Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Content Production - What and How to Present?

Maybe it's not the most helpful because I don't have much to add in the new content department. I am definitely a vote for continue to plan and educate as you normally would as long as its compliance with regulations at the time it is happening. Nobody has crystal ball and we cannot predict where this will be in 5-8 months. It would be shame to see a season lost. Hell after I just watch the bear scouting video I have been a google earth pro addict planning my spring bear trip. Maybe its foolish to think I might be able to go, but it gives me something to do while trapped going from work to home. I do know whether I can go or not it wont diminish the enjoyment I have reading about the guys that can and how their hunts went. We all need the things that can be normal to still be normal. I think DSnow9 said it best when he quoted you. "Hunt while you can. Your gonna run out of health before you run out if money." And I would like to be following along on video as you do.

We have been working remotely for three weeks. We have video conferences twice a week to discuss content ideas and production. Some are short-term ideas and some are the long-term planning of our normal hunting content.

Before I seek comment, I preface it with a few sideboards we have placed on ourselves, as is responsible.

- We have halted any content that could give the wrong impression about social distancing, even if it is in compliance with SIP rules. We want to be part of the solution, not encouraging behavior that makes it worse.​
- In the short-term, there will be no new hunting content until the "coast is clear," according to the public health community. We are not even considering anything like that.​
- We want to balance the fact that this pandemic and the consequences it has to so many is the highest priority of the day. Yet, we want to give people some distraction to the things that are weighing so heavy on our minds at this time.​
- We worry that planning multi-state content this fall (if SIP restrictions are removed) could be perceived as thumbing our noses at those whose financial, employment, or other situation may not allow them to do what we are showing in our content.​
- Lastly, much like 9/11, there will come a time when it is healthy to start building a new "life as normal," whatever that normal will be. When and how to do that is something we want to do with concern and consideration.​

So, with those considerations and the sideboards we are think are in good taste/behavior, I am interested in thoughts of the Hunt Talk audience. Because we have to plan resources, tags, film permits, logistics, etc. six months in advance, is a reality for us to produce good stories we feel the audience finds compelling and hopefully a distraction that gives them relief from the pressures of their days. A lot will change from today, until the seasons happen, our long lead times require us to try predict the changes ahead and have via options based on the changes.

I don't want this thread to be an argument; there is no right or wrong. Give your thoughts and please don't argue with the ideas others suggest or perspectives they provide. This feedback could be very helpful to us as we try to tastefully produce content that fulfills our WHY and is compelling to the audience.

GO!
You bring up your shop in your episodes, with all of its maps and such on the floor.
I think people would be interested in seeing how you e-scout, using OnX, paper maps, Google earth and other online resources.
Prep is necessary for success, you have something to offer folks on prep.

Small, local, focused self-filmed hunts. Governor bullock deemed outdoor recreation a necessity, be safe, go alone in country where risk to self is minimal (to make sure you do not need to be rescued in a time when systems are strained).
I live in SW Montana, and have been shed hunting regularly by myself, keeping safe and healthy.

Personally, I like the short daily films, ice fishing, muskrat trapping. A shed hunt? How about how you go about selecting/ partnering with sponsors? Your video the other day at Yellowstone Meat & Alpacka rafts were very informative.

How about a video on cwd? Your views on it, how it’s being spread, whTs being done, what can be done, how can we
As hunters help?

Go turkey hunt. Take separate vehicles and if you hunt like I do with my buds, I am 30 yards behind them doing the calling kind of like elk hunting. Make a point to show you all stayed apart. Very possible.

New here but i've enjoyed your content for some time. How about having a short series similar to your elk talk live but not live, you call call it "quarantined from elktalk". Compile a list of questions and pick maybe 2-5 a day and make a short video answering the questions with props(backpack,gun,cameras ect). You could divvy up the questions with the crew to get different perspectives. With everything going on right now its nice to zone out for a little every day to watch your videos, and hope everything will be somewhat normal when hunting season comes around.

Ideas that I liked in addition to your normal content....

First aid
Small Game cover field to table
Birds
Squirrel
Rabbit
Fishing off a bank.... maybe fly fishing
Honing the cooking of your game
Meat preservation techniques

I'd like to also see you ring out one or more of your rifles at the range. How consistent is your rig and troubleshoot issues when there are accuracy issues. 10 shot groups?

Hey Randy,
Here's some more off the wall ideas.
How about from now through early summer you challenge anyone who can to donate $1 to a Hunt talk first responder's fund. Could raise money to help out and shine a good light on hunters. Might be able to get some of your sponsors in. Maybe put some conservation videos out.
Then this fall plan on taking a couple of first responders on an elk hunt.

I might pay per view if you put some of those HT'ers who snipe each other on screen together. They'll make up or it'll be a Minnesota drunk logger brawl. WIn-win

About 10 minutes after I wrote this I triggered like a millennial snowflake. Mamma threw the hangry flag and told me to get off the computer. Apologies to @JLS and @2rocky

About 10 minutes after I wrote this I triggered like a millennial snowflake. Mamma threw the hangry flag and told me to get off the computer. Apologies to @JLS and @2rocky
No worries man, although I usually reserve Midol comments for particularly moody and snarky teenage daughters. ;)

Columbian blacktails and fall black bears (any state) would be cool and add some diversity. They are also either OTC or easy to draw tags, so if you can't make the hunt due to stuff closing down again you wouldn't have as much invested at least in points. The California, Oregon and Washington deadlines are in late May and early June, so you could sit on it and have a better idea of how things will be in the fall. Of all of the western species, the amount of fall bear and Columbian blacktail content relative to their accessibility seems to be the most out of wack. Maybe this is the year to try some of it. If people watch mini-whitetail in Arizona or bears eating grass in the spring, I don't see why they wouldn't also watch mini-mule deer from the West Coast or bears gorging on chokecherries and acorns in the fall.

I have made my suggestion. My next suggestion is follow your heart. Talk to your wife, your son, and your crew. You have more clue in what you are doing than any of us.

Just keep something coming to us. I would not cancel fall hunt shows. Life must go on.

Much respect and I am fully satisfied with whatever decision you make. We really do need you.

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back