Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Finally time to do some reloading for my Savage Model 110 Long Range Hunter in 300 WSM.

Changing primer's was never a problem with me. What ever difference they made didn't seem to amount to much so long as I used the same primer's in every bunch I loaded. But one time I did some experimenting as I have a ton of old Herter primer's. Made up some loads the same with one brand primer and then with Herter from the same box of case's. Herter primer's out shot the other's by a good bit. I think they were either Winchester or CCI primer's. BTW, even the other primer's gave me group's I could live with easily!

I've tried H4350, IMR4350, H4831sc and have had the best results with it. Yesterday shot a 1/2 moa 3 shot group with 67.0 gr H4831sc and 180gr accubond loaded to 2.875". 1st and 3rd round were in the same hole. Haven't shot across the chronograph yet to find es. Have heard the velocity can be a little below norm with this powder so also loaded 69, 69.5, 70 grs because other guys seem to find another node in this area.
Thank you Zach. A guy that I know that shoots long range matches with various calibers recently got a target rifle in .300 WSM and he highly recommended those two powders in H4350 and H4831sc. My brother bought some regular H4831 for his .270, so I plan on trying some myself especially when I get some 180s.

Understanding these terms and being able to calculate them for a given rifle and a given bullet is a useful handloading skill, but in many factory rifles with drop box magazines and with many of the longer high BC bullets, you can't get close enough to 0.010" or 0.050" from lands for that to matter. Often a good place to start is OAL 0.015" less than max magazine length.
I agree with this. I have never played the measuring game and depending on the cartridge, I am just barely over book recommendations, or just under max mag length, depending. I have never had a problem getting great accuracy, just using actual book length, either.

It is real easy to get overly concerned with measuring the distance to the lands, etc. If you are a bench-rester, maybe, but for great hunting accuracy, keep it simple and go shoot stuff!

Lee dies themselves can be the problem. If crimping ever improves accuracy, there was a problem that should have been solved via some other method.

Just because Nosler data shows a higher (or jus different) charge weight than Hodgdon, doesn’t mean that their data is wrong, faulty, or intentionally misleading. Nosler uses Nosler brass(Norma), and sometimes uses barrel lengths and twists that are offered in Nosler guns. You should definitely alter your velocity expectations based on your own barrel length. You should always start 10% below max and work up watching for signs of excess pressure. Not only do different brands(and lots) or brass have different internal capacities, but different lots of powder have different burn rates and energy densities, and different barrels and chambers have their own minor variations as well.

Hodgdon manuals and their online database contain an enormous number of loads that haven’t been tested in many decades. Ever notice loads with pressure listed in CUP? That load has not been tested by Hodgdon since before SAAMI changed from CUP to PSI. Before Hodgdon bought IMR from Dupont, Hodgdon and IMR powders sharing the same number were different powders. Since that merge occurred, some IMR powders were replaced with their Hodgdon equivalents with neither a change in the label nor an update to the load data. Hodgdon has even completely changed powders without changing the name, the label or the load data. They operate on the basis that if a powder is within 5% on burn rate and energy density, then it’s basically interchangeable.

When accounting for barrel length and brass, I’ve found Nosler load data to be as reliable as anyone else’s, and they are ALL just starting points.

Thanks everyone for your input so far I am definitely learning a whole bunch and will be taking notes 📝. I am excited and want to get this right in a safe and repeatable way.

I have a good load using varget and 165 accubonds 025 off the lands. I dont go for speed bu accuracy. At 100 yards I get a 1 1/4 in group so I'm happy with that. Now I cant find any varget anywhere so any suggestions on a close equivalent to varget?

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back