PEAX Equipment

Colorado Bull Story (a bunch of bull about a Bull)

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Since I have a small opening this afternoon, I will try to cram in the details of this short Colorado elk hunt. You've seen pics in the Nosler Ammo thread, but thought I would provide more details here.

Most know this was a Unit 61 3rd Rifle Season tag that took me 19 points to draw. I was praying for snow, or at least a bit of cooler weather, as that is very helpful in glassing bulls in these canyons. With temps over 70F, my prayers were obviously unanswered. The forecast for the entire hunt was warm temps. I thought about all the 3rd Season deer tag holders who had burned tons of points due to the later dates this season, only to be basking in T-shirt weather.

We drove from the NV deer hunt to SLC where we dropped Matthew off for his flight back to NC. From there, Marcus and I drove to the Plateau, getting camp set up in late afternoon of the second day of season, allowing enough time to drive the Yamaha Viking to the top of the mesa for twenty minutes of glassing (note, on these roads, a side-by-side is far faster than a pick up). Marcus got glimpse of a group of eight bulls in the bottom of a canyon. That was all for the evening, but a good comfort to know at least one spot on my map held elk.

The next morning was to retrace our steps up the mesa, parking the SxS well before daylight and being at our glassing spot to wait for the sun to rise. I was told about this little knob by a former tagholder. He told me that it didn't look like much, but it got you high enough above the P-J that you could glass a lot of country. He was right. It was well worth the hike to get here.

As the sun rose behind us it illuminated many orange dots a couple miles across the canyons. Closer examination with the 80mm Gold Ring showed them all to be bulls, with the exception of four cows milling across a couple hundred yards below us. Having six days to hunt, I was mostly interested in window shopping. After all, I had waited a pretty long time to pull this tag.

Within an hour we had seen a black bear, a half-decent mule deer buck, and three groups of elk that had a total of 14 bulls, three of which were worth a closer look. By the time the sun had been up an hour, the elk had crawled down into or around the dark shaded corners of canyons and hillsides. If we had arrived at this glassing spot an hour after sunrise, we would have been convinced that no elk existed.

I often say that late season public land elk is a glassing game, even in hot weather like this. They just don't stand around very long. I need to look up one of the old studies I read, but it said something to the affect that a bull elk in his full winter coat will spend more energy thermo-regulating his body temp when it is 40F than when it is -20F. Given how fast they ran from the sun, this day appeared to support that study.

With the elk gone, I pulled out the maps and started looking at the Forest Travel Plan; What roads would get closest, and if there was any way to negotiate the big canyons near which these bulls were hanging out? The Travel Map showed why the bulls were here - all the trails were closed to motorized travel, with only a few stem roads getting you into the heart of this area. I knew that in advance and such is why all my "sanctuary" dots on my map were located within the areas with closed trails.

It was determined that rather than waste the afternoon resting at camp, we would go exploring and find the best possible way to get close to those sanctuary areas. We made good time getting there, even being interrupted by a few hunters who wanted to visit. Once there, I was once again reminded of how looking at terrain from afar has a tendency to flatten it out. This was NOT flat terrain. In fact, I had to drop a couple hundred feet off the lip just to look down into an area a smaller group of bulls had disappeared. Thankfully, none of those had interested me much.

Marcus and I smiled at the task ahead. There was a bit of coverage at times, so I rechecked the weather forecast. Marcus knew the result based on my moaning about the years of points to draw, only to be disrupted by Arizona-style weather. Oh well, can't change it, so better figure out how to kill a bull in it.

Looking at the GPS and the onXmap, I could see the least steep, though still very steep, nose of the mesa dropping down 600' vertical to what was supposedly an old trail. From there, we could traverse a side of this mesa for a mile, hit a saddle, then scale up the other side to the opposing mesa where two of the bigger bulls had taken their beds. As with all things, the view from atop seems better than it really.

Let me say this right now; How you guys in CO and UT hunt in that oak brush and don't give up in complete frustration, is a small miracle. Even on the way down, I was cussing and fighting with the oak to return the items it was stealing from my body and off my pack. It is reminiscent of the devil's club jungles in Alaska, without the rain and slippery moss. If I never see another oak in my life, it will not hurt my feelings.

