Do Remington rifles deserve a premium now?

Under the purchase option drop down menu there is no option to buy a SS version is what I'm reading.

There's no SS purchase option under custom installation either.

What needs to be done in order to install one other than replacing the bolt shroud and removing the old one from the trigger? Looks like about $300 plus shipping your barreled action back and forth.

I still like the ones [Jewell and TriggerTech] that are on mine now. I'd even consider milling a groove by the magazine cutout so I can use the old style safety.

Last edited:
The installation instructions used to be on their website. It is not a simple thing to do.

My favorite hunting rifle is a 700 Xcr2 in 270. I put it in a Mc millan classic edge and put in a Timney trigger. But I wouldnt pay a premium for one. If possible I would just wait for production to start back. Theres plenty of great rifles to buy and use while Remington gets it sorted out. That said I never let a few hundred bucks stop me from getting what I really wanted.

Are Remingtons demanding a premium now? Absolutely. Is a premium justified? I don't think so. My safe is full of Remington rifles and shotguns, and I love them for what they are. The last 10+ years of Remington and Marlin have been spotty at best on the QC front, so maybe the older classic stuff like JM Marlins and Wingmasters are worth more. For a long time, the best Remington pattern rifles haven't been made by Remington, and you're way better off buying an aftermarket receiver as a basis for a build. The last two 700s and 1 Model 7 I tried to have built were so bad they couldn't even be properly blueprinted.

Cripes, I bought a Model 700 Mountain Rifle in .280 back in 1986 for my bear rifle when I ran a fly fishing lodge in Labrador, Anvik River Lodge. Thing was sweet. One of the guns I wish I hadn't sold.

The new owners of Remington are shipping guns now. They reopened the factory at the beginning of May and 870’s are already hitting stores (the local Cabelas just received some yesterday). Not sure if they’re new productions or completions of 870’s they had laying around when the court shut the factory down in September. The boxes have a “Remington Arms” [legal name under new ownership] sticker slapped over the “Remington Arms Company” [legal name of previous ownership] sticker.

The new owners said they’d start making 870’s then 700’s. So I imagine the price of 700’s will drop back to normal very soon.

Under the purchase option drop down menu there is no option to buy a SS version is what I'm reading.

There's no SS purchase option under custom installation either.

What needs to be done in order to install one other than replacing the bolt shroud and removing the old one from the trigger? Looks like about $300 plus shipping your barreled action back and forth.

I still like the ones [Jewell and TriggerTech] that are on mine now. I'd even consider milling a groove by the magazine cutout so I can use the old style safety.
I would imagine that firing pin modification is required. I don’t know for sure.

I hunt with 700s primarily and have never had a three position safety. I would prefer all three positions, BUT if I had to choose between locking the bolt when on safe and risking the gun firing when safety is removed, and leaving bolt unlocked, so that I can clear the chamber while the sear is blocked, but risk having my bolt pulled open by brush, I prefer to leave the bolt unlocked(new 700 triggers) over locking the bolt, but being unable to clear the chamber with a blocked sear(original 700 triggers). Both have advantages, both have disadvantages. I understand preferring the old style. I prefer the new style. A three position is the best of both worlds, but they are inherently more complex, and when the factory doesn’t even offer that option, it gets even more expensive.

I sure love a Mauser three position.

No, they should not draw a premium.
But that's only because i found a barrel, cases & dies that i really want tbat has Rem 700 threads on the barrel.

I think anything you buy is worth what you paid for it if your happy with it! The one and only reason pre 64's are worth what is asked for them is because people are willing to pay the price and glad to do it. Pre 64 won't do much of anything most any other rifle won't also do except cost you more!

I think anything you buy is worth what you paid for it if your happy with it! The one and only reason pre 64's are worth what is asked for them is because people are willing to pay the price and glad to do it. Pre 64 won't do much of anything most any other rifle won't also do except cost you more!
Your words are so very true and well said , I have many rifles and I am not brand snobbish . I find several Remingtons to be my most prized rifles . Remington made a very good product which has never failed me.

Back