It's a shame how some folks butcher a Savage Model 99

TomTeriffic

Witness the scope mount screws right through the Savage trademark. A Savage lever is an American woods gun. No scope needed. Production Savage Model 99 scope mounting provisions did not have holes drilled and tapped through any letters or numbers. The trademark would be below the scope holes atop the receiver on the left flank of the chamber. If Savage put the trademark top dead center, the gun was never intended for anything else but iron sights. One thing I look for when I buy a gun, new or secondhand, is the quality and neatness of the markings. I don't like rusted or pitted markings. I don't like markings with cockeyed characters or uneven impression depths. Many newer production guns skimp on markings quality and legibility. This can be a deal-breaker for me. It looks like this Savage would have retained beautiful trademark impressions if it hadn't had been for some drill-happy clown.
savage 99 butcher.jpg

Last edited:
Probably an older hunter whose eyesight was fading, so he needed a scope because he couldn't see the iron sights. Couldn't afford a different rifle so he made do with what he had. Probably a machinist that did it himself just to get meat for the table, not having any idea about future value of the rifle. I can see where he was coming from, but don't think it helped the collector's value.

Probably an older hunter whose eyesight was fading, so he needed a scope because he couldn't see the iron sights. Couldn't afford a different rifle so he made do with what he had. Probably a machinist that did it himself just to get meat for the table, not having any idea about future value of the rifle. I can see where he was coming from, but don't think it helped the collector's value.
I saw a yoo-toob with a young punk who inherited his grandad's Savage 99. A big-arse scope on top. He was in a blind and shot a doe so close you could throw a rock at her with one hand behind your back. He ended up shooting Miss Doe in the arse even with a scope!! Looks like he wounded more than one doe point blank. He would fail BRM qualification miserably in the American army. It is young Tampex like this that American hunters get beat up by the Left.

Last edited:
Witness the scope mount screws right through the Savage trademark. A Savage lever is an American woods gun. No scope needed. Production Savage Model 99 scope mounting provisions did not have holes drilled and tapped through any letters or numbers. The trademark would be below the scope holes atop the receiver on the left flank of the chamber. If Savage put the trademark top dead center, the gun was never intended for anything else but iron sights. One thing I look for when I buy a gun, new or secondhand, is the quality and neatness of the markings. I don't like rusted or pitted markings. I don't like markings with cockeyed characters or uneven impression depths. Many newer production guns skimp on markings quality and legibility. This can be a deal-breaker for me. It looks like this Savage would have retained beautiful trademark impressions if it hadn't had been for some drill-happy clown.
View attachment 206873
I would put a scope on there and cover up that Savagery.
In the person's defense, they probably had no clue that the internet was coming.

I don’t like tomatoes. Anybody that would put them on a sandwich is an idiot. Why would you do that? Call me old fashioned but a sandwich is bread, meat, cheese, and then bread again. No need to complicate it with vegetables or even worse - a fruit. I saw a yoooooooo-toooooooooobe one time of a guy that actually put lettuce AND tomatoes on a sandwich. Absolutely deplorable. Imagine that, a vegetable AND a fruit. AT THE SAME TIME.

I don’t like tomatoes. Anybody that would put them on a sandwich is an idiot. Why would you do that? Call me old fashioned but a sandwich is bread, meat, cheese, and then bread again. No need to complicate it with vegetables or even worse - a fruit. I saw a yoooooooo-toooooooooobe one time of a guy that actually put lettuce AND tomatoes on a sandwich. Absolutely deplorable. Imagine that, a vegetable AND a fruit. AT THE SAME TIME.
But what if you put fruit and vegetables on a sammich made with a vegetable eating deer?

I saw a yoo-toob with a young punk who inherited his grandad's Savage 99. A big-arse scope on top. He was in a blind and shot a doe so close you could throw a rock at her with one hand behind your back. He ended up shooting Miss Doe in the arse even with a scope!! Looks like he wounded more than one doe point blank. He would fail BRM qualification miserably in the American army. It is young Tampex like this that American hunters get beat up by the Left.

I bet you're a real joy to be around.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back