Caribou Gear Tarp

Do Nonresidents have a reasonable chance of drawing Bison, Moose, Sheep, or Goat tags

Somehow the best sheep tag in Idaho is consistently drawn by a non resident. I think it’s been close to a decade (or the last tag reduction) since a resident drew it
Don't believe this. Non-Residents have no chance of drawing the big three in Idaho and should no bother putting in.

Actually @TheTone is pretty much right on. I don't know actuarial tables, but I know more NR who have drawn and killed a moose in Idaho than I do residents.

Last edited:
nonresidents are screwed over enough by the system. if I die prematurely before cashing in points, the only winner is the state. put a clause in that inheritance of points much be used by a certain date and no further points can be purchased.
Wasn't aware that a state owed your heir a permit because you bought points.

The point system will change in the future, in every state. How could it not? It will move more and more toward random draw or bonus points vs preference as the total number of people with max points increases and far outnumber the total tags available. When you have kids building points at age 1 in some states. How is that sustainable 50 years from now? The only limit is how long you live.

Most (all?) of the states with point systems have changed them since they started.

We need get past this mentality that we "deserve" a tag because we put in for a tag for x number of years. How does applying make you more deserving of a public resource?

*Hell scape of 2038 Hunttalk*

"How many points does it take to draw a Sheep tag in CO?"

"387"

"?"

"Oh yeah, unless both of your parents and all 4 of your grand parents gave you their points you don't have a chance"

--------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile in the court room

"John S. Hunter died intestate"

Jack Hunter is suing Bill Hunter for his dads hunting points. Someone gets the fun job of assigning a monetary value for the points.
Basically got to be sheep hunting royalty and have a blood test proving relation to Jack O’Connor.

Very expensive option as a non resident. You would be better served to hire a guide in AK or CA. I had a great moose hunt in Newfie for $5800 I think it was. Of course that has went up since my trip in 2018 I think.
its a bit expensive you have to buy a license and pay for the tag $2600 but that gets refunded if you dont draw but it gets you in the game for the chance of a sheep tag slim chance but still a chance

We need get past this mentality that we "deserve" a tag because we put in for a tag for x number of years. How does applying make you more deserving of a public resource?
I agree with everything you said. Right or wrong, I think the feeling of entitlement has grown as the cost of purchasing a point has increased. It’s hard for many people to wrap their mind around the idea that they are buying blue sky when they purchase a point that might cost $150-$200. The wildlife agencies have gotten themselves into a predicament where they rely on that money. Change will come slowly unless they can find another scheme to strip those Benjamins from hunters’ wallets. But it will come.

Don't believe this. Non-Residents have no chance of drawing the big three in Idaho and should no bother putting in.

Actually @TheTone is pretty much right on. I don't know actuarial tables, but I know more NR who have drawn and killed a moose in Idaho than I do residents.
Lots of units in Idaho that have a 30-100% non resident chance at drawing bull moose. The catch is that the odds move from unit to unit as people read statistics.
Also prepare to get your teeth kicked in by the logistics during some of the hunts with higher odds.

Last edited:
When the boomers go, so too will their anti-math point systems.

The CO point system for MSG, a system so convoluted only a dozen or so people can explain, and only 1 maybe 2 people in the country can actually math out the odds for... :rolleyes:

Lots of units in Idaho that have a 30-100% non resident chance at drawing bull moose. The catch is that the odds move from unit to unit as people read statistics.
Also prepare to get your teeth kicked in by the logistics during some of the hunts with higher odds.
Or near complete lack of moose

The wife has been packing a 6% odds tag around and we have only seen 4 moose.
Ouch. Friend of mines wife has what I consider a pretty good tag, only bull they have seen had maybe 5-6 inch long antlers

I agree with everything you said. Right or wrong, I think the feeling of entitlement has grown as the cost of purchasing a point has increased. It’s hard for many people to wrap their mind around the idea that they are buying blue sky when they purchase a point that might cost $150-$200. The wildlife agencies have gotten themselves into a predicament where they rely on that money. Change will come slowly unless they can find another scheme to strip those Benjamins from hunters’ wallets. But it will come.
The states could always decide to sacrifice one additional animal per unit like Oregon did with their "Premium" tag draw.
Makes them an additional million bucks a year.

Ouch. Friend of mines wife has what I consider a pretty good tag, only bull they have seen had maybe 5-6 inch long antlers
5" or 6"? It makes a difference ;)

central Idahohas 3 tags in 5 units. The moose density is pretty much non existent.
I'm going to start a (help I suck at hunting) thread whe she starts to lose faith in me.

Point creep is real. I picked one CO ewe hunt code to demonstrate below. The number of points listed is the number the lowest NR successful applicant had. Licenses have also been reduced over that time due to a population decline in the unit.

2016 – 2nd choice
2017 – 2nd choice
2018 – 0 points
2019 – 0 points
2020 – 2 points
2021 – 2 points
So true. I drew ewe as NR as 2nd choice so kept my sheep points intact. That was 2012 and was on that hunt in early October so 9 years ago this week. Around $2000 for the ewe tag but had the money to burn with an itch to scratch. Awesome country and got to sleep at the top of a mountain for the first time.

CO 2012 Ewe.jpg

Not accurate. You can count up how many bull moose tags were awarded to NR. Or, if want a cow moose tag, count up how many cow moose tags were awarded to NR. Then look up how many NR applicants there were for bull. Or, cow. Now, divide species NR tags by species NR applicants. Those are your odds and in no year is that 30% much less 100%. GMU-level past results are simply no more relevant than using last month's lottery numbers for your ticket this week.

You can use some strategy on the GMU to select as your one and only choice. For example, a significant portion of NR sheep applicants chase a single sheep GMU. Apply for any other sheep GMU and your odds are higher than what would anticipate by dividing NR sheep tags awarded divided by all NR sheep applicants.

Unless I mistaken all big three applications in Idaho are drawn from the same pool, both residents and non residents…until the NR cap is met. So your can’t look at your application vs the total applications for the GMU, you odds are vs the total NR pool till the cap is met.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back