Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Content Production - What and How to Present?

Maybe that Idaho OTC Elk hunt is moving higher up the list? Ditto the meat hunt idea. Even though we have enough meat, my freezer is lighter than I would like. Many will be more interested in acquiring, butchering, preserving, and preparing game meat, large and small, than have been before.

(diatribe about the quality of content from other producers deleted...) You are a guidepost for creating content which is careful about the image and ethics of hunting. It is often your quality, as much as the content quality, that brings us back. (not a sponsor....)

Last edited:
Here are a few ideas that may spark an even better idea (some of these are probably best suited for podcasts):

*So you have done a backpack dump before...is it still valid or have you changed and could do an update?
*How about a camping "bag dump" that focuses on different ways you camp. You have done the Arizona backcountry one, the backcountry one, and the winter camping one, but how about trailhead camping? How and where do you camp, what equipment and why? Most hunters are always looking to improve their camping and you spend a LOT of time camping.
*How-to videos on breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks while hunting. I don't recall ever seeing you eat while hunting. But everyone does.
*How about an interview with a wildlife biologist in an interesting area? Elk around Yellowstone Park, etc? What science do they use to set seasons, quotas, etc?
*Strategies for a "Stay-in-your-Community" type scenario if this fall comes and we cannot travel (oh, please, don't let this happen!)
*Something on the locavore movement and how hunting has taken part in that.
*Do you have any footage of the cameraman? That would be interesting to see what they have to go through.
*How about a podcast with a true millennial adult onset hunter? Or an accomplished DIY woman hunter (there are a few on this board that are extremely knowledgeable). Or a kid.
*Walleye fishing …. and as I understand it, there would be a new star to that show!
*Memory lane. Walk through your shed and tell the story of each of the racks on the wall. Maybe just a story telling episode where you rehash the interesting hunts you have had. Flash to the video but narrate what is going to happen and why. Narrate how you goofed up a stalk and why or how you adapted and overcame an obstacle.
*Something on wilderness first aid. Get a professional on to explain the important parts.
*Navigation in the mountains. Flash to videos and maps that show why your took the route you took vs another route and how you found your way (PS..Dear OnX-you owe me one if this makes the cut!).

I may be biased but a waterfowl hunt would be very enjoyable filmed by you guys!

I think now is the time to show others how to seek opportunities near by. Along with the ice fishing episodes, film trout stream, morel hunting and small game all in MT!
A big obstacle people face is hunting is a destination rather than a lifestyle!

Stay safe!

Would now be a good time to focus on hunts that are more local in nature? I mean, bird hunting, small game.

Maybe even a good time to plan on some hunts that are more about hunts geared toward putting meat in the freezer, cows, does, that kind of thing.

It seems most want to focus on the out of state hunts, the big ticket hunts, applying for glory tags, and all that.

Some of the hunts I do each year that are the most fun are cow elk.
I think you must have been typing for me.

This morning I watched a video of a recent fishing trip posted by a guy that has a very large, devoted YouTube following and noticed he was being shredded in the comments by people who could not believe he would go fishing during this time and putting the public and his family at risk. Many people put in the comments that they were long time subscribers who would be unsubscribing after seeing the video. If I was in the business, I sure would want to avoid that type of attention for many reasons much like you have stated.

In agreement with wllm1313, I would think any canned footage is fair game. I personally would enjoy seeing compiled videos showing how your hunting shows started, the older footage, the better. I would also enjoy seeing videos of perhaps 3-4 past hunts (and their footage) being summarized where you pick your favorite one and explain what made it better than the rest.

Also, anytime I am walking in the hills, whether its with hunting pals or my kids, someone is almost always slipping, hitting their heads on branches, falling or other funny stuff and I bet you have hours of that type of footage- I would watch those type of "blooper" videos all day. I might be a little off though- more often than not, I'd rather watch the blooper reel of some movies than the movie itself.

I’ve often thought it would be interesting to see some well-researched content to help sportsmen gain a better working knowledge around some of the sportsmen’s issues that seem so prevalent these days...prescriptive easements and Forest Service access, changing patterns of land ownership and management issues like harboring, alternative landscape conservation models (e.g. APR, etc), history or conservation status of specific species or herds (similar to the Rain Deer concept), alternative funding solutions for wildlife agencies. Not advocacy pieces necessarily, just general education about the topics.

But any conscientiously produced hunting content is very welcome too. Please.
Hell, it would be a good step in the right direction if the general hunting populace simply understood where jurisdictions are divided, the difference between a law and a regulation, and what agencies to talk to about their concerns.

These are really good comments so far. As mentioned, we have a WHY that directs our content and mission. And, with eight people getting bi-weekly paychecks and another handful of small independent contractors doing other work for us, the responsibility of their financial security falls to my ability to pull off our WHY within those financial constraint and my personal marital harmony.

Lots of good stuff to think about. Looking forward to more of it.

