PEAX Equipment

An AR- Question

Munchiezzz

So since my last post about picking out a good hunting rifle with minimal recoil and deciding on the 6.5 Creedmoor [more on that later b the way], i have dove into a rabbit hole to china. Heck, i might be in another universe or subverse hahaha. i ran into ''building a AR-15''. of course i was curious and fascinated so i dug deeper, but it struck me that its probably to much recoil for me anyways. as i almost hung my head in dismay i found the golden goose.....the have an AR-10. i dont know much about AR's so school me HuntTalk.

i know common AR-15 calibers include .300 Blackout, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, .458 SOCOM, .50 Beowulf. how are these to shoot. put them in order from least recoil to most recoil.

i know common AR-10 calibers include 308 Winchester (7.62x51 NATO), .243 Win, 6.5 Creedmoor, .338 Federal, .300 Win. how are these to shoot. put them in order from least recoil to most recoil.

AR15 recoil from least to most (it really depends, but more on that later)
300 BLK
6.5G
6.8SPC
Then big jump to
458 socom
50 beowolf

AR10 recoil from least to most
6.5C
308 win
338 fed
Then
300 Win is not an AR10 cartridge. A few boutique mfgs make what they call AR20s for the long action stuff

A gas gun will recoil less than a bolt action in almost every case. That gas system absorbs recoil. But weight also plays a factor. Most ARs are going to weigh more than a standard bolt action rifle, especially when you start getting into the longer barrels that usually have a heavier profile for most cartridges that you have listed. Weight helps mitigate recoil.

With the first three cartridges, it will depend upon the load. These three cartridges have loads available from mild to wild. 300blk gained popularity as a subsonic cartridge, so a big 220gr bullet going slow will have minimal recoil and range. The 6.5G and 6.8SPC will be neck and neck depending upon the load, and both can be loaded with a WIDE array of bullets by a hand loader, but the 6.5G will almost always be more available in ammo and components. If you are shooting factory ammo in any of them then you will be limited in variety. 6.5G and 6.8SPC will have greater energy and flatter trajectory past 100yd with the proper bullets.

The two bigger thumpers will have substantially more recoil, as they are basically 45/70s rated for an AR.

AR10s can be made in just about any short action cartridge, but 308 is by far the most available and affordable. AR10s are even heavier than AR15s, and have a more cumbersome feel to some. This weight also helps to mitigate recoil, just like AR15s. There is a greater variation in specifications on AR10s, so not all parts are interchangeable.

I personally don’t find an AR10 as a good woods gun, as it is heavier and more cumbersome than I like, but some would disagree. I really find AR15s to be more cumbersome than bolt actions, so I rarely hunt with mine, but leave them for the kids due to recoil mitigation and adjustable size.

My choice in cartridge was 6.5G, and if you want to see what it will do on hogs with different loads then visit Carpe Sus on YouTube where he kills hogs on depredation and performs necropsies to see how the loads performed.

Depends on what you are using it for? The standard ones are .223 which is very minimal recoil. 300 blackout isn't far behind but usually requires a short barrel and/or suppressor to run effectively. The 6.5 grendel is a .264 bullet that can be used with a standard .223 lower as well as the 300 blackout. I would imagine the order you listed the calibers for ar 15 would be least recoil to high. I have no experience with anything above 300 blackout. Also the ar10 calibers would probably be .243, 6.5, .308 followed by the .300 and .338. I have no experience with the ar 10 calibers other than .308.

I have built 2 ar15s in the past, one which I traded in for my 7mm Rem Mag and the other one I still have. It's almost like owning a jeep wrangler if you ever have, there's so many things you can do to them. My first one was a standard .223 with a 16 inch barrel that I primarily used for home defense and deer hunting under 300 yards. The second I still have is a .223 wylde which can shoot both .223 and 5.56 with a 16 inch wilson combat heavy barrel on it. I put a 1-4 scope on it so I could do close range shooting and hunting out to 500 yards. There are so many barrels, rails, triggers, scopes, stocks that you can use its almost endless.

AR15 recoil from least to most (it really depends, but more on that later)
300 BLK
6.5G
6.8SPC
Then big jump to
458 socom
50 beowolf

AR10 recoil from least to most
6.5C
308 win
338 fed
Then
300 Win is not an AR10 cartridge. A few boutique mfgs make what they call AR20s for the long action stuff

A gas gun will recoil less than a bolt action in almost every case. That gas system absorbs recoil. But weight also plays a factor. Most ARs are going to weigh more than a standard bolt action rifle, especially when you start getting into the longer barrels that usually have a heavier profile for most cartridges that you have listed. Weight helps mitigate recoil.

With the first three cartridges, it will depend upon the load. These three cartridges have loads available from mild to wild. 300blk gained popularity as a subsonic cartridge, so a big 220gr bullet going slow will have minimal recoil and range. The 6.5G and 6.8SPC will be neck and neck depending upon the load, and both can be loaded with a WIDE array of bullets by a hand loader, but the 6.5G will almost always be more available in ammo and components. If you are shooting factory ammo in any of them then you will be limited in variety. 6.5G and 6.8SPC will have greater energy and flatter trajectory past 100yd with the proper bullets.

