Caribou Gear

Scope advice for my new rifle. The NEW Savage Model 110 Long Range Hunter with Accufit stock in .300 WSM

.270 winchester. I bought it primarily to pronghorn hunt. I bowhunted for deer. It really shoots flat with hornady 130 gr interbonds. I filled 3 tags a year for quite a few years with that rifle. The only reason I changed scopes is because I drew one of 10 elk tags in the same unit where I live. The accu-fit stock on your Savage is a good deal. I went with high rings to give that nikon 50 bell enough clearance above the barrel. The cheek meld suffers a bit as a result. The acid test is to bring the rifle up to the shoulder, close the eyes, then drop the head on the stock. When the eyes are open I should see clearly through the scope. I am a bit low. I ordered a neoprene cheek riser kit. Will see how that works out.

Sweet deal my youngest bro who is going out to Idaho for Mule Deer and I love our .270s. I hand load 130 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips which would be perfect for deer and those speed goats. If I didn't have this Savage LRH in .300 WSM on order and took my .270 I would load up some .150 grain Nosler Partitions or Accubonds, maybe 145 grain Hornady ELD-X, I am sure there are some other premium elk shoulder busting options too. I noticed that the cheek weld was more of a chin weld with that 50 mm and high rings which one has to use on such a large objective, but didn't say anything. My youngest brother had a Bushnell 6-18x50 on his old Savage model 110 in 7mm Rem Mag with the high rings and I noticed the same thing. Since he has a military discount, he switched it out for a Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14 x 40 with the Windplex reticle and it is MUCH better. I am sure that that cheek riser kit will help out tremendously, hopefully in black to keep the sleek look.

Eurooptic has meopta meopro scopes on sale for under 500. Best scope you can get under 500.
When I use to work at Cabela's in Wheeling, WV I really liked their binoculars. Almost Swarovski clear, but priced in a much better and affordable range for the average person.

I am no scope expert by a long ways but I'll put my two cents in anyway. When I was looking for a new scope this spring I went to our Sportsman's Warehouse (several times) and looked through every scope they had. I didn't pay attention to brand or price but was looking for a scope that was clear and fit my eye. After doing some more research I ended up deciding on a Vortex strike eagle 3 x 18 x 44. This one fit my eye really well and when I pulled it up I got a fast "sight picture" even better than some of the $1000.00 scopes. Everybody is different so I would suggest looking through all the scopes you can get your hands on to find one that feels natural.
Thanks I would have to agree it is best to actually get one's hands on some clear and put your eye behind it to really get to know what it would be like and not just shop online. I am off work the next two days, so I plan for one of them to go to Cabela's and talk to some old friends from when I worked there and try out a few scopes that I am interested in that they have in stock.

Thanks I would have to agree it is best to actually get one's hands on some clear and put your eye behind it to really get to know what it would be like and not just shop online. I am off work the next two days, so I plan for one of them to go to Cabela's and talk to some old friends from when I worked there and try out a few scopes that I am interested in that they have in stock.
The cabelas instinct scopes are rebranded meopta meopros if they have one to look through.

The cabelas instinct scopes are rebranded meopta meopros if they have one to look through.
Thanks good to know, even though all I see are the Covenant scopes on their website. Makes sense that they would use their high quality glass. I will have to make a short list of the ones that I am most interested in, before going up there.

Thanks everyone for your input and advice, I have a while to think about it plus I have to save some $$$ to get a quality scope to go with such a nice rifle that I want to use for my future ventures out west where the ranges are MUCH MORE vast than here at home in West Virginia. I will let everyone know what I end up with and post a picture of the rifle with the scope on it when it all comes together at the right time. Good luck everyone and God Bless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back