MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Fat / Silver Skin / Connective Tissue

Bill T, Call it a Rib roll...

Okay! If I don’t hit the shoulder, I only loose a baseball sized chunk of the rib roll! Also, I grind most of the rib roll. On a larger animal I will extract some of the larger portions from all the layers. I have labeled them “flank steak”, but because they were not all actual flank steaks, I transitioned to labeling those packages “fajita meat”.

I’m not near as picky as I used to be. It seems that if the meat is cold or even some ice crystals in it, it will grind just fine. And like others have said I don’t notice any bad taste.
I have friend that gives me hog fat from some European pigs he raises that are known for thier fat and that does change the taste. We eat it all, with fat and without.

Someone else said it, but again, that stuff you're trimming off is collagen. And other beneficial things that we should be eating. I used to trim everything really good too. But not anymore. Saves a ton of time and my hamburger is just as good, if not better, than before. I don't throw out any of the fat either. I was curious this year about the theory I'd always heard that wild game fat doesn't taste good. So as I was butchering up a deer, I took a few chunks of fat and fried it up in a pan. Tasted similar to beef fat. It was excellent.
I started leaving some fat on the outer round steaks. I had one tonight, and I like them.

Elk ribs too, but you have to eat those hot or it’s like eating a candle.

Okay! If I don’t hit the shoulder, I only loose a baseball sized chunk of the rib roll! Also, I grind most of the rib roll. On a larger animal I will extract some of the larger portions from all the layers. I have labeled them “flank steak”, but because they were not all actual flank steaks, I transitioned to labeling those packages “fajita meat”.
I'll tell you this much after trying @brockel never bone put a shoulder again recipe I will never shoulder shoot a deer again if avoidable. Also I love heart, the neck shot looks better every time I do it. Bring in the haters.

I'll tell you this much after trying @brockel never bone put a shoulder again recipe I will never shoulder shoot a deer again if avoidable. Also I love heart, the neck shot looks better every time I do it. Bring in the haters.
I’m going to keep boning them out because flat irons may be my favorite cut.

Trim off at home/while butchering, keeps meat cleaner in aging and transport. Large roasts I’ll trim all fat but leave silverskin on until thawed as it protects against freezerburn. I NEVER pre-cut steaks, or even cube, always frozen as a chunk. Have had too much loss on beatiful wrapped cuts over the years. Now I have nearly no loss. If its too small to freeze, either eat fresh or it goes to burger.

Trim off at home/while butchering, keeps meat cleaner in aging and transport. Large roasts I’ll trim all fat but leave silverskin on until thawed as it protects against freezerburn. I NEVER pre-cut steaks, or even cube, always frozen as a chunk. Have had too much loss on beatiful wrapped cuts over the years. Now I have nearly no loss. If its too small to freeze, either eat fresh or it goes to burger.
Loss from what?

After my last round of smoked then slow cooked shanks for meat in tacos and burritos I was again reminded that I think we just like hamburgers more.

And hamburger meat still makes a damn fine taco or green chile meat and bean burrito.

When in doubt grind it out!

I leave a fair amount of silver skin on

I leave a lot of silver skin in my burger. If I pack it out then I consume as much as possible. The whole muscle packages of steak and roast get trimmed right before cooking. Try to get all the fat out of the burger and don't add any beef fat to my burger. The shanks get cut into 2-3" pieces for Oso Buco or some other type of slow cooking. Need to have a hammer handy next year for the sharp edges of bone, hell on the hands when wrapping:( No blood shot meat gets into anything except the scrap bucket for the birds. Definitely wear glasses now that my close-up vision sucks, makes it easier to pick out all the errant hairs. No way would I ever take anything to a butcher shop, been in too many over the years and watched them cut up the dirty, hairy, dried-up carcasses that are hanging in their cooler.

Attachments

• IMG_3376.JPG
    IMG_3376.JPG
    411.7 KB · Views: 3
I've actually gotten less picky over the years with trimming. Saves time and I haven't noticed any difference in end product quality.
This is where I am too. I don’t think it makes much of a difference when grinding for burger or sausage. With steaks and jerky I trim it pretty clean.

I did mess up a whole deer shoulder last week, cooked low and slow all day and was tuff as leather on the outside and the meat looked gray. I didn’t trim the silver skin off as I did the previous one that turned out perfect.

I got my grinding done last night. This year, I froze my grinding cuts from several animals then later thawed in a cooler and ran it all through the grinder consecutively. By splitting up the work, I think I did a more through job with my trimming. Also only had to clean the grinder once.

20230117_181011.jpg

I got my grinding done last night. This year, I froze my grinding cuts from several animals then later thawed in a cooler and ran it all through the grinder consecutively. By splitting up the work, I think I did a more through job with my trimming. Also only had to clean the grinder once.

View attachment 261273

That's exactly what I did. A week before Christmas, we grinded up 6 deer all at once, as well as 30 pounds of pork fat from a local back yard raised pig, and 30 pounds of beef brisket.

Reactions: LCH
For my personal meat if i am going to eat the whole muscle steaks or roasts i trim all fat and silver skin off. If it is for grind i take all the fat off and the bigger chunks of silver skin on some of the cuts. I do not see a difference personally when making my sausage having some of the silver skin ground in. My stepdad will take most of a day and try to trim all the silver skin off. I do not have that much time to waste when i do not see any differences for making sausage.

We process deer for people in the fall, i trim all the fat off and the silver skin off the steaks and roasts so they are ready to eat for the customer. I also take the bigger chunks of silver skin off for them as well. I've never had a complaint yet and most people say it's the cleanest meat they have ever gotten back. I did have one guy this fall ask if i would take every bit of silver skin off for him. I told him no it would simply take me too much time to do and not worth it to me when i have several more deer to do.

Reactions: LCH
I found the Technical Term.....

"Rose Meat"

https://www.americanbeefclub.com/files/8714/6100/2104/RoseMeat-English-Version.pdf

Rose meat refers to the easily accessible cutaneous trunci muscle that lies on the outsideof the carcass and spans from the chuck to the flank. The meat has a lighter red color than most of the interior muscles of the carcass. It is usually pulled in the fabrication area while the carcass is still hanging and before primal splitting. Commonly, it is removed from the hindquarter after the forequarter has been separated from the carcass. Domestically, rose meat is mostly used as trim for ground beef production.
https://www.facebook.com/reel/3202720369990699/?s=ifu

now you can sleep easy.....

Back