It took longer than expected to drop the 600' where the trail was supposed to be. "Supposed to be" is a key part. I was bushwhacking to try locate the trail that my GPS said was under my feet. "If this is the trail, we're screwed." Luckily, it was only 20 yards further down the ridge, a fact I did not stumble upon until investing a half hour sidehilling through this mess.

Once we hit the trail, we covered the next mile quite easily. As we crossed a saddle and cinched our packs to climb the opposing mesa, Marcus thought he saw an elk bedded down below the saddle. We employed the spotters and sure enough, a small 5x5 was bedded in the Mahoganies. Hmm. Might we worth looking around a bit more. But, he better be huge, or he is safe to be hiding down in that mess.

Before we moved on, we found four more bulls, two of which were nice clean unbroken 6x6s. Not huge, but really nice bulls that I would shoot anywhere else. Hell, if they were in a better spot, I would shoot them on this tag toward the end of the hunt. Time to get to the top of this other mesa and further inspect the two bulls that seemed to be the nicest of what we had seen this morning.

As we wormed our way up the face, it was nice to find a bit of a game trail that helped us avoid the worst of the brush. I commented to Marcus that it appeared a bull had traversed this same trail not too long before us. While we were stair stepping, any place the hoof kicked up dirt, it was still damp on the rock. The stink was also a good indicator.

Eventually, 400' of vertical got us to where the mesa started and the slope ended. Another quarter of mile and we were on a flat plane that allowed us to glass ahead. And shortly ahead was a small six-pointer that was traveling the trail we had been on. Dang, too bad he wasn't a whopper. This bull would have been in the easiest extraction location of all that we had seen. Oh well, time to get out the spotters and try to place an eye on the two bulls I wanted to inspect further.

It was now about 3pm. Time for elk to get on their feet in most instances, but not in these temps. Down off the north face I looked, only to spook some animal bedded near the lip. It crashed and smashed its way through the dark timber. Never saw it, but I suspect it was an elk.

Moving back to the spotter, I noticed antlers moving above some scrub aspen. Dialing up to 40X, I could see another bull a bit further behind. And then another. And another. This was the group of four bulls. They were on their feet and feeding in the stunted aspens that obscured any good view of their antlers. Time to be patient.

While waiting for the bulls to emerge from the hedge-like wall of aspens, I went to the point of this mesa in hopes I could see the group of five bulls from this morning. Going off the lip a small distance, I still could not find enough grade to allow me the benefit of glancing over the brush. Wherever those bulls disappeared this morning, I could not see. I was thankful none of them were anything that seemed really big.

I then rounded back to the east to take another glimpse at the bulls Marcus had spotted on our way in. Still nothing big among those bulls. They were on their feet feeding and making it pretty easy to examine them from a position that was almost directly above.

When I got back to Marcus, he had found a shed antler and hung it in a tree. A bit of a side story here. I grew up near a reservation and my native friends had a spiritual belief that if you found an antler you hung it in a tree as a gift back to the heavens and it would give you better luck in your hunts. That is what I do with shed antlers I find in the field. It worked in New Mexico, so March did not want to break the possible superstitions that were putting a wind at our back for the last few hunts. If you find sheds in a tree, I might have passed through.

Marcus filming as the sun is starting to set on this superbly beautiful afternoon.
20161107_164544.jpg

Marcus and I discussed the merits of keeping the elk antler in the tree, or if he should haul it out when we leave. Marcus was adamant that he did not want to bring any curse upon us, given the roll we have been on. While we spoke of religion, spirits, and other superstitions, the two bigger bulls we had been watching decided to turn and start feeding in a path that would take them closer to an opening where we would have a much better view of them.

Hmm. Wide and heavy or narrow with longer points? Eenie Meenie Minee Mo...... Marcus and I discussed the logistics of extraction from that location. They were two nice bulls. The extraction would be far easier than down in the canyons most the bulls were hanging in. It was going to be super warm and this might be as good as it gets. If...... If..... If you could make them a Frankenbull, he would be over 350.

