PEAX Equipment

Compact/Youth lightweight gun and recoil... question.

Horn Seeker

I have not shot any really lightweight guns, in bigger centerfire calibers, excepting a few lever actions.

Looking at getting a kid a compact rifle and am wondering, in a 6.5-7.5 pound total weight rifle, anyone have opinions and experience with recoil comparing something like 308 vs 7-HT vs 6.5 Hip.

I'm completely satisfied with any and all as far as effectiveness on game, just curious if the 65 is much tamer than 7 or 308 in recoil? Is 7 much less than 308?

Thanks!!

recoil will be dependent on rifle weight, powder charge and bullet weight rather than calibre. All three listed could be the same or vastly different i.e 6.5 with 120gr mod charge vs 308 180gr hunting load. I got my son a youth model marlin in 7-08 when he was 11, shoots 140gr accubonds recoil isn't bad at all.

Going from chuck hawks recoil table

6.5's (260, 6.5 CM, 6.5x55) are going to have 10-13 ft-lbs of recoil
7mm-08 is 12.5-13 ft-lbs recoil
308 165 grain is 18.1 ft lbs-recoil

I guess bottom line is, the 6.5 CM has the potential to kick least...

I don't think there is a notable difference between 6.5 CM and 7mm-08 as they both have similar case capacity, powder type and bullet weight (120-140 gr). 7mm-08 has the advantages of more rifles in that caliber, more commercial ammo and more common reloading components.

My theory on youth guns and calibers is different than some. I like reduced recoil loads with larger calibers such as a 7-08 instead of a .243. The reason is two fold. One I can get a larger hole through an animal that is possibly not going to be shot perfectly. Thats not my intention just planning for the worst case scenario. The other reason is if the two shoot similar, I can switch to full strength rounds in hunting situations.

As far as guns, I prefer full sized guns with a youth stock bought separately so the rifle can be used once the kid has outgrown it. Thats another reason to use a larger caliber.

So for me, I would go with the 7-08 or 308 because I can buy good reduced loads. I don't think there are any loades for the 6.5s. If you reload, anything would work.

Just my opinion, I don't like remington reduced recoil because the corelokt bullets are going too slow to expand properly. It almost cost my son his first deer. He took both front shoulders and it looked like he had been shot by a round ball from a muzzleloader.

IME muzzle blast effects kids more than the physical recoil. So, my suggestion is to not go with too short of a barrel. Handloading can allow one to get less blast without giving up too much in performance. Of those you listed, I'd go with the 6.5 Creedmor. Smallest case and has the lightest hunting appropriate bullets. I bet it could spit out a 100gr Partition plenty fast enough without much recoil...

I opted for the 22" Ruger American for my boys vs. the 18" of the Compact for that reason. I'll probably track down a Compact stock so the 6yo can use it.

Reduced recoil loads for practice in any of those calibers in a youth package would be a great idea. Reduced loads help them get used to recoil, the rifle,and help them build confidence. Using the right powder you can make a drastically reduced load. Slip them the real thing while hunting and they probably won't know the difference. Ease them up to more powerful loads gradually as they grow and practice. Shooting with recoil is a skill that must be learned and practiced.

I have two daughters that both hunt with me. The older one,19, stole my Remington model 7 youth in 7mm-08 when she was about 13. I've loaded up some great loads with a 120 grain Nosler BT. They are reduced but still do a good enough job to drop an Antelope at 300 yards.

I bought the younger daughter the identical rifle in .243. I would have preferred another 7mm-08, but the .243 was too good of a deal to pass up. She will put 90 grain Accubonds into a ragged little hole so she has no desire to let it go.

I think you'd be hard pressed to beat the 7mm-08 in versatility and as they grow you can up the game with full house loads. I'm not knocking the 6.5, as it's a great cartridge, I just happen to have more experience with the 7mm-08. I liked it so much I even bought myself another one and told my daughter to stay away:)

I'd be looking at SA 6/6.5/7 mm's personally, in that order.

Thanks all.
With the big jump in recoil energy between 308 and 7, I think I'll probably lean toward the 6.5 or 7. Just to be safe, especially since they'll both kill with authority.

Just second guessing myself with this boy who is recoil sensitive... he's doing fine with my daughters 243 but is fairly scared of his moms 308.

Would like to take the step up from 243 though.

There isn't anything wrong with going to a .243 if that's all he can deal with for now. When he gets bigger there will always be someone in the market for their son or daughter. If you reload, those reduced loads are easy to come up with. If not the 7mm-08 and .308 already have factory reduced loads. Since your wife already has a .308, maybe pick up a box of reduced loads for it and have him try it out. I'll bet someone in your area would have some guns they'd be willing to meet up and let you try out.

As a rule of thumb, factory reduced loads are trying to mimic 243 felt recoil and energy values. As stated before I'd try the 308 reduced loads and see how it goes. Its not advertised as such, but I don't think they are quite as loud either. I have seen several deer drop in their tracks or close with 308 reduced recoil loads. My buddies girlfriend uses them exclusively to hunt with.

Last edited:
My girls have been shooting a Remington 700 youth with 20" barrel in 7-08 and full loads from as young as 10 without a problem.

I just compared my .260 to my .308 a couple days ago. The .308 was quite noticeably more recoil. Neither was offensive, but there is a definite difference.

Back