The two bigger thumpers will have substantially more recoil, as they are basically 45/70s rated for an AR.

AR10s can be made in just about any short action cartridge, but 308 is by far the most available and affordable. AR10s are even heavier than AR15s, and have a more cumbersome feel to some. This weight also helps to mitigate recoil, just like AR15s. There is a greater variation in specifications on AR10s, so not all parts are interchangeable.

I personally don’t find an AR10 as a good woods gun, as it is heavier and more cumbersome than I like, but some would disagree. I really find AR15s to be more cumbersome than bolt actions, so I rarely hunt with mine, but leave them for the kids due to recoil mitigation and adjustable size.

My choice in cartridge was 6.5G, and if you want to see what it will do on hogs with different loads then visit Carpe Sus on YouTube where he kills hogs on depredation and performs necropsies to see how the loads performed.
This is about as good of an answer as you could've hoped to receive.

A newer AR15 caliber that seems like it's going to stick around and punches above it's weight class is the 6mmARC.

My 2 cents, I have an AR10. I won't be buying another one. Too heavy, not as accurate as my bolt guns, and does a lot of things "good" but nothing "great".

My 308 AR 10 doesn’t kick as much as my bolt gun, but it still kicks. There is a lot of reciprocating mass in an AR10 bolt and carrier. It’s takes a lot of tweaking and tuning to get it out and make the rifle run reliably. They’re a poor choice of hunting rifle IMO. A light AR10 is still heavy.
Ive got AR 15s in .223 and 6.8 SPC, and had a 6.5 Grendel. I got rid of the Grendel because it kept breaking bolts. I was shooting gas gun precision matches and IMO there just isn’t enough metal in the bolt face of the Grendel for high volume shooting. It’s going to break eventually, if you shoot it enough.
I really like the 6.8 SPC. with a 95 TTSX or 110 Accubond it’s a great deer/ hog / bear cartridge out to 3-400 yds.

Echoing a lot of what has already been said:

I think the orders are right on recoil. That being said, outside of a 450BM, I’ve never shot an AR that really had much recoil in my opinion. However, my 308 with break and 20in muzzle had horrible blowback and muzzle blast. More annoying than anything, but I shot a deer once without hearing protection on a Friday and could start to hear again on Monday.

ARs, particularly AR-10s, are very heavy and I do not enjoy hunting with them all that much.

I do currently have a 6.5 Grendel that I built during COVID as a hunting/cool/coyote/blinking gun. However, in the two years I’ve had it I’ve never once grabbed it instead of my 300WM when I reached into the safe.

Recoil isn’t really an issue when I make my gun/caliber decisions. Probably the least important variable. However I respect you for recognizing it as a potential issue and working around it.

I had a 6.5creedmoor bolt gun that I could shoot and watch the bullet hit through the scope. I remember perceiving recoil on that gun as next to zero

If you like the AR appearance or adjustability, Sig's new Cross gives you a bolt gun in a custom lightweight ar-like frame. It comes in 6.5cm which shouldn't have too much recoil.

Weight of an AR is VERY make/model dependent. My POF Rogue pistol with brace in 7.62x51 is 5.6 pounds without the optic and mount. With the scope and mount it is 7.16 pounds- pretty dang light. Although technically a pistol it absolutely shoot like a rifle and the brake is effective. Here are some pics of it and the zero group. The last pic shows it with the original crap brace....first pic you can see the SBA 3 brace I put on it.

Attachments

• 20220827_063432.jpg
    20220827_063432.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 18
  • 20220822_160009.jpg
    20220822_160009.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
  • 20220608_180048.jpg
    20220608_180048.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 18
My 308 AR 10 doesn’t kick as much as my bolt gun, but it still kicks. There is a lot of reciprocating mass in an AR10 bolt and carrier. It’s takes a lot of tweaking and tuning to get it out and make the rifle run reliably. They’re a poor choice of hunting rifle IMO. A light AR10 is still heavy.
Ive got AR 15s in .223 and 6.8 SPC, and had a 6.5 Grendel. I got rid of the Grendel because it kept breaking bolts. I was shooting gas gun precision matches and IMO there just isn’t enough metal in the bolt face of the Grendel for high volume shooting. It’s going to break eventually, if you shoot it enough.
I really like the 6.8 SPC. with a 95 TTSX or 110 Accubond it’s a great deer/ hog / bear cartridge out to 3-400 yds.
FLS, I had read about the bolt breakage issues before I went with my Grr, but I read that most of that was in high volume, hard-run competition guns, and in the 6.5G I (first design; current chambering are 6.5G II) chambering. I could be wrong on my surmising, but I figured that I was buying this for a slow fire hunting rifle, not “bumping and jumping” in competition, so I was unlikely to have that problem. 6.5G just fit my application better due to availability first, and a slight edge in ballistics second that is mainly due to industry support in projectiles. 6.8 SPC II was actually my first choice when I started down that path but changed midstream as I started to research. You really can’t go wrong with either in the field in real world applications

Last edited:
I'm not a big AR fan, but I do have some experience with them.

