Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Trash Fish Tuesday

R.K.

Had some fun this past weekend with fish that like canned corn even more than trout. They’re big, they’re plentiful, and they put up one heck of a fight.

IMG_1932.jpeg

I’m talking about carp!

70691949845__BD4E4741-F1F7-4640-BC5B-CFD01C91AD4C.jpeg

Lots of carp!

IMG_1936.jpeg

From a muddy river near you!

IMG_1937.jpeg

Shamelessly caught, harassed, and released with the finest can of cheap corn available at Walmart.

I decided to try my hand at something called a “hair rig” that’s all the rage across the pond. Far more effective than just running corn onto the hook- instead of the usual “tap and run” resulting in lost bait and missed fish, these fish would hook themselves in the lower lip. I’m a big fan now.

IMG_1933.jpeg

Now for a change of pace- A native fish made an appearance on the catfish rod with nightcrawlers, that I feel is undeserving of its “trash fish” status- the buffalo.

IMG_1938.jpeg

Buffalo, however, do not share the poor culinary qualities of their orange invasive lookalikes- so this one was brained, bled, and cleaned to reveal my preference for them. White meat that’s pretty similar to (or better than) good catfish when fried.

IMG_1953.jpeg

Except for the y-bones. The fish needs to be “fleeced” to remove the scales, filleted with the skin on, and then scored to produce chips. That’s right- buffalo chips. No, I didn’t have a say in naming them.

IMG_1954.jpeg

The skin holds the chips together, a coarse breading keeps the chips spread apart, and the hot oil softens the y-bones so they’re palatable (basically invisible). I’m a big fan, and you can do this with anything in the sucker family (especially redhorse).

Or on bigger fish, you can just cut off the rib section, remove the skin, and cut pieces with two ribs in them. The rib bones are large, and no smaller y-bones exist in the meat on top of the ribs. Fry and enjoy- eat them like ribs, chicken wings, corn dogs- whatever you like to compare it to. Just eat the damn things and be happy.

IMG_1952.jpeg

Some prominent outdoor personalities don’t know how to cook freshwater fish, and they deserve every last gag-inducing moment they got from their failed attempts at cooking these things. The only thing “trash” about these fish is the their cooking.

Carp are arguably my favorite freshwater fish to chase with a fly. Thanks for sharing your pics and the recipe ideas!

Carp are arguably my favorite freshwater fish to chase with a fly. Thanks for sharing your pics and the recipe ideas!
Definitely don’t do it with the carp- arguably not edible. The buffalo, however, are delicious. Don’t confuse the two, and you’ll have fish fries for a long time.

My kids used to catch the heck out of carp when we camped lakeside. Poles were set all day and once the bell rang the race was on! Never did get a Buffalo.

I agree that those orange ones are a lot of fun to catch. Always biting and they are powerful fighters. My daughter loved to catch "golden bass" and she would explain to her friends that we would not eat them unless we were very hungry. Never caught a buffalo, but if I do it will come home for dinner. I'll give it a try!

I used to run hoop nets with my dad on a local river. It was my job to clean the catfish and them start scoring the Buffalo. I've scored thousands of pounds of Buffalo filets.

I agree that those orange ones are a lot of fun to catch. Always biting and they are powerful fighters. My daughter loved to catch "golden bass" and she would explain to her friends that we would not eat them unless we were very hungry. Never caught a buffalo, but if I do it will come home for dinner. I'll give it a try!
I’ve caught only a handful like that- used to sight fish bigger ones at lake of the Ozarks, but mostly get them from gigging, nets, or bowfishing. It was a super light bite, pretty much like a small redhorse or hogsucker.

Back