Do headlamps scare game?

belly-deep

What do ya think?

I guess there is no way to know for sure...when its dark you can't see them spooking...

But say a critter can see your headlamp as you hike up the other side of a drainage, 1/2 mile away?

Seems to me like it wouldn't worry them too much. I've hunted places where you can see headlights of vehicles driving down on the main roads, a few miles off, and the critters are still around when the sun comes up. I don't think an animal would be able to tell the difference in distance in the dark, but give me your thoughts, please...

We were packing out a bull this archery season in a "premium" Colorado area. There were 5-6 bulls ahead of us just screaming 500 yards away or so, I mean screaming, none of that pretty 3 note bugle crap. We had on head lamps and were walking straight towards them. They didn't really part or take of until we were right in the middle of them. So either they were rutted up or didn't give a crap. It was pretty cool, almost alarming.

I end up using my headlamp like a lighthouse when public land waterfowling. That sinking feeling at first visible light when you look across the marsh all of 68 1/2 yards away and see three guys two dogs and four Mojos flailing away.....Not priceless!

I end up using my headlamp like a lighthouse when public land waterfowling. That sinking feeling at first visible light when you look across the marsh all of 68 1/2 yards away and see three guys two dogs and four Mojos flailing away.....Not priceless!

haha

I know a guy that goes around in the dark and puts those light sticks (ya know the ones you break center in and they glow for a few hours) around him when he's waterfowling in popular areas. Its almost like decoying...but in reverse

I don't think it does a whole lot to them. I don't think they even know what it is, or they can reason enough to equate it with "danger"/human. If they see your human figure, or smell you, then you are done. I have walked up on plenty of elk in "my spot", they must have seen the light coming through the timber for a looooonnnngggg time before they spooked, and that usually isn't until I am inside 60 yards or so from them.

Probably doesn't matter, but I use a green colored headlamp.

The thing I think is most important is to think about what you are illuminating with your headlamp. As long as the light is shining on things like rocks, trees, brush, etc. there is nothing to concern an animal.

The thing that blows me away is when you are hunting with someone and they stop to talk to you and shine their headlamp right in your face. That's a little pet peeve of mine.

I read an article in Deer and Deer Hunting about how using a light affects deer. According to studies the light has minimal affect on Deer, but going in to a stand making noise spooks the deer. The article concluded if a light makes you quieter going in your better off to use one than not. Also on public land where there is a lot of pressure it can add a safety factor as well.

Funny you should ask this.2 years ago while hunting public swamp land in Minn I was going to my stand in the morning and came face to face (within 5 yards) of a 5point buck in the dark. We stared each other down for a couple minutes before he took off so I dont think it spooks them to bad.

I don't think it is the light that scares them so much as it is that loud boom and pain in their side right after they see the light.

I've walked right up to a cow and calf elk with my green light on and we all scared each other....they split and I realized we were only 30 or so feet from each other...crazy. I don't think they care honestly if you're quiet. There's was a couple inches of snow on the ground that made me silent!!

Apparently lights draw deer to you, or at least to your vehicle. I had this experience last night when a fawn ran out of the ditch, full bore right into my door. Little b**tard!!

This is along the same line as Dink. I had killed a bull in a meadow in a wilderness area about an hour before dark. Where we were hunting the meadow was backed up by a pretty steep rock face with Quakies along the base. As I was butchering the bull we had our headlamps on and the elk steadily streamed by with no fear whatsoever of us, lights or the dead bull. John

Back