After a half hour, I told Marcus I wanted to start our way back to the trailhead and use the last hour of shooting light to look in a few more pockets and futher inspect the group of bulls he had spotted on our way in. With that, we packed up the gear and started our way toward the saddle we needed to cross to get to the other mesa. As we walked out, we both looked at the antler hanging in the spruce tree, turned to each other and chuckled.

As we started down to the saddle, my eyes kept looking down to our right. That is where the group of bulls were shading themselves earlier. My focus being too intense, Marcus had to say my name out loud to prevent me from walking right over a spike and raghorn that had taken up a position next to this faint game trail. Thankfully, they darted back down to our left where they had originated. Hmmm. Better pay attention, Randy.

Nearing the lower section of this slope, where it formed a saddle, I rounded a cluster of dark spruce and climbed upon a small rock ledge, just big enough to give view over the tops of the oak and down into the bottom of the canyon. "Gawd, what a forsaken place that is."

Looking on the other slope, a ways off the canyon bottom, the late afternoon light had found entrance, lighting of a portion of the abyss that I suspect only gets direct sunlight for a half hour each afternoon. It made the oaks look almost purple, the grasses gold, and one big old elk look like an orange pumpkin. I pointed to Marcus this nice bull further underneath than where we had seen the others on our way up. In the binos I could see a seventh point on one side. I could see long main beams. "Where's my spotter?"

While I drew out my spotter, Marcus was filming and giving some commentary about this being the finest bull of the 20+ we had seen today. I had to jack up the tripod to its highest position and even then it barely cleared the oak tops. The bull fed slightly away, giving a bit more reveal with each step. Yup, he was a pretty good one.

I looked at Marcus. "How far?" he asked.

"Let's see. 455 yards and steep downhill. Too far."

I suggested we drop off this saddle and lose some elevation, crabbing to our right so as to give us a slightly more cross-canyon view of the small area the bull was feeding. Easier said than done while wading through nipple-high oaks that are grabbing at all you carry.

We got to a crack in the oaks that was low enough for the big tripod of the video camera to work. I ranged it; now 335. Marcus got the sticks stabilized as the last rays of sun raced from this canyon, intercepted by the ridge to our west. This position offered some filming possibility, but not a single shot possibility, other than offhand; something not even a consideration under these conditions at that range.

I had no choice but to violate the first commandment of filming - The triggerman shall never leave the side of the camera man. Never!

Well, unconventional situations require breaking the normal conventions. Stroking ten yards right, I found an even better crack in the oaks. By moving downhill a couple yards, a small crown gave me an even steeper angle with better options to clear the oaks, if I could bust them off. And so I started busting the tops of the oaks, sure the bull would hear and spook further underneath us and out of sight. I glassed him. Nope, he was oblivious.

I darted back to where I had my pack resting on a smaller oak. Got in the shooting position. Dang it, two more limbs in the way. I shimmied down the slope and snapped them off, then climbed back to my rifle. I sat down and put my pack across my knees. Crap, another limb, this one a bit closer. Repeat the process.

Marcus is now telling me that the canyon wall is blocking the light to a point where he has to turn up the gain on the camera earlier than normal. We still have a half hour of shooting light. Not good.

In this process, the bull has fed a bit to my left. As I scoot right to try make my shooting lane work, another limb is in the way. I jump up and snap it off, look to the bull, and notice he is still feeding unaware. Upon return to my rifle I grab the range finder and get a reading; 342 and still super steep angle. I use the binos for more inspection. Yup, still has a seventh point. Looking almost down on him, his beams are surely over 50" and his width might not be 40", but still OK. Tine length is hard to tell, due to both the angle and the obscuring brush.

I'm now on the bull as he is facing straight away. My dials are set. Marcus tells me he is rolling and ready whenever I am. The bulls refuses to turn, allowing me time to practice my breathing in a very unorthodox shooting position; steep downhill with pack upright between my legs and the rifle seated firmly between the load lifters and the tripod strapped to the outside of the pack. I remember being quite surprised by how steady the position was.

I continue breathing and practicing as the bull stays stationary. I tell Marcus that he must move uphill for me to have a clear shot. As if he read the script, he does just that, leaving his last four or five ribs exposed as he quarters away and uphill behind brush that covers his near shoulder blade. I always lay my crosshairs to the anticipated exit hole when shooting quartering animals. When my crosshairs settle to leave an exit low on his opposite shoulder, the brush is only covering the far front of his shoulder, leaving an open path for the Nosler Partition. This feels like a damn good shooting situation, even if it looks like a gymnastic training exercise.