To this point, every sponsor positively responded to my email three weeks ago that until this passes we will go very low on any marketing or new product. The amounts from YouTube and Amazon don't even cover tags, trip costs, and film permits. So, the economic reality is that I have people depending on me to walk that fine line between doing what runs a business from which they depend on for a livelihood and not being insensitive to the situation at hand. I am thankful for the sponsors we have who completely understand this and want us to do what is right, hoping it shows who they are as companies.

I also have to balance all of this with what people will watch. We've been at it for twelve years. This will be our thirteenth season. I know what people like to do versus what they like to watch. We all like to fish. But, fishing is something people watch in far less quantities than hunting. We all love to hunt small game. We do rabbit hunts and quail hunts, yet they are only a fraction of the numbers of people who watch our least compelling elk hunts. Folks would rather wash their vehicle than to watch some content that they might enjoy immensely while doing it themselves. I'm a perfect example; you can't get me to watch a walleye fishing show (or any fishing show for that matter), but I get really excited about doing it myself. Just the nature of who we are and how we prefer to spend our time.

I would love to do more conservation content like Rain Deer, Dam That Never Was, etc. Those are where my heart lies. And I have a whiteboard full of similar stories I want to tell. But, Dam That Never Was took two years of work and about $80K, without a single dollar of sponsorship to help fund it. Rain Deer was about $60K and fortunately was covered by sponsors, but the results of views were lower than a run of the mill elk we might air. That is hard to convince sponsors to fund; just the reality of how they have to allocate their marketing dollars. And as much as I don't take any money from the operation, I cannot personally fund many more Yellowstone River stories from my own pocket, as much as I want to and as much of a financial leash Mrs. Fin gives me.

We are doing some smaller conservation pieces that are not as expensive or as time consuming. You saw it with the recent WMA piece. Marcus and I did the filming for a video about how access is created, just before I sent everyone home to work under the SIP rules. Those will be low cost and hopefully interesting. Yet, if one measures the results by views and engagement, people like to talk about conservation and a handful of people are super engaged in such. Yet, no matter how well it is produced, conservation does not engage the audience to a degree that elk hunts do.

I guess sorting all of this out is my challenge. I am thankful to have the Hunt Talk audience here as a sounding board.

Last edited:
1. The video with Marcus and the guys ice fishing was a good one.
2. Marcus seems to have an eye for videos and photos of interesting and unusual natural views, whether they are wildlife, scenery, or merely unique features found outdoors. Perhaps a more creative production as such would appeal.
3. The scenes and dialogues with the characters and kin of Big Fin are always entertaining. Sometimes the hunt itself is merely an aside. Introduce and re-introduce some of those interesting and humorous characters, please.
4. Realizing that the "boss" seems to want to stay off camera, yet the few family views of the Big Fin family (fishing from her boat and such) have been received as good healthy family outdoor fun and tie the audience even more closely to Big Fin.
5. The planning, travel, camp set-up and other logistics involved in enjoying a fun hunt are always entertaining, as well as instructional. (ditch-jumping vehicles with trailers attached can show what to avoid, as well)

Second @BuzzH said. Now would be a great time into bring in some local meat hunts and small game hunts. This would be a good bridge between your target audience on hunters connect and your normal hunting videos IMO. You’re already on the right track with all the cooking and after the hunt video footage.

I don’t watch your content because I’m an elk hunter, or a plan on chasing coues in Arizona, or have a deep desire to play the point and tag game for western hunts. I watch it because it’s good people out in the field producing quality hunting footage.

Saw your above comment after my post. Hate to see that you don’t get as big of an audience with the less glamorous videos. At least you have the benefit of your staff having general tags for MT. Maybe you can expend on that and their hunting trips to produce videos that will get more views.

Last edited:
Have Marcus go on a hikes and self film. Send him to some alpine lakes to catch a few fish when the ice goes out. Trek into some waterfalls that most of us will never see in person. We definitely need some more paddle fishing. Send a couple of crew down the 100 miles of the Yellowstone with those rafts you just featured. Get a Howa M1100 22lr Rimrifle and have a shooting competition like the boys did with their bows, I bet Dale wins. Finally just be yourself and film a interview with you on your thoughts in this thread. Talk about what your’s and sponsors business challenges during this. Come up with a promotion deal that helps support them.

I was thinking about you and the crew today, hoping you would be able to weather the storm. Thinking I need to order some swag.

First off, I've loved the blooper releases was Mike had me in stitches this morning. I think that in the short term this is the kind of content we desperately need. I also like the planning videos, helps one take their mind of the current situation.

I can 100% see you are walking a line. Past hunts that are in the can seem safe to me, 🤷‍♂️.

Hunts for this fall... what a pickle.

In the past you have said your sponsors really like western content which is why you have avoided certain hunts. Maybe it's a year to double down on that and focus on local stuff? Montana cow hunts does, other western species that don't get a lot of play? Ewe sheep or cow moose? Walleye episode?

Would love a 100% grouse episode, the Montana slam: Dusky, Sage, Ruffed, Sharpies, Spruce.

My gut says avoid anything you fly to do, anything that seems like a lot of travel. "Seems" being the operative word... WY, ID, CO, no problem I think people have those states bucketed together in their mind... AZ starts to look like flaunting stay at home requirements.

