MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Covid-19 - Social Media sharing your 2020 hunts?

• Thread starter Deleted member 28227
  • Start date

Is it a good idea to share a 2020 hunt on social media or is it encouraging "bad" behavior?

• Yes

Votes: 24 53.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • It's ok if it's on private land

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • It's ok if it's local hunting/close to home

Votes: 14 31.1%

• Total voters
I enjoy the turkey hunting posts so far. I’m grateful that at least some people can get out there and hunt safely and legally. Please continue to post your spring hunts so I can vicariously enjoy your adventures. IA turkey opener in 11 days might as well be a year away. As of right now I can still hunt it, but a lot can change between now and then.

There are also people out there traveling and hunting/fishing (poaching?) in defiance of stay at home orders, quarantines, public land closures, etc. I don’t think it would be appropriate to post pictures of such activities.

Then there is the gray area of short-distance travel, and hunting/fishing which is not explicitly forbidden, but maybe falls under the category of obtaining food or responsible outdoor exercise/recreation. I think it’s reasonable for each of us to use our own judgment about such things. I may or may not post pictures - still undecided at this point.

I kind of agree that people will do dumb/illegal stuff anyway, although I dont think we should encourage it either. That being said, I've seen so many pictures on Instagram of people sharing pictures from previous years hunts, so I dont think posting ones from this year will change people's minds much.
I know some people in Washington that have snuck out to go hiking or set trail cameras, and I know they would have done that regardless if we are posting hiking pictures.
If people are that worried about it, maybe just post pictures after the stay at home orders are over.

IMO this topic is especially worth considering for those with public facing jobs.

EG, spouses in the health care industry. ;)

Also makes me wonder what the best path for various companies in the outdoor industry is in the near term.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Daughters school is now closed until May 1, and since they only have 3 hours of E learning a day on the chromebooks, I am thinking of taking them to Missouri for a week of turkey hunting. I can load a cooler with food/milk etc.. .and be there with gas to spare. No contact with anyone. 110 acres of hardwood ridges out the back door. We can only hunt the mornings so school work can be done in the afternoon. Don't have to leave the cabin for anything. Stop on the way home for gas.

Last edited:
What states are shutting down hunts?

One example from a Google run of state f&g sites.

Advisory announcement

For immediate release: April 1, 2020

(JUNEAU) — For the safety of Alaska’s communities, and especially individuals most vulnerable to the COVID-19 virus, Commissioner of the Alaska Department of Fish and Game Doug Vincent-Lang has directed the Division of Wildlife Conservation to close all black and brown bear hunts statewide for both resident and nonresident hunters, effective now through May 31. This decision will be reevaluated as necessary.

Edit added - a snip of the .PDF from Alaska State.

Screenshot_20200402-133531.png

Last edited:
What states are shutting down hunts?
Washington is shutting down everything to do with outdoor fishing and hunting, completely, even shell-fishing (Clams).
This really pisses me off, I never hang around the other asses anyway...But it is working for Washington, we are beating this COVID thing here.
Our Governor is doing the right thing. There will be plenty of time to go hunting and fishing as this terrible scourge passes.

I voted yes but...

I’m sitting here, getting ready to connect my trailer to my truck. 24 hours from now I will potentially be hunting snow geese. I would be lying if I said I’m not feeling a little guilty and selfish.

Probably won’t post any photos to social media as about half the group couldn’t make it and a couple got 86’ed to keep it to a small group. As of now the group is limited to just people who work for me and people living in my house so no additional exposure on that end.

yetis are loaded with enough food for 8 days, got a place to stay that has been vacant for weeks and payment was online, plan on hunting in unposted fields and fields we can call owners, won’t be knocking on any doors.. other than pumping gas we won’t be near another soul.. somewhere in a corn field... but it don’t feel right..

People in my Social media circle know I hunt. I actually set up a folder with a limited audience for those kill pictures. I share a lot of the scenery pictures with all my "friends" but they aren't public.

In today's SIP situation I would be hunting solo or with people in my household. My usual Turkey Partner and I have both shared our individual successes with each other.

Most folks will caption their hunting photos with "socially distancing ...." those who want to find a way to make it work will. Disappointments are inevitable, but misery is optional...

I've cancelled my out of province turkey hunting trip but I still intend on blasting snows and going bear hunting.

I'm actually limited to a 250 km (don't know how many Melons Per Hats that is though) bubble. Can't go outside of that and my bear hunting spot is 211 km from my door!!! :)

I say if it is legal and not breaking any directives from the powers that be, go for it.

I’m turkey hunting this weekend here in Louisiana. I’m going with my son.The only social media I have is Fakebook. Sometimes I post some of my hunting stuff on there and sometimes I don’t. I guess it is my upbringing, but I am not big on advertising where I am hunting and what I am seeing. Same with my fishing and trapping.

I voted Yes as 2020 still has quite a few pages left on the calendar past spring hunts. That said, if you can do your spring hunts within the bounds placed on travel/activity I say do so.

Reactions: LCH

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flight343
Back