Cleaning antelope horns

mdunc8

What do you guys use to clean up your antelope horns to get them dark and shiny? I've got a couple skulls I need to finish cleaning.

I've heard that the best concoction for returning horns and antlers to their original color can be found in HD 329! Just what I've heard!

I've heard that the best concoction for returning horns and antlers to their original color can be found in HD 329! Just what I've heard!

3 of my buddies have killed 7 points in 329... apparently that is the way to go!!

Dunc, did you spray directly on the horns, or wet a cloth and wipe it on?

I have eland and wildebeest horns than need some help. The surface on the eland seems very smooth, while the wildebeest is quite rough/pitted.

Lightly sprayed directly on the horns and wiped up the excess with a towel. Both the top (smooth) and base (rough/pitted) look good.

Motor oil or something else for white washed elk antlers?

This is what my bro did to one of dad's nice muley racks from the 60's that hung in his garage until he passed away.

I reviewed several different methods on the internet for cleaning the antlers of fifty years of dust and fly poop. Settled on warm soapy water, steel wool and/or a wire brush. After it was cleaned and dried I mixed a solution of potassium permanganate (1/2 teaspoon to 3/4 cup of water) and painted it on with a 1" brush. Initially panicked when the antlers were turned purple but after a few seconds they started turning the right color. Mounted on a fake european mount skull.

I think it came out just a hair browner than I would want.

RackResto.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back