Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Deboning Whole Trout

WyoDoug

Putting this question out. Is there a good way to remove the pin bones yet leave the trout whole? I like leaving the head on smaller fish (under 16 inches or so) and leaving the skin on those that I fillet. I used to just gut them but got tired of eating trout and getting a mouth full of bones so I learned how to debone it by first removing the dorsal fin and then removing the backbone followed by the rib bones. Does someone have a link to the video that shows how to remove the pin bones yet leaving the trout whole for stuffing or cooking whole?

Tweezers after you butterfly it.
Saw that in a few videos. I also saw someone cut them out with a knife in a filet video but I do not want to do a filet just the butterfly debone method. Tweezers just might be the best way to do it. Thanks. I like to stuff smaller trout with onions, lemons and garlic and sometimes a small twig of cilantro and then lightly bread the outside with a mix of seasoned flour and bread crumbs after milk/egg bath so I like to keep them whole. I was hoping there was a good way to cut them out quickly without using tweezers but that DOES seem to be the best way after what I found tonight watching videos.

There are a few traits deboning tools out there.

I fillet them and then make a cut on either side if the pin bones and pull the little sliver of meat and bones out. Pulling the bones with tweezers or pliers usual results in torn fillets about 50%,of the time for me and it's way slower.

You need you a wunder boner. lol Look it up.
That sounds like something you would buy in one of those adult toy stores LOL But thanks, I will search on Amazon. I got where I can get the fins and the rib bones out and leave the fish whole except the hole where the dorsal fin was. But the pin bones are sometimes still detectable and not a great eating experience.

Every fishing shanty should have one... :LOL:
Serious side, I can find videos on it but no real link where you can buy one to try it. On Amazon it shows as unavailable not sure when it will become available. Checking other websites that used to sell it show as not available. Looks like one of them fancy tools that died out and maker went out of business.

ManI wish I could figure out how to debone the filets. We trout fish a lot here in WY and keep anfew occasionally. I would love to be able to bread and fry boneless trout filets.
Wunder boner? I used to have one back in the day... miss it. lol
Easy to get bones out from the ribs and backbone and removing the fins. It's the pin bones that are more challenging if you like cooking trout whole with tail and head on like I do. Sometimes the pin bones are barely detectable when cooked and only a few most of the time. Considering that, probably best to leave those in or remove them with tweezers. Hard to get a good angle on them unless you filet the trout which I am not fond of for stocker size or small 12" and under trout.

I do it all the time, have been for over 50 yrs.
That is the way I was taught to eat Trout. 💥
Good for you. Everyone has their way that works for them and that's cool. I was taught that way too but I got tired of removing bones out of every bite. Trout bones get brittle and soft when cooked. It's easier to remove them before cooking and a better eating experience especially if you like to stuff them with veggies and garlic, onlions, lemon etc like I do.

My ways evolve as I learn new things. One example is in my family we never quartered our critters out. We drug them to the nearest road and went and got a vehicle. One time, me my cousin, and two brothers took turns draging a 4 pt muley my cousin shot more than 2 miles up hill. Now I would be wearing a pack to start with and quarter it out and pack it to the road. Again, I evolved and was open to different ways of doing things.

BTW, works for crappie too but not for trout. Better ways to enjoy trout than bones in nearly every bite. Larger trout I just filet them and depending on size, I cut them into around 6 inch lengths.

Worth it to go to Amazon and read the reviews for the Wunder Boner.

Mrs45 says, (Repeat after me.. ), "You Boys!"

Back