Do Nonresidents have a reasonable chance of drawing Bison, Moose, Sheep, or Goat tags

matechakeric

in the lower 48 without going through an outfitter in less than 25-30 years of point building or applying?

40 years, sure. Hope you're still in high school and the lizard people haven't taken over by then.
haha I'm not. I'm in my 30s so if I ever drew up, i doubt I'd have the legs to handle such a tag

seems like Alaska may have better odds than the lower 48 for certain species but would require a guide or resident

Last edited:
Your odds as a nonresident will be in the single digits over your lifetime in a given state for a given species, with few exceptions, and with point schemes, your odds get worse, not better, being on the bottom of the pile.

I agree with the Lloyd Christmas analogy, though.

Super low odds and in several States the odds are practically zero chance. So really it depends if your talking about a preference point State that ship sailed long ago unless they change the systems. Bonus point States still very slim chance but a chance. Most of these States have thousands of applicants with 20 years invested and tag numbers seem to decrease each year for most States.
My advice is save your bucks and go guided in Canada or AK.

The odds are terrible...not sure what you think is reasonable. There are clearly ways to improve your odds.

A non-resident of Colorado could possibly hunt the females of all the species excluding bison in a 5 year time span. Just something to think about. The goat would take a little luck, but moose and sheep would be easy.

Idaho isnt a point system so I apply their a 10% RN cap makes the odds still small been trying to get a tag abt 10yrs no luck yet
and send donations to quite a few raffles every yr still small odds but the $ goes to a great cause

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
troutflys
Back