Before Marcus can give another confidence vote that he is ready, the Howa has fired. The recoil moves me from what was once a stable sitting position. Marcus guides me to where the bull has moved; a few yards downhill and creeping in the opposite direction as when I first shot. I see his antlers and follow his body outline as he takes a few stumbling steps down the slope. As his chest starts into a small opening, I fire again. As I jack in the third round, Marcus announces the bull is down. I look up, only to see him sliding a bit down this slope, when his antlers hang up in the oaks. A sure sign I misjudged the steepness of the slopes forming this canyon.

I turn to Marcus with a big smile. I look at my watch to see what have twenty minutes of shooting light remaining. We agree I will skid down this slope and locate the bull while we have a few cracks of light, while Marcus will go back up to the saddle and gather the items we dropped in our haste to find a shooting position.

I am not far into this endeavor when I realize how thick this oak is. As I sidehill, it is over my head in many places. Thankfully, I had taken a mental image before leaving my shooting position; large cliff above, at the base of which was a single Mahogany within the oaks. Further below in the oaks and just past a big scree slide, was a small lone spruce that rose above the oaks. I got to the cliff. Ahead I could see faint remnants of light bouncing off the quartz rocks in the scree slide. I cross it with considerable effort, hitting another wall of oaks on the opposite side. Ahead 50 yards I see the top of the small spruce claiming its dominance over the carpet of oaks. I take a heading between that and the Mahogany tops protruding a bit upslope. I dive in.

I arrived at the bull completely exhausted. Not just from the adrenaline rush of the twenty minutes of chaos prior to the shot, but the growing fear of what the hell I just did by shooting this bull down here. A quick glance at my GPS showing we are 800' vertical from the saddle and less than a quarter mile by horizontal distance does nothing to comfort me. I hang my spare headlamp as high as I can in the oaks, giving Marcus a target to aim for as he drops down into the darkening hole.

While waiting for Marcus, I take a few deep breaths and try to absorb what happened in the last half hour. It was a perfect first shot, entering his driver's side ribs, a bit high due to shooting angle, transects the lungs, and exits outs the passenger side front shoulder, just below the arm pit. He was dead on his feet when that one hit. The second one was iffy, given the brush, but my theory is that if you think you hit a bull, you shoot until he is down. I did not find a second bullet in him, whether brush, rushed shot, rocked from my steady position, or whatever. Guess it didn't matter.

Darkness quickly jolts me back to the reality of this situation. We will have to tie the bull off with P-cord to keep him from sliding further down. I roll a rock to get a feel of how far down the bottom is. The volleyball-sized rock rolls for a long time, even through the oaks seem impenetrable. What a dumb idea. As Pat Sinclair has told me, "Big elk and money will make grown men do some stupid things." Yup, stupid.

Marcus makes a few calls to me, or maybe he was just cussing the oaks. I reply, hoping my voice will serve as sounding radar to guide him closer. I wonder how the heck is going through this mess with all the cords and cables attached to that camera. I can hear his approach long before I see his headlamp. I wonder aloud what I am going to say in my apology for shooting this thing in such a bad place.

Following a significant amount of effort to saw down enough oaks to provide a photo lane, we had one field photo that turned out half way decent. Note the P-cord tied around his antlers and going up to the nearest oak bush.
MAH_2051.jpg

Damn! I couldn't locate one like that near Leadville with the temps I saw, but you pulled it off nicely! If you ever need a Colorado partner (who is tough as a nail and drags 'em whole usually) PM me!

;)
Kevin

Fantastic hunting story. Congratulations on surviving the flagellation of the oaks.

YouTube tutorial idea: teach us how these last lingering moments of light pics are made. Nevada 3 Mule deer and this one are superb.

You crazy man!

I just spent 5 days in oaks,oak brush & pokey things and saw deer where I can no longer go. A 500 ft drop to a bench and a 180ish buck with 20min of light. No go,me.

