Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Do Remington rifles deserve a premium now?

I think the feature that locks the bolt is great. I remember one time walking with the rifle on safe slung over such that it banged my leg and opened the bolt ejecting the round. Any smith should be able to mill a groove into the new actions to accommodate these older triggers.
I’ve had an unlocked bolt happen, and I do like the ability to lock the bolt. The problem is that the old triggers that locked the bolts, were a two-position safety, you were on safe and your bolt was locked, or you were off safe, and your bolt was unlocked. The trigger was not locked when on safe, only the trigger sear where it interface the bolt sear. As a result, the trigger could be accidentally pulled, and fail to reset. You could not clear the chamber without taking the rifle off safety, and when you did, the rifle would fire. Personally, I would rather put a loop over the bolt handle like Rinella does, and be able to clear the chamber while leaving the rifle on safe. I like the updated triggers once I swap springs out. My jewel also does not lock the bolt when on safety.

I’ve had an unlocked bolt happen, and I do like the ability to lock the bolt. The problem is that the old triggers that locked the bolts, were a two-position safety, you were on safe and your bolt was locked, or you were off safe, and your bolt was unlocked. The trigger was not locked when on safe, only the trigger sear where it interface the bolt sear. As a result, the trigger could be accidentally pulled, and fail to reset. You could not clear the chamber without taking the rifle off safety, and when you did, the rifle would fire. Personally, I would rather put a loop over the bolt handle like Rinella does, and be able to clear the chamber while leaving the rifle on safe. I like the updated triggers once I swap springs out. My jewel also does not lock the bolt when on safety.
I have an older Shilen trigger with the bolt locking safety and it locks as it should and when the trigger is pulled nothing happens when you take off the safety and/or open the bolt. Back then one had to use the safety from the Remington trigger as the Shilens came bare bones.

I have an older Shilen trigger with the bolt locking safety and it locks as it should and when the trigger is pulled nothing happens when you take off the safety and/or open the bolt. Back then one had to use the safety from the Remington trigger as the Shilens came bare bones.
They don’t fire automatically. If the trigger is operating 100% properly, it will not happen. It happens if the trigger was pulled(even by some brush you walked through) and failed to reset. The original “Walker” trigger does not block the trigger when the safety is on. It only blocks the trigger sear where it interfaces the sear on the firing pin. The trigger SHOULD always reset. It usually fails as a result of getting some schmutz or dirt into the trigger, wear on the sear, or someone adjusting it improperly. In the third case, it’s possible to adjust a 700 trigger down to a very light range and get what appears to be functionality because trigger will reset perfectly when you pull the trigger, then cycle the bolt, BUT if you put it on safety and pull the trigger, the sear drops and the trigger spring can’t reset it without cycling the bolt. If for one of those three reasons, the trigger is accidentally pulled while the safety is on(which blocks the sear but not the trigger) and the trigger fails to fully reset, then the sear is free to fall as soon as the trigger is taken off safety....bang.

They’re still great triggers, and frankly, not one person who sued Remington after a accidentally killing a friend or family member when they took the safety off would have harmed a loved one if they had pointed the gun in a safe direction at all times.

Last edited:
I wouldn't expect the Shilen to have the same issues as a Remington. I have one older trigger sans safety I could mount up just to see, but likely not worth the hassle. I'd have remove the Shilen take off the safety and remount onto the old Remington. I've yet to have any issues with gunk in my triggers. But yeah, I like the bolt locking feature. IIRC with the old Mauser 3 position safety you can open the bolt with the safety on to unload first. Might be worth pursuing.

The "premium" price thing comes from people selling, and probably more from people buying something because it might be scarce. Just like components or ammo. If the cheapest Savage was discontinued today, tomorrow it would command a "premium". mtmuley
See it a lot. people looking at buying a rifle and mostly concerned aout it holding it's resale value, investing in 99.9% of the rifles out there is a bad investment! I am not qualified to judge the build quality of any rifle but I know what I like and for me it's about looks and handling. I suspect any rifle you buy will last a long long time if you take care of it! I would not pay a premium for any rifle based on build quality, matter of fact the only thing that could get a premium price out of me is a rifle that pumped my ego. I would love to have a Dick Bortmuss rifle and I have a Paul Jaeger rifle. Wouldn't pay the price of them today though! Got more time than I got money! Sound's like out there in the shooting world buying gun's and ammo/reloading component's is like playing the stock market!

I wouldn't expect the Shilen to have the same issues as a Remington. I have one older trigger sans safety I could mount up just to see, but likely not worth the hassle. I'd have remove the Shilen take off the safety and remount onto the old Remington. I've yet to have any issues with gunk in my triggers. But yeah, I like the bolt locking feature. IIRC with the old Mauser 3 position safety you can open the bolt with the safety on to unload first. Might be worth pursuing.
That’s what I’m getting at. The old triggers lock the bolt, but you can’s clear the chamber without taking it off safe. The new triggers allow you to clear the chamber while remaining on safe, but brush can drag your bolt open. A third position is required to off both features. The old Mauser safeties did have all three positions, but they would not clear your scope. I’m not aware of any three position Mauser safeties that worked will with a mounted scope.

The Gentry works well. I have had it for a couple of years and have no complaints.H&H 007.JPG

Can't see why this wouldn't.
I've never tried but does the bolt shroud unscrew on a Remington 700 bolt?

Just looking at the pics I assume the safety lever is always on the same side of the bolt regardless of which of the 3 positions it's in.

Yes the bolt shroud unscrews. The safety moves forward and back like a Winchester or newer Ruger 77. It stays in position when the bolt rotates. The cocking piece on the bottom keeps it aligned.

Funny they don't offer in stainless.

IMO they do not deserve a premium. But, I'd not be against buying one if it came in a configuration/chambering that I liked. However, I'd not build on one unless I could get into the action for a song. Other options out there I like better now for building on.

Bought my first 700 just after the 7 RUM's hit the shelves in 2001....had no idea what I was doing and was compelled by the oohs and aahs of fellow shooters. Nice looking rifle, laminated stainless steel model (LSS)...poorly supported ammunition, as most new models are, I was never satisfied with it's accuracy, even after loading for it. Think I paid around 900. To put in nicely that 900 has bloomed as it was almost constantly tinkered and now exists as a Dan Coffin 300 RUM...Mickey stock, Lilja, Timney..the usual menu. I concur with the nays regarding premium worth. Steal em & trick em if it suits your sensibiities and wallet. Tricking a rifle is like doing the math on how much your freezer elk computes per pound.

I was referring to the Gentry 3 position safety which seems to be offered in blued only. I have 3 stainless steel 700s. Since one can blue SS why not offer all SS and blue as needed?

Last edited:
I've had my 700 since the late 70's. Used $750. Did the NHY dance on it thru the years. Priceless to me.
Maybe someday I will get a premium Weatherby. Maybe.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back