Conspiracy against gun hunters in America?

TomTeriffic

I believe this whole anti-modern-deer-gun movement is to deter hunting altogether. Gun hunters seem discriminated against.

When things get complicated and messy, it puts many guys off and they give up. Many guys gave up ducks and geese when steel shot was once forced.

Why in the devil should archers and muzzle-loaders have longer seasons with more favorable (warmer) weather? Is it fair? The modern gunners, muzzle-loaders and archers should have at least the same number of days in warmer weather as they do in colder weather. Also, gun hunters should have equal opportunity for does during more favorable (warmer) weather.

If Iowa would at least allow modern guns at least as early as mid November as many other states do, I wouldn't be so unhappy. Instead, Hawkeye state modern gunners have to wait until after the first of December to utilize devices burning smokeless powder, fixed ammunition and repeating actions. They must slug out the nasty snows.

I once hunted in California mid-October with a modern rifle in the 1990's. back then modern guns could come out as early as October. There seems to have been a progressive movement to push modern gunners (firearms hunters) into the colder later months. What is the POLITICS behind this all?

Just to clarify:

Are you suggesting that firearm seasons are dictated by a conspiracy against gun owners (presumably by the government?) rather than game agencies making decisions based on data for the conservation of the species?

It’s Bush’s fault. When Cheney shot that guy in the face hunting warm weather quail in Texas, the Iowa DNR retaliated by pushing modern deer gun seasons later to force seasoned hunters to slog through snow.

Fact. It’s on the internet so now it’s true.

I once hunted in California mid-October with a modern rifle in the 1990's. back then modern guns could come out as early as October. There seems to have been a progressive movement to push modern gunners (firearms hunters) into the colder later months. What is the POLITICS behind this all?

Many zones open on the third Saturday of September for modern rifle in California. Downright tropical some years.

If you want to get away from all that progressive BS in Iowa perhaps you should move to the Golden State.

Many zones open on the third Saturday of September for modern rifle in California. Downright tropical some years.

If you want to get away from all that progressive BS in Iowa perhaps you should move to the Golden State.
As a self elected spokesperson for all California hunters we deny this proposition.

I believe this whole anti-modern-deer-gun movement is to deter hunting altogether. Gun hunters seem discriminated against.

When things get complicated and messy, it puts many guys off and they give up. Many guys gave up ducks and geese when steel shot was once forced.

Why in the devil should archers and muzzle-loaders have longer seasons with more favorable (warmer) weather? Is it fair? The modern gunners, muzzle-loaders and archers should have at least the same number of days in warmer weather as they do in colder weather. Also, gun hunters should have equal opportunity for does during more favorable (warmer) weather.

If Iowa would at least allow modern guns at least as early as mid November as many other states do, I wouldn't be so unhappy. Instead, Hawkeye state modern gunners have to wait until after the first of December to utilize devices burning smokeless powder, fixed ammunition and repeating actions. They must slug out the nasty snows.

I dare someone to copy and paste this on bowsite.

Just to clarify:

Are you suggesting that firearm seasons are dictated by a conspiracy against gun owners (presumably by the government?) rather than game agencies making decisions based on data for the conservation of the species?
No, I really don't understand the conservation logic of making poor gun hunters tough it out in the nasty cold months. Why does flinging arrows from a bow and maxi balls from a smokepole during September, October and November make more wildlife management sense then flinging out even those "safe low-velocity" .350 Legend bullets during those months? Why does Iowa make even super-low-range shotguns a no-no, in most cases, for those earlier months? What is at stake, management-wise, with deer-killing-equipment types vs calendar months?

For much of the 20th century, the modern rifle and perhaps sometimes the modern shotgun was the mainstay of American deer hunting.

A modern repeating gun can kill a deer much more decisively than bow or smokepole. Much less chance of wounding and lost game. Modern rifles and slug guns kill animals kindly. Humanely. Efficiently. With even fast follow-up shots if needed. Limited gun seasons in late nasty cold months are a huge disincentive to many a deer hunter. Deer populations are controlled by tags anyway.

A modern rifle with perhaps a scope on top is just much more easier for me to aim and operate effectively than a bow or smokepole. A rifle is what I've known all my life. I was an Army soldier and scored Expert at BRM qual. America is a Nation of Riflemen.

Last edited:

Also, gun hunters should have equal opportunity for does during more favorable (warmer) weather.

Tom I’m not sure (most all the time) what you’re trying to say here? Seriously I’m not throwing stones here but you typically ask a question, then answer it yourself using “examples” that are pretty off the wall?

For example, I hunted for YEARS with relatives in Cali and they’d be DELIGHTED to hunt in the late season or in literally ANY season that coincided with a chance of some cooler weather. Yeah you might be “forced” to hunt in colder climes if you draw an X tag for example (twist my arm and let me go…please) but more often than not you’re in triple degree Cali temps hunting as early as July and August in OTC A and B zones. Sorry if I’ve derailed but…
Just what are you asking here?

Around here, rifle hunters complain because they don't get to hunt in November and December when the deer are in rut and the snow on the ground makes it easier to hunt.

Bow hunters complain that they have to hunt in September when the temps are in the 90s to 100 and it is dry as the Sahara.

Hunters be complainers.

Around here, rifle hunters complain because they don't get to hunt in November and December when the deer are in rut and the snow on the ground makes it easier to hunt.

Bow hunters complain that they have to hunt in September when the temps are in the 90s to 100 and it is dry as the Sahara.

Hunters be complainers.

I thought the river of tears was going to wash away the house in Idaho when they shortened the season there. Rifle hunting until November 20th isn't good enough. "The rut doesn't even heat up until Thanksgiving!"

I still had opportunities at bucks, but I wasn't tooling a quad around behind a gate...

I thought the river of tears was going to wash away the house in Idaho when they shortened the season there. Rifle hunting until November 20th isn't good enough. "The rut doesn't even heat up until Thanksgiving!"

I still had opportunities at bucks, but I wasn't tooling a quad around behind a gate...
“But if I can’t hunt after Nov 20 how am I supposed to kill a big buck?” -pretty much every Idaho whitetail hunter that kills a “big” 2 year old 75 inch 4 point every year

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back