Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Content Production - What and How to Present?

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
We have been working remotely for three weeks. We have video conferences twice a week to discuss content ideas and production. Some are short-term ideas and some are the long-term planning of our normal hunting content.

Before I seek comment, I preface it with a few sideboards we have placed on ourselves, as is responsible.

- We have halted any content that could give the wrong impression about social distancing, even if it is in compliance with SIP rules. We want to be part of the solution, not encouraging behavior that makes it worse.​
- In the short-term, there will be no new hunting content until the "coast is clear," according to the public health community. We are not even considering anything like that.​
- We want to balance the fact that this pandemic and the consequences it has to so many is the highest priority of the day. Yet, we want to give people some distraction to the things that are weighing so heavy on our minds at this time.​
- We worry that planning multi-state content this fall (if SIP restrictions are removed) could be perceived as thumbing our noses at those whose financial, employment, or other situation may not allow them to do what we are showing in our content.​
- Lastly, much like 9/11, there will come a time when it is healthy to start building a new "life as normal," whatever that normal will be. When and how to do that is something we want to do with concern and consideration.​

So, with those considerations and the sideboards we are think are in good taste/behavior, I am interested in thoughts of the Hunt Talk audience. Because we have to plan resources, tags, film permits, logistics, etc. six months in advance, is a reality for us to produce good stories we feel the audience finds compelling and hopefully a distraction that gives them relief from the pressures of their days. A lot will change from today, until the seasons happen, our long lead times require us to try predict the changes ahead and have via options based on the changes.

I don't want this thread to be an argument; there is no right or wrong. Give your thoughts and please don't argue with the ideas others suggest or perspectives they provide. This feedback could be very helpful to us as we try to tastefully produce content that fulfills our WHY and is compelling to the audience.

GO!

- We worry that planning multi-state content this fall (if SIP restrictions are removed) could be perceived as thumbing our noses at those whose financial, employment, or other situation may not allow them to do what we are showing in our content.

I think someone would have to be completely unfamiliar with you and the crew to interpret planning hunts as thumbing your nose at those hurt by the virus situation. You are one of the very few hunting content creators who cares about making their hunts accessible to the average hunter. We realize that this is your job and the livelihood of your crew.

The bloopers, Hunt Talk Radio, and all the hunt videos I saved to watch during the off-season are a welcome distraction from 24/7 virus coverage.

Would now be a good time to focus on hunts that are more local in nature? I mean, bird hunting, small game.

Maybe even a good time to plan on some hunts that are more about hunts geared toward putting meat in the freezer, cows, does, that kind of thing.

It seems most want to focus on the out of state hunts, the big ticket hunts, applying for glory tags, and all that.

Some of the hunts I do each year that are the most fun are cow elk.

First off, I've loved the blooper releases was Mike had me in stitches this morning. I think that in the short term this is the kind of content we desperately need. I also like the planning videos, helps one take their mind of the current situation.

I can 100% see you are walking a line. Past hunts that are in the can seem safe to me, 🤷‍♂️.

Hunts for this fall... what a pickle.

In the past you have said your sponsors really like western content which is why you have avoided certain hunts. Maybe it's a year to double down on that and focus on local stuff? Montana cow hunts does, other western species that don't get a lot of play? Ewe sheep or cow moose? Walleye episode?

Would love a 100% grouse episode, the Montana slam: Dusky, Sage, Ruffed, Sharpies, Spruce.

My gut says avoid anything you fly to do, anything that seems like a lot of travel. "Seems" being the operative word... WY, ID, CO, no problem I think people have those states bucketed together in their mind... AZ starts to look like flaunting stay at home requirements.

Maybe also avoid hunts were it seems like there are lots of people involved, eg guest shows. Maybe lots of Randy only episodes, and some Randy and Matthew ones?

Lots of celebrities... from all over the place are producing their own content at home, maybe try out some self filming quality won't be as good but I think it demonstrates some solidarity.

Was thinking an episode about how to deal with the stimulus etc on your 2020 and 2021 tax filings would be great, and then realized that audience might be kinda niche... like just me niche... so maybe not. :unsure:

I think you should continue to do what you guys do best, put out hunting content as much as possible (near-to-home? In-state only? Whatever is possible...), gear content, plan hunts, tell people how to plan hunts. That gives people something to hope for and dream about. Sure, take separate vehicles to the trailhead and stay 6 feet apart and all that, but show people that life is still possible and livable in the midst of all the garbage and drama we otherwise see on the news and internet all day.

I know you said they are unpopular, but more content like the, “ Dam that never was” would be great. I’m sure there are a wealth of stories to draw from. I know I want to hear them. They have a lore to them.

I think it would be great to do some grouse hunting episodes. Not ones where you get distracted while elk hunting, but ones where you were just focused on grouse hunting locally.

Bozeman is no secret, so it would be kind of cool to do Episodes within an hour of Bozeman while social distancing. Maybe more trapping too. A sort of “hunting your backyard” flavor. I think acknowledging the current state of affairs in your episodes would make sense too.

I don’t think it’s particularly controversial to say that for the next two or three months, interstate travel would be controversial if not misguided.

I’m not sure how the ideas I just wrote fit into an actual business and your sponsorship. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again though, one thing my family loves about your show is that it is a family show.