Maybe also avoid hunts were it seems like there are lots of people involved, eg guest shows. Maybe lots of Randy only episodes, and some Randy and Matthew ones?

Lots of celebrities... from all over the place are producing their own content at home, maybe try out some self filming quality won't be as good but I think it demonstrates some solidarity.

Was thinking an episode about how to deal with the stimulus etc on your 2020 and 2021 tax filings would be great, and then realized that audience might be kinda niche... like just me niche... so maybe not. :unsure:
Bloopers. lord knows if you've ever hunted with me there 2 years worth in 1 season.

Would it be possible to do a how to draw by state episode for the disabled and veterans?

I am 80% disabled and I have done a ton of research to see what works for me, but it is often buried in regulations. The disabled veterans I know that are new to, or haven't hunted since being a kid often need some assistance in where to start. I push a lot of those guys and gals to your youtube channel.

In lieu of out of state;

The Randy Newberg version of Rachael Ray for:
Processing game meat.
Cooking game meals.

Bloopers. Bill Dance bloopers are incredibly memorable. I'm sure over 12 seasons you have a collection.

In State hunts cow elk (following Buzz's thoughts).

In State Spring bear hunt.

Trapping your muskrats pt II. That was an enjoyable watch.

My take on this is that you are running a business, and the faster everyone gets back to business, the faster the economy will recover. What will happen to Dairy Queen and donut stores if you guys aren’t traveling around? There’s a trickle down effect in every business transaction, and the sooner we all get back to that, the faster the tide of good fortune will roll back in. It’s an unfortunate reality that it will take longer for things to trickle down to some than others, but for those able to “get back to it”, they should. That’ll speed up the process for everyone else to get back to it as well.

That being said, I wouldn’t suggest any new hunting trip footage until the clinical crisis is behind us. I’m hopeful that will happen before fall hunting season. Your videos are aspirational for many of us, and would give people something to dream about for the future. I think everyone could use some of that.

I might be late to the party but everyone needs a "Plan B" when Murphy throws a wrench in your hunting plans.

We all need a plan B when :
Wild fire in your unit
Don't draw any tags you applied for
Job loss or change
family emergency
injury or Health epiosode

We all have experienced those, and look to folks like you to inspire us to make the best of those situations.
Talk about the fall back/contingency plans to inspire us to have a similar strategy. Just like your application videos you don't have to tell us specific choices but how you narrowed down those choices.

I hope we don't have Fall Seasons cancelled due to this virus, otherwise it looks like ESPN Classics...

I also have to balance all of this with what people will watch. We've been at it for twelve years. This will be our thirteenth season. I know what people like to do versus what they like to watch. We all like to fish. But, fishing is something people watch in far less quantities than hunting. We all love to hunt small game. We do rabbit hunts and quail hunts, yet they are only a fraction of the numbers of people who watch our least compelling elk hunts. Folks would rather wash their vehicle than to watch some content that they might enjoy immensely while doing it themselves. I'm a perfect example; you can't get me to watch a walleye fishing show (or any fishing show for that matter), but I get really excited about doing it myself. Just the nature of who we are and how we prefer to spend our time.

Just guessing but I bet you get the most traction on "how to" vids and then elk? Therefore probably the videos to focus on 🤷‍♂️

On a slightly different note I find hunts with a strong story to be the most compelling... the one's you don't get something/face a bunch of adversity. If I'm being honest my all time favorite hunting episode is Meateater: Desert Solitaire, the conversation about his relationship with his dad draws me in... something about wishing you could share an experience with someone you love. I don't even think Rinella is very eloquent in that episode, just super real.
^ not an episode you can mass produce... but maybe their are some stories that you want to tell.

Personally I'm not really interested in you catching Walleye as much as your wife and you moving to MT, fishing being something you do together that kinda thing. Would Kim be willing to film you fishing, especially if she's given free reign to comment on how you're doing it wrong lol.

Along those lines loved the elk series with Marcus and Kara.

.... If it comes to it, socially distanced elk season. Every employee films their hunt and you turn out 8 elk hunting episodes based on everyone's solo season?

Last edited by a moderator:
Like others have said, Focusing on how to sniff out local opportunities for hunting and maybe even foraging—ways to get food in a fun and exciting way close to home—seems like it would get some viewership this year. Stories about elk, local deer, local mushrooms and berries and wild asparagus, and the ways to go about finding those opportunities sure seem like they’d be popular this year.

As a side note, I was just outside planting my new front-yard veggie beds with my daughter, and a neighbor came by to chat—at a distance. She’s a landscape designer and wanted to offer up assistance if I had any questions about growing vegetables. As the conversation went on, and we had asked each other if the other needed anything, I told her I am a hunter, and had killed a cow elk this past season. I offered her some, and she gratefully accepted. She went on to tell me that all of the recent Covid madness and grocery store shortages have made her and her husband consider getting into hunting as a way to provide food for themselves. They’d never considered it before now. She had lots of questions, and I imagine there are lots of other people out there just like her.

How to grow a garden, I've got a feeling that's going to be a big one this year. Also, how to make your own toilet paper. :)

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back