Deer Hunting: Is the .350 Legend bound to be the "thirty aught six" for the straight-wall-cartridge eastern states?

TomTeriffic

It should even shoot much softer than an '06 I should think.

Here is what old Mr. Gun Blue 490 thinks of the "marvelous" 21st Century Legend round:

The 6.5 Creedmoor was once so wonderfully touted but some cornfield state game regulators don't seem to dig it much.

Iowa requires rifle calibers from .350 - .500 bore (necked-down, straight-wall or pistol), or, shotguns, for deer during most gun seasons except the special January antlerless hunt whereby virtually any caliber CF deer rifle cartridge can be used to clean up those remaining mangement does as a result of any surplus tags. The Savage Axis in .350 Legend seems to be the "new .30-06" for rifle-caliber-restrictive more-eastern American states. I don't fancy toting my nice 1971-vintage steel-blued/checkered wood stocked Sako L579 Forester .243 bolt-action in the freezing snow for a January freezer doe should I end up moving to the Hawkeye State. I must have a modern shoulder-fired low-recoiling but accurate gun with a grooved bore to haul in the venison to my freezer. This notion of shotguns, Savage 220 bolt slug guns, handguns, muzzle-loaders and archer's bows for deer doesn't make my cut. In no mood to trifle, I like the notion of taking down a trusty rifle on a November day so clear out to hunt some deer.

PS - This looks like it MIGHT be the ammo for a Savage Axis in Iowa/Indiana/Ohio deer country. One reviewer claims sub-MOA in his Axis rifle.
Font Rectangle Electric blue Magenta Cylinder

I have done a little reading on this caliber kind of hoping that MN would finally update their slug regulations. Most of what I read was on on "Michigan Sportmens Forum". I found it interesting reading. When they passed a straight wall law in part of Michigan that was a slug zone it seems a lot of guys started out with the 450 Bushmaster. When the 350 Legend came out a lot f them moved to that. Less recoil and muzzle blast. There is also a 350 Legend Facebook group.

Guy has 350 posts total. More than 60 of them are new threads. Stop it

How is a rather new cartridge like that already a Legend?
I don't know. Winchester might have otherwise better called it the .350 Cornfielder, or, even the .350 Flyover. This round was conceived to deal with straight-wall regs. My suggested namesakes might have been insulting to heartland American states with these straight-wall rules, however. Toto, we are not in Kansas anymore.

Reactions: JDH
You're not gonna find one with fine hand checkering.
That's the real bee-yotch of it all. But I'm even more concerned with getting venison into the freezer should I end up living in a straight-wall state. Iowa will accept the .35 Whelen to satisfy it's .35-minimum-diameter-bullet deer caliber requirement. Remington made some pump rifles in nice checkered wooden stocks back in the day. Some were offered in .35 Whelen. I don't know how bad .35 Whelen kicks though. How many miles does a .35 Whelen bullet even carry?

No classic bolt-action, except an elephant gun, will satisfy the .35-minimum requirement for Iowa. Certainly, no Savage 99 will meet this requirement. I don't need a .375 Holland & Holland for a cornfield doe. There would be nothing left to put in the freezer.

That's the real bee-yotch of it all. But I'm even more concerned with getting venison into the freezer should I end up living in a straight-wall state. Iowa will accept the .35 Whelen to satisfy it's .35-minimum-diameter-bullet deer caliber requirement. Remington made some pump rifles in nice checkered wooden stocks back in the day. Some were offered in .35 Whelen. I don't know how bad .35 Whelen kicks though. How many miles does a .35 Whelen bullet even carry?

No classic bolt-action, except an elephant gun, will satisfy the .35-minimum requirement for Iowa. Certainly, no Savage 99 will meet this requirement. I don't need a .375 Holland & Holland for a cornfield doe. There would be nothing left to put in the freezer.
35 remington or the new 360 buckhammer also fit the criteria and lever actions are available in nicely finished rifles…

Also, I’m guessing you haven’t shot much with a 375 H&H. If you shoot deer through the lungs and use something like the Barnes ttsx all you end up with is some extra recoil, a dead deer with a slightly larger entrance/exit hole, and absolutely no additional meat loss. I would venture to guess most people don’t do much with ribs anyway.

Also, in almost every post you have you lament on classic rifles. There’s really nothing more classic and nostalgic than the 375 H&H plus it’s available in almost any fine rifle built.

35 remington or the new 360 buckhammer also fit the criteria and lever actions are available in nicely finished rifles…

Also, I’m guessing you haven’t shot much with a 375 H&H. If you shoot deer through the lungs and use something like the Barnes ttsx all you end up with is some extra recoil, a dead deer with a slightly larger entrance/exit hole, and absolutely no additional meat loss. I would venture to guess most people don’t do much with ribs anyway.

Also, in almost every post you have you lament on classic rifles. There’s really nothing more classic and nostalgic than the 375 H&H plus it’s available in almost any fine rifle built.

No, I have never shot the H&H but I gather it is an elephant gun for dangerous game in Africa. I lament on classic "deer cartridges" as used by many American hunters over the 20th century: .243, .308, .270, .257 Roberts, .250-3000, .300 Savage and .30-06.

The .350 so-called Legend appeals to me because it is easy on recoil. I don't know of any fancier-grade wood/blue rifle to yet feature this chambering. Winchester Model 70 doesn't seem to offer the Legend. Most cornfield state hunters are blue-collar deer-getters and likewise will buy blue-collar-grade guns for the task. I bought a new Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor 3 years ago and got rid of it. It was pure crap. The bolt did not close on chambered rounds easily. The Savage Axis is no safe queen material for looks but this plastic el-cheapo might prove more reliable than any Ruger cheepie. I don't want to hunt deer with any AR-looking thing.

Who currently offers bolt-action, pump-action or lever-action rifles in: 35 remington or the new 360 buckhammer?

Last edited:
Iowa is not an eastern state.

Here in North Carolina, an indisputably eastern state you’re 30-06 is welcome.
Some counties in Virginia are restricted to shotgun only but for the most part your 30-06 welcome there.

I’m sure South Carolina, Maryland and Pennsylvania still allow rifles too.

Iowa is not, nor has ever been considered an eastern state.
By the way, neither are Indiana nor Ohio.

Iowa is not an eastern state.

Here in North Carolina, an indisputably eastern state you’re 30-06 is welcome.
Some counties in Virginia are restricted to shotgun only but for the most part your 30-06 welcome there.

I’m sure South Carolina, Maryland and Pennsylvania still allow rifles too.

Iowa is not, nor has ever been considered an eastern state.
By the way, neither are Indiana nor Ohio.
To me "east" means EAST of the Rockies having lived in California most of my life. This man uses a rifle in a conventional deer caliber to hunt deer in New Hampshire. Virtually no state west of the Rockies has any rifle restrictions during normal deer gun seasons. East of the Rockies, the whole deer rifle thing can be patchy state to state and jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Most land EOTR is private and folks and farmers live in closer proximity. The TRUE West, WOTR, is largely wild, open and free for THE RICH these days.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back