With the aid of extra headlamps (I always carry two, sometimes three) and a small folding saw Marcus carries, we were able to light up the area we had cleared for the huge task at hand. It was only 6 pm and darkness owned the sky. Between us, we have been on well over 50 elk dis-assemblies, but this one had us both scratching our heads. It was going to take some ingenuity.

I decided we would leave him on his side. I would take the top front shoulder off first. I figured the less weight, the lower the risk of him breaking the P-cord and surfing down the slope. The P-cord could have been tuned to play dueling banjos, given how taught it was. With the front shoulder off I did the backstraps, T-loins, and all trim meat I could carve away. I then moved to the hind quarter and decided I best keep the proof of sex attached to the top quarter in the event things when downhill. With considerable effort, we somehow got that hind removed from the carcass. Now what?

We tried to roll him. No dice. The weight was pulling the P-cord so tight we could not roll his head. We only had one choice. Re-tie the P-cord to the bottom side front leg and remove the head as he lay. Talk about a task. That was harder than any part of this job and surely a greater effort than any head I've ever removed.

With the head removed, we had to try roll him over. Still no luck. We had one choice; untie the front leg and let him slide. Wherever he came to rest, hopefully we could access the underside. And with that we let him go. He only made it about five yards before some more oaks claimed him as their own. He was on his back and pointing slightly downhill. That gave us the opportunity to roll him on to the side we had just processed, tie him off, and pull his hind further down the hill.

Again, the P-cord was fiddle-tight. The weight being reduced by our work on the first side did make him easier to handle. I first took off the remaining hind. I then skinned him up the back to where the front quarter protected the backstrap. I carved out the back end of that backstrap, taking me up to shoulders. That backstrap had no choice but to come out in two pieces. With the front leg still tied, I somehow was able to carve around the brisket and remove the front quarter, and in doing so, the now quarterless carcass slid a few feet further down the hill. I was able to get the remainder of the backstrap, trim, and other goodies.

We were spent. This had taken the better part of three hours. We now had decisions of what to take, what to leave, and what route to try navigate. It is here where I made a call for the sake of safety. In our daily packs, we carry pretty heavy loads. I knew it meant an extra trip, but I did not feel comfortable navigating these rocks and ledges, in the dark, in a place I'd never been, with heavy loads of meat added to the weight we carry. We would have our hands full trying to pull ourselves through this brush with what we had.

It took over any hour to gain the saddle from where we did our shooting. With no time to lose we hustled down the rim trail another mile to the launch point where we had to bushwack up another 600' of vertical brush. At 11:15 pm, we arrived at the Yamaha, completely spent. Now, we had an 1:45 minute drive back to camp. It was long, chilly, and hard to stay awake.

When we got to camp I told Marcus my liver was about to crash and we would sleep in. Whatever the plan for extraction, it would come to us the next morning. And it did. While eating a 9 am breakfast we decided we would haul a spike camp over to the place we left the road, as we fully expected it would take two days to get this bull out. Slamming down some raisin bran and a bagel, we drove the two hours around the loop, this time in my Titan. It was slower, but allowed us to carry some creature comforts for the night at this spot.

When we arrived, a group of six ATVs and twelve hunters were parked near where we dropped off the mesa. They had cow tags, expressing no interest in doing what we did. They laughed and commented about me being some sort of tough guy to shoot a bull there. I lectured them to not confuse "stupid" with being "tough."

Our plan was to get as much as we could out of the canyon and up to the saddle. Our last loads of the day we would take all the way with us and up to the truck that night. By 4:30 pm we had boned it all and hauled both hinds, one front, and all the trim/T-Loin/backstraps to the saddle where we hung it in grove of spruce, exposed to a thermal breeze that would blow on them all night. The only casualty of the trip being a stick in my right eye that gave me double vision and is causing me to doctor with an ophthalmologist here at home. It is the most painful eye injury I've had, thankfully having had very few. Trees have a lot of fungus, so if you jab a stick in your eye, get it checked. Odds are, you will be given a dose of antibiotic to kill any fungus that can cause lasting eye damage.