I remember the M-16s that we had in Veitnam were lightweight with minimal recoil, but many of the AR-15s now have way more "stuff" on them that increases their weight.

For example, my BIL had a Fred Eichler model that had a metal barrel shoud, scope, and a combination laser red dot/flashlight. It weighed around 10 pounds. It was a .223/5.56 and I could barely feel the recoil.

Last month our local Murdochs store had a range day at our range. They had reps from all of their firearms related vendors there with their products available for people to shoot. One of the venders was local and they made ARs. I shot two of them that were chambered in .30-06 and .300 Win mag.

I didn't think the recoil in those cartridges was very excessive, especially after shooting a couple of rounds through the bolt action .50 BMG that they had there.

FLS, I had read about the bolt breakage issues before I went with my Grr, but I read that most of that was in high volume, hard-run competition guns, and in the 6.5G I (first design; current chambering are 6.5G II) chambering. I could be wrong on my surmising, but I figured that I was buying this for a slow fire hunting rifle, not “bumping and jumping” in competition, so I was unlikely to have that problem. 6.5G just fit my application better due to availability first, and a slight edge in ballistics second that is mainly due to industry support in projectiles. 6.8 SPC II was actually my first choice when I started down that path but changed midstream as I started to research. You really can’t go wrong with either in the field in real world applications
I had a custom upper built in 6.8 spc with a 18" stainless Shilen ultramatch barrel. Its a tack driver. The 6.8 is a great deer round, but I use it for coyotes. No recoil and has plenty of knock down power. Great little round.

blacksheep

So since my last post about picking out a good hunting rifle with minimal recoil and deciding on the 6.5 Creedmoor [more on that later b the way], i have dove into a rabbit hole to china. Heck, i might be in another universe or subverse hahaha. i ran into ''building a AR-15''. of course i was curious and fascinated so i dug deeper, but it struck me that its probably to much recoil for me anyways. as i almost hung my head in dismay i found the golden goose.....the have an AR-10. i dont know much about AR's so school me HuntTalk.

i know common AR-15 calibers include .300 Blackout, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, .458 SOCOM, .50 Beowulf. how are these to shoot. put them in order from least recoil to most recoil.

i know common AR-10 calibers include 308 Winchester (7.62x51 NATO), .243 Win, 6.5 Creedmoor, .338 Federal, .300 Win. how are these to shoot. put them in order from least recoil to most recoil.
What are you planning on hunting with this rig. Just deer or antelope or is there something larger on the menu?

Weight of an AR is VERY make/model dependent. My POF Rogue pistol with brace in 7.62x51 is 5.6 pounds without the optic and mount. With the scope and mount it is 7.16 pounds- pretty dang light. Although technically a pistol it absolutely shoot like a rifle and the brake is effective. Here are some pics of it and the zero group. The last pic shows it with the original crap brace....first pic you can see the SBA 3 brace I put on it.
Is that 100 yards?

The cloverleaf is at 50m (the zero to marry up with the BDC reticle on the Strike Eagle). At 100m it is +-.75-.80"

PS I did take a doe with it in IN this year at about 70m
Very nice.

I called Co Springs home for about 5 years. Stationed at Cheyenne Mountain and Schriever. Back in the late 90s early 2000s.

Went on tour once inside Cheyenne Mountain
Control Center sitting on massive springs….
They were talking about moving the operation to East Coast.
After Army retirement built my Colt MK 12 Mod 0 and now just wrapped up my Colt Reece rifle

Went on tour once inside Cheyenne Mountain
Control Center sitting on massive springs….
They were talking about moving the operation to East Coast.
After Army retirement built my Colt MK 12 Mod 0 and now just wrapped up my Colt Reece rifle
What year did you do the tour? I was there from 1998 - 2000 and then at Schriever teaching the Air Warning Center course from 2001 - 2003. They moved ops over to Peterson after I retired.

Sounds like a nice build.

What year did you do the tour? I was there from 1998 - 2000 and then at Schriever teaching the Air Warning Center course from 2001 - 2003. They moved ops over to Peterson after I retired.

Sounds like a nice build.
1987 stationed at Carson 2/7 Cav
Those huge doors at the mountain perfectly balanced one man can close them amazingly.
It took me 2 years to buy the parts and the Douglas MK 12 barrel from Frank White of Ft Cambell ret now at Compass Lake and since retired and his son runs the business. Most everything else came from PRI and Ops Inc.
The Reece I just built High Cal sales offered me a 16” Douglas but I went with 16” Noveske Recon barrel and MK 14 Rail
Really like the barrel a lot of match shooters here use it with great results and also recommended by the Ft Bragg DMC instructor.

Last edited:
In today’s society with the Cartel operating now on the US side of the boarder !
M4 Carbine 5.56 and Glock 17 always in my veh and home.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back