Caribou Gear

Do Nonresidents have a reasonable chance of drawing Bison, Moose, Sheep, or Goat tags

For me it comes down to if I am okay with not hunting them if I don’t ever draw a tag or win a raffle? My answer was/is no. So I found ways to pay for it and go hunt and experience it all and I plan to continue that into the future. If ever draw a tag it will be a bonus.

Last edited:
Ok. Don't apply then.
Exactly. And that is my recommendation to the OP's direct question. Adding to the point creep issue, states are likely to be changing the rules as you go - and NOT in your favor, and I see very little reason to waste money on playing their game. Imagine playing 5-card draw and the dealer decides dueces and the 9 of clubs are wild AFTER he has drawn his three cards.

This will be the death of hunting, in my opinion.

Exactly. And that is my recommendation to the OP's direct question. Adding to the point creep issue, states are likely to be changing the rules as you go - and NOT in your favor, and I see very little reason to waste money on playing their game. Imagine playing 5-card draw and the dealer decides dueces and the 9 of clubs are wild AFTER he has drawn his three cards.

To be more accurate if the other players at the table petition the dealer to make the 9 of clubs wild, because they haven't won a hand yet and it's unfair.

Point creep is real. I picked one CO ewe hunt code to demonstrate below. The number of points listed is the number the lowest NR successful applicant had. Licenses have also been reduced over that time due to a population decline in the unit.

2016 – 2nd choice
2017 – 2nd choice
2018 – 0 points
2019 – 0 points
2020 – 2 points
2021 – 2 points

When I looked at the prices of the points in WY decided the cash from those could go toward random raffles or be saved to pay for an easier Elk antelope or deer tag.

Here's another one.

2016 – 1 point
2017 – 2nd choice
2018 – 0 points
2019 – 12 points (someone made a boo boo)
2020 – 2nd choice
2021 – 4 points
My bet is the 12 pointer just got tired of waiting and gave up

Reactions: Oak
I wish you could could hand your points over to the next generation. Points shouldn't die when you do
I can't stress how much I disagree with that idea.

If anything we should get rid of points. All states with bonus points, stop issuing today, all pref point states convert pref to bonus and then stop issuing points.

The points schemes were a bad idea.

Idaho isnt a point system so I apply their a 10% RN cap makes the odds still small been trying to get a tag abt 10yrs no luck yet
and send donations to quite a few raffles every yr still small odds but the $ goes to a great cause
Very expensive option as a non resident. You would be better served to hire a guide in AK or CA. I had a great moose hunt in Newfie for $5800 I think it was. Of course that has went up since my trip in 2018 I think.

Oh no. The only thing worse than a point system for S/M/G would be a transferable point system
*Hell scape of 2038 Hunttalk*

"How many points does it take to draw a Sheep tag in CO?"

"387"

"?"

"Oh yeah, unless both of your parents and all 4 of your grand parents gave you their points you don't have a chance"

--------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile in the court room

"John S. Hunter died intestate"

Jack Hunter is suing Bill Hunter for his dads hunting points. Someone gets the fun job of assigning a monetary value for the points.

Oh man, that's a bad idea. Maybe the worst idea ever on Hunttalk.
nonresidents are screwed over enough by the system. if I die prematurely before cashing in points, the only winner is the state. put a clause in that inheritance of points much be used by a certain date and no further points can be purchased.

I can't stress how much I disagree with that idea.

If anything we should get rid of points. All states with bonus points, stop issuing today, all pref point states convert pref to bonus and then stop issuing points.

The points schemes were a bad idea.
i wish the point system altogether would die

nonresidents are screwed over enough by the system. if I die prematurely before cashing in points, the only winner is the state. put a clause in that inheritance of points much be used by a certain date and no further points can be purchased.
Then don’t play point games. NM and ID don’t have points. Other options include raffles, transferable tags, guided hunts, DIY AK, auctions, reissue lists, and WY random pool to name most of the other options. If you box yourself in “having” to play the point game it can look depressing but why box yourself in?

I’m going moose hunting someday, and I’ll be writing a check. Just a reality, but not that terrible of a reality.

Back