Yeti GOBOX Collection

Cast and Blast Weekend

Buschy

Well the casting part of the weekend went well, but the turkeys didn't want to cooperate.

I was fishing for pike NE of Bismarck in a lake that traditionally treats me very well. I found an area with runoff coming into the lake and found quite a few pike waiting to spawn. They weren't interested in smelt on the bottom, but a jig and twister tail was enough to induce a few bites. The fish were full of eggs and weighed between five and eight pounds.

Enjoying the sun and scenery.

IMG_0059.jpg
IMG_0060.jpg

Pike in the shallows.

IMG_0067.jpg
IMG_0070.jpg
IMG_0072.jpg

Time to pull out the fillet knife.

IMG_0078.jpg

Turkeys were scarce, but the deer were curious about the decoy.

IMG_0087.jpg
IMG_0089.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0074.jpg
    IMG_0074.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 179
Very nice. Thanks for the pics! Good stuff.
I gave it a shot a week or so ago without success. Guess that is why they call it fishing rather than catching... LOL!

Give some more tips into the pike hit... :D One can never learn enough.

Great pics Buschy. Do you pickle the pike? We are going to try our hand at turkeys in two weeks out west with the hopes of some luck as my daughter is coming with for her first true hunt.

Snot Rockets of that size are quite good in the skillet. Turkeys will pay next weekend, I am sure.

Sykes,

I am no threat to the fish population of any lake. I usually wait until the ice comes off and the fish have spawned, then throw a smelt or herring on bottow of the lake. It usually doesn' take long before the fish find it. It's lazy man's fishing and I love it. No boat to operate, just relax in the sun and watch the rods.

Muley1,

I love pike fishing and learned years ago to fillet them using the "boneless" method. Mine are only about 80-90% boneless though.

Looks like a great outing Buschy. I would LOVE to find a northern lake around here and introduce my kids to those toothy fighters. I grew up fishing for them on the Jim River around Arrowwood Refuge back in the day and there is nothing I have found more fun to catch.

But before I can do that we need to give the turkeys a try this weekend. Danged family obligations are seriously cutting down on my hunting opportunities but did manage to catch a few walleyes last Sunday afternoon while the inlaws were visiting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back