I liked the bloopers and spelling bee. I think you can have some light hearted fun with this social distancing thing. Like use a screen of someone instead of the actual person. I think your crew could definitely come up with some funny skits.

In terms of actual hunting content. You could try some repair/upgrades you can make/do at your house, i.e. glass bedding. Maybe more on the nitty gritty of public advocacy for conservation, war tales, where you can go both online or in print to find meetings. Who are the decision makers in each region. What are some of the landscape scale efforts or challenges that people may not be aware of.

Maybe a funny workout/training routine you can do at the house.

I definitely tend towards funny in this situation.

Honestly, I think a focus on meat hunts is totally justifiable. Even with the virus around, there are those of us who rely on game meat to make it through the year. I don't think its in bad taste by any means to fill your freezer during these tough times. I mean some places are running out of meat in the grocery stores, nows when we need to be out in the woods getting food.

Additionally, its so hard to tell what the future will hold. I planned hunts before all of the virus came up. I hope I can complete them, but I don't think many people would blame you for doing hunts when you have to plan them so far in advance with all of the draws.

The best estimates I have seen is April/May will be the peak, that means following a bell curve we should be fine by hunting season. But that's all an educated guess on everyones part.

Lastly, this may be a hard year for many people financially. I personally think being able to live through the fresh tracks team is a great idea if you can't get out yourself. You and your team are a beacon in this community and to have you shut down or greatly reduce your fall hunts because of the virus will be demoralizing for the rest of us if we can't get out ourselves.

Would now be a good time to focus on hunts that are more local in nature? I mean, bird hunting, small game.

Maybe even a good time to plan on some hunts that are more about hunts geared toward putting meat in the freezer, cows, does, that kind of thing.

It seems most want to focus on the out of state hunts, the big ticket hunts, applying for glory tags, and all that.

Some of the hunts I do each year that are the most fun are cow elk.

^ What he said.

Grand Slam squirrel hunting:

Red/Pine
Fox
Gray
Black (I believe this is technically a color morph of the gray and is the most challenging to find in huntable areas)

This is something anyone should be able to do as the cost is about as low as you can get. I don’t believe we’ve aged any teeth from squirrels, although we have from hares, would give it a shot for you though.

I would be interested in some game/meal preparation content.

Also perhaps some more scouting content- from what you look for on OnX/Google Earth, to boots on the ground, what you specifically look for for certain species during certain times of the year etc.

I’ve often thought it would be interesting to see some well-researched content to help sportsmen gain a better working knowledge around some of the sportsmen’s issues that seem so prevalent these days...prescriptive easements and Forest Service access, changing patterns of land ownership and management issues like harboring, alternative landscape conservation models (e.g. APR, etc), history or conservation status of specific species or herds (similar to the Rain Deer concept), alternative funding solutions for wildlife agencies. Not advocacy pieces necessarily, just general education about the topics.

But any conscientiously produced hunting content is very welcome too. Please.

For me, the multistate trips are aspirational instead of bragging. Something that shows it can be done, done well, and as the old show declared, On Your Own. Pretty decent physical distancing except for the occasional gas station and random grocery store.

One of the main reasons given in the past when a question was asked along the lines of, "why don't you do more __________ kind of shows?" had to do with the sponsors and/or network restrictions. You've solved the network problem (or is it just dumped one network for another......Prime, I'm looking at you!) and with recent fishing and cooking segments on youtube have shown little need to foist product placement into content.

Obviously with the increased staff both in the field and at the world wide headquarters of OYOA Inc there has to be content going out and earning clicks/views/ratings for the whole thing to continue to build and grow. I'm thankful that you are making some decisions to proceed with shows/topics just because it is the right and/or artistic thing to do. Regardless of commercial success, you have a mission statement and I am glad that you are mindful of it, and do your best to keep producing fun, impactful content.

One obvious project that should be in the pipeline already is focusing on how this is effecting your planning for this year and the next several years. I love it when you pull the curtain back a bit and show what a whiteboard looks like. How you fit all the moving pieces together......how you, Matthew, Uncle Larry, Marcus/Michael/Dan/new guy/Sasquatch, Beau, etc etc fit into the whole 2020-21 hunter/gatherer/cooking/fishing season unrolls.

This is pretty random but you've mentioned that your "How to Keep your Wife Happy" podcast (I'm sure I'm screwing up the title) has been hugely popular. One of the things I like about you is your practical side and your very analytic brain (I've never seen anyone else put so much effort/focus into purchasing a vehicle). With your CPA background maybe some general life planning - skills content, finance-centric may resonate well with your audience as I'm sure many are or will be struggling financial. I know this likely doesn't do much good with your sponsors but I'm guessing your advice would be well received. I'm a big Dave Ramsey fan but I'd certainly tune in to Randy's Financial advise...

Last edited:
It seems many will be sticking close to home this year. Maybe a series that focuses on resident hunters and "how to hunt (insert state) on an OTC tag as a resident" and how to expand your hunting opportunities to include small game, upland and waterfowl. You'd need a resident hunter for everywhere outside MT, but maybe it might make others aware of what is available to them at home. If many are cost and travel sensitive then it could be really informative. Then again, the cornerstone of the FT/OYOA model is how to hunt the west. Just spitballing here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back