Knowing darkness would be upon us before we got up the last grade, I grabbed a boned out hind and Marcus grabbed the bag of trim/Loins/Straps. We hustled down the rim trail to the spot where we would have to labor up another 600' of vertical brush to where we had parked. By a little after 6 pm, and in complete dark, we stumbled to the truck, worn and tired. Even worse, knowing we had two more bad trips ahead of us in the morning.

Camping here was far better than driving the round trip back to our main camp. The view was pretty damn nice. Photo credit to Marcus Hockett.
MAH_2142.jpg

Evidently word got out that we had found a pod of bulls. We were awaken by some rigs pulling up just as the sun was clearing the eastern mesa edge. While I sat in my long handles, a guy came around the corner of my truck and startled me. He was looking for an elk. I showed him three bulls on an off ridge. He looked and gave thanks that he had a cow tag. I didn't blame him. We explained to him and his buddy that we were half way done with our extraction. When I showed him on the GPS where the placemark said "Bull," he erupted in laughter, mixing in some very colorful language as he tried to explain to his buddy where the bull was. Good guys and fun entertainment.

Now up and moving, we decided to gulp some cold breakfast and try to beat the hot sun and get the last load of head and boned-front out of the canyon, to the saddle, by noon. Marcus decided to haul a video camera and his DSLR, citing he did not feel he had the goods he wanted the night we shot it. Over my protests, he loaded them in his pack and stood ready, using body language to announce that he would be insubordinate today, with respect to my instructions of not carry additional weight. Given the results, I am glad he did.

We had the head and boned front to the saddle earlier than expected. Given it was our fourth trip down into this hole, a process of elimination was used to find the least treacherous of the routes available. That made for good time, though colorful language was required as every oak bush wanted to grab the rack along the way. Gawd awful frustrating.

My eye was still blurry as we topped out. I told Marcus I wanted to hustle and get these loads to the truck by 4pm, to which he replied, "Why not 2 pm?" Smart ass millennials.

Well, we didn't quite make the 2 pm target, but by 2:30 pm we were resting the last loads on the tailgate, thankful that was behind us. In the follow up podcast to this, Marcus said it was "Type 2 fun." I call BS on that. It was no fun. It was just flat out work and pain. A sharp stick in the eye did not help.

The ride to camp, breaking camp, and the drive home was uneventful, other than the required flat tire from a six-inch spike through the right rear; a new Cooper AT3 with only 6,000 miles on it. Complete loss. Always fun to change tires when you have the truck fully loaded, 14' trailer attached, in the dark, on a small state highway and traffic buzzing past at post-light speed.

I can't thank Marcus enough. He and Tyler are two backcountry badasses who make this show and these episodes what they are. Marcus is always smiling, always optimistic, and his adopted superstition of an "antler as a gift to the hunting spirits" seemed to work its magic again. I feel blessed to have people of this quality involved in our production. I can say beyond a doubt, that without them, this tent would have folded a while back.

You have seen a few of these images, but more for the sake of this thread.

The new GEN2 Mystery Ranch Metcalf has passed all tests of its first season.
MAH_2721.jpg

Two dimensional video/photo does not do justice to steep terrain.
MAH_2799.jpg

I had turned 52 just three days prior. I'm too old for another one of these trips.
MAH_2818.jpg

One main beam is 53" and the other 54". I thought they would be a couple inches longer when I saw him from above.
MAH_2843.jpg

Somewhere down there, the magpies will find a feast.
MAH_2895.jpg

Trying out some new Hillebergs. Excellent.
MAH_2637.jpg

MAH_2590.jpg

Congrats on a great bull!! and yes, that oak brush is some of the worst crap to deal with.

Code:
 I lectured them to not confuse "stupid" with being "tough."
"Hi, I'm Randy Newberg." (lol)

Even so, envious here ...

Hope your eye is okay.

Nice job, Randy! I picked up your bull at the processor today and it is in the freezer of a very thankful local family this evening. They send their thanks.

Nice job, Randy! I picked up your bull at the processor today and it is in the freezer of a very thankful local family this evening. They send their thanks.

I am happy to hear that. I am grateful for all those family members do for conservation.

Outstanding! What a great night photo of your bull with the La Sal Range behind you. The plateau is an a$$ kicker and the oak brush is awful, but the critters sure do love it. Congrats!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back