"Catch a poacher trap" pic's

In high school, we used to skin out a rooster and use a clothes hanger and a coffee can to set it up just off the road in a fence line. It was legal to road hunt in SD so we would put it out and drive our friends by the “decoy” and watch them try to ground pound it with their shotguns. This was before the phone video days…man did we have some great laughs. Tried it with a deer hide, a fence post and some 5 gallon buckets one time, but my brother looked through the scope and wouldn’t fall for it…lol.

I've participated in a few of them long ago, including the first successful one in NW CO back in 1989 or so. The first decoy we used was a deer shoulder mount form spray-painted gray and mounted on a U-channel post, a set of average antlers screwed on the top, a chicken-wire "body" covered with a burlap sack, and a couple of pieces of reflective tape for eyes. Guy shot at it with a bow from the bed of a pickup after dark, right over the cab.

Saw some pretty funny stuff.

In high school, we used to skin out a rooster and use a clothes hanger and a coffee can to set it up just off the road in a fence line. It was legal to road hunt in SD so we would put it out and drive our friends by the “decoy” and watch them try to ground pound it with their shotguns. This was before the phone video days…man did we have some great laughs. Tried it with a deer hide, a fence post and some 5 gallon buckets one time, but my brother looked through the scope and wouldn’t fall for it…lol.
Saved a mangy coyote once and staged it so it would freeze in a natural position. Had a lot of fun with that, couldn't believe how bad some of the misses were🤣

Never ran into one , but ive always wanted to crimp a trapping earth anchor around a shed antler and anchor that SOB 4 foot deep and see how many people make the mad dash from the road to try to rip that baby free lol
I've seen some YouTube videos of guys doing this exact thing. Hilarious. Surprising how many people drove right by and never saw it.

Done the same thing with frozen coyotes and stand them up out in the field lol

Back