DeLorme Topo 8.0

Ben Lamb

Has anybody used the 8.0 version? I'm seeing it fairly cheap on the net, and had used 4.0 in the past, but was curious if I'd be wasting time and money instead of just going for the HuntingGP Maps.com?

I'm using Mapsource right now, but they seem to leave a bit to be desired as far as fine detail.

If you're going to buy Topo, buy NA 9. Versions before that didn't have much in the way of a usable public lands layer. I assume you have a Garmin GPSr. What are you wanting the software to do?

Running a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx.

Ideally, I'd like the software to show property ownership, current BLM, USFS, etc trails and roads as well as be able to plot routes and the usual. I'm still learning how to use the unit, and was looking to stepup from the Garmin software. The price of the 8.0 was more appealing than anything else, which is why I was more interested in it.

Ben are you using a micro sd card? Or loading directly to your units memory? I will be doing maps from the GPS Filedepot again in mid august when they update cadastral data. I build my map sets exactly as you described what you want. If you can wait until they update the cadastral in august, I'll just copy and paste it onto your Micro SD when I do mine. I kill a lot of animals on the "fringes" and my GPS is such a useful tool for hunting the properties that many people don't realize are huntable.

Dustin,

I've got the 2 gig SD card so I can do it either way. Completely forgot about Cadastral. I can certainly wait, right now I'm only using my GPS for working out and hiking/fishing. Nothing too major and the Mapsource software and maps that came with the unit will work fine for now.

Thanks!

If I was using a Garmin, I'd take advantage of as much free stuff as I could. You can overlay public lands on Google Earth using the BLM GeoCommunicator for example. Are you looking for more detail on your GPSr or computer?

WT, Definitely will take advantage of all free stuff I can.

Mostly looking for more detail for the computer so I can transfer it over to the unit. I'm a little simple on the techno end and will be taking more time this summer to get all of my bugs ironed out with the unit. So far, I'm loving the simplicity of design and use, but I know there's a lot more it could do than I have the knowledge for.

I'm using Topo 8.0 to build all my maps; however, I don't use the Delorme GPS so I don't take full advantage of the capabilities. That said, I love it and if anything it's a great way to build trail maps.

but was curious if I'd be wasting time and money instead of just going for the HuntingGP Maps.com?

My question also...I realize it might come down to cost. But sometimes time is money, and the amount of time to compile all this data, transferring it to the device, etc. For the price the HuntingGPS Maps seems like an ideal solution when it is already all compiled for the entrie state. This might make more sense in your home state, rather then for a specific area for another state you might have drawn. The HuntingGPS Maps also seems like a very good solution with regards to using it for bird hunting with all the BLM lands shown on it, which is usually quite the patchwork in some areas.

My question also...I realize it might come down to cost. But sometimes time is money, and the amount of time to compile all this data, transferring it to the device, etc. For the price the HuntingGPS Maps seems like an ideal solution when it is already all compiled for the entrie state. This might make more sense in your home state, rather then for a specific area for another state you might have drawn. The HuntingGPS Maps also seems like a very good solution with regards to using it for bird hunting with all the BLM lands shown on it, which is usually quite the patchwork in some areas.

My 20 minutes to build my maps from a free website where the data is all compiled is well worth a hundred bucks.

Mostly looking for more detail for the computer so I can transfer it over to the unit.

I could be wrong but I don't think you'd be able to upload the Topo map imagery to a Garmin. Vector data (waypoint, route) yes, but I don't think so on the imagery. Below are examples of the difference in public land depiction between Topo 8 and 9. Same zoom level in both images. You can zoom in a lot further and still display public lands in 9 than in 8 too.

How BLM was depicted in 8:
file.php

Same area depicted in 9:
file.php

WT,
Can't see the pics unless I register at DeLorme's forums. Great info, and that kind of seals the deal on the DeLorme issue all together.

As for Hunting GPS Maps, I'd love to spend the coin on them, but as we say around the office, non-profit is a way of life, as well as a job. :D . Additive to my cheapness is my fondness for pouring over maps.

Looks like Dustin's Cadastral avenue is the way to go for the seriously cheap!

Sorry 'bout that. Moot point but here's what should have been there. Left is Topo 8, right is Topo 9.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 113
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 114
Topo 9 would work fine for viewing aerial photos and topos on your computer, but again, you would not be able to transfer that imagery to your Garmin unit. I use XMap more than Topo for the ability to use shape files.

Love that detail!! I just returned a PN60 + Spot and will reorder the PN60 and wait for the In Reach to come out. The more I looking into it, the PN60 seems like quite the device. Course WT in MT you've had me sold on it for awhile...

pointer- I'm going to use you for the guinea pig on the In Reach this time around.:D I don't have any hesitancy buying it, I'm just planning on waiting until the next unit comes out before upgrading from my 40. Then I'll get a new unit and the In Reach.

You are planning on getting XMap when you do get the 60, right? Call DeLorme after you buy it to see if they still offer the reduced price for PN owners. I'm sure you've seen me post it buy you'll need XMap to handle shape files and you can georeference any image and load it into your PN.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back