Caribou Gear Tarp

Cast and Blast Recap... But What's Next?

JTHOMP

My girl friend and I made short weekend trip to north Louisiana to an area I plan to hunt early season (October). I put out some cameras there a month ago, and wanted to scout more and pull them before hunting season so they wouldn't get stolen. As much as a pain as it is to get back there, one was stolen. Likely accessed from private adjacent property. I'm not as mad about the camera being stolen as I am not having those photos because that spot has good buck sign....and I'm not the only one that knows it.

Ashley wasn't interested in scouting with me, but we planned to camp near a lake so she could fish. She had a kayak for the lake and I had my pirogue to drag through the woods to access my go to spot. I also took advantage on the current dove season to bring my shogun and try to thin out the pigs. I've written about this style of pig hunting before but for anyone new reading, on public land in Louisiana you can kill pigs incidental to whatever season is in progress as long as you use whatever weapon/load is legal for that season. Killing pigs with small game loads isn't ideal, but doable.

Within the first 400yds of walking through the woods I found a group of 4 pigs feeding and moving in the opposite direction of me. Probably 70 yards away. As dry as it has been I figured a direct stalk to get close enough while catching up to them would be difficult. For the first time ever I pulled out one of those little chalk bottles and checked the wind. The draft in the woods was barely noticeable, but that little bottle made checking the wind dummy proof, and will be a tool I'll regularly carry with me. Based on the wind, I made a semi circle to try to head the pigs off. The plan worked perfectly. At first I thought I missed them, then there the were. Closest and biggest pig was a sow about 15 yards. Waited until she turned her head broad side and took the shot. Neither her or the others offered a follow up shot. She was unrecovered.

The direction they ran was the same way I was going so I kept going while looking for sign of the one I shot. Only a few hundred yards later more pigs. They were to my right running through the woods. The woods have a closed canopy, open understory, and a lot of grass. I don't know if it was 10 pigs or 20. All I know is I looked to my right, through gaps in the trees and saw pig after pig after pig. No use in chasing after them at that distance. Just stood there wondering when the last one would move through. After the last pig, I continued my course. And again within a couple hundred yards more pigs. Two medium size sows walking in my direction. I didn't have to move. Just stood there and let them come to me. The first one was a 10yds and nervously stopped, but a small tree was blocking a good shot. Finally she took a step out and the shot dropped her. It took a few shots and some running to get the other but I was able to kill both. Both pigs were quartered and placed in game bags. I still hadn't made it to my first camera, so I place the bags in the shade of a fallen tree. It was a mile round trip to get the cameras and back to the meat. Another half mile out with meat to the pirogue by which point in time I decided to give up beer for the rest of hunting season. Was able to get meat on ice within a timely manner then checked on Ashley. She had enjoyed her evening. Caught a few bream and a nice bass on a small beetle spin. Supper that night was backstraps and tenderloins with a bottle of blackberry wine. I said I'd give up beer not alcohol.

The next day. I scouted an new area. Not a lot of sign, but bumped a big bodied deer and found last year rubs in the same area. It was in a cane thicket a the top of a tall ridge. Haven't figured out how to hunt it yet, but it should be a good buck there. Ashley came down with a stomach bug so we left early. I checked the pictures on my camera last night before bed and I'm very discouraged from the images. Couple coyotes, a turkey, few does and a couple fawns, but mostly pigs, pigs, and pigs. The discouraging part was seeing the rib bones on the does. Granted it is very dry and until the acorns drop, quality food is scarce. The pigs that I killed had dropped weight as well. Around the house where we have trapped almost every weekend for the past 2 months, we have noticed the fat content decreasing. But when the acorns drop, how many will be left for the deer and other animals before the pigs suck them up?

I'm torn between the desire to kill a deer, and the need to kill pigs. Sounds bad, but I'm tired of killing and cleaning pigs. Almost every weekend we trap pigs at the house and of the 30 I've cleaned most of them. It has become work. Add 2 more for Saturday, and there is a lot more that needs to be killed in those woods. The idea of killing a pig and leaving meat in the woods is bothersome. I've even packed out a pig that someone else shot and left. But this area is very difficult to access from public. It's a lot of time and work to go kill a couple pigs and get them on ice. As much as I don't like it, I'm really tossing the idea of killing them and leaving them so I can go kill more. I can't not kill it if given the opportunity. Or I could avoid the area and look for deer elsewhere.

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0480.JPEG

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

Great write up! Looks like a great time. I understand your concern, we have a lot of hogs where I do most of my hunting. I know folks that do shoot them and don't utilize them and its legal, but I have never been able to do that. This means a lot of hogs get a pass from me when I'm hunting something else such as deer or turkey. I know the population needs to be reduced but its hard for me to shoot something and not use it. What about your pirogue? Do you think its better than a kayak? I've got a 16 ft canoe I use regularly but I want something smaller and easier to handle for solo trips. There appears to be lots of stable kayaks around but I like the open hull of your boat, easier to get gear in and out of looks like.

Looks like a good time, too bad about the stomach bug cutting it short.

The hog rules on public land in many southeastern states frustrate me. You've got populations out of control, and people that want to go in and kill them, but you restrict them to certain times of the year and require them to use dove loads out of a shotgun.

Great write up! Looks like a great time. I understand your concern, we have a lot of hogs where I do most of my hunting. I know folks that do shoot them and don't utilize them and its legal, but I have never been able to do that. This means a lot of hogs get a pass from me when I'm hunting something else such as deer or turkey. I know the population needs to be reduced but its hard for me to shoot something and not use it. What about your pirogue? Do you think its better than a kayak? I've got a 16 ft canoe I use regularly but I want something smaller and easier to handle for solo trips. There appears to be lots of stable kayaks around but I like the open hull of your boat, easier to get gear in and out of looks like.

I can't say it's better as I have never been in a kayak. It's definitely not has sturdy when paddling. I do feel it is more solid built than kayaks so I'm less concerned about dragging it over logs and cypress knees to get to certain areas. Also if I'm going in by boat then paddling to an area, it is less cumbersome to throw it in the boat than most kayaks. The only times I've cursed my pirogue is when trying to get out of it along a steep bank, or when I put in from a bank and the side lip of it catches a cypress knee that is just barely underwater and I'm left hung up on it while trying to get off it while balancing. Not fun.

Looks like a good time, too bad about the stomach bug cutting it short.

The hog rules on public land in many southeastern states frustrate me. You've got populations out of control, and people that want to go in and kill them, but you restrict them to certain times of the year and require them to use dove loads out of a shotgun.

I agree they are frustrating, but I also see merit to the rules. And just recently while talking to a co worker this morning made myself understand why there is even a recreational season, limit, and carcass requirement for nutria.

Nutria example: Sept 1- Feb 29 limit 5 per day for an invasive specie that also has a federally and state funded bounty if someone enrolls in the Coast Wide Nutria Program (CNCP)
I love eating them and kill them largely for that reason. But wouldn't want people chasing them year round disturbing rookeries and other sensitive areas.

Same thing with pigs. If someone hates them or loves them enough to take advantage of the small game seasons and hunt them, then they will. Myself and many others do this. Allowing everyone that wants to use a rifle will greatly increase pressure on the landscape. I think the risk vs reward if allowing open season on pigs on public land isn't worth it. To refer back to nutria...within the CNCP 90% of the nutria are killed by 10% of the hunters. I think if you had more relax laws on pigs on public land you would have 1) Dramatic long term increase in pressure on many public tracks 2) More pigs killed but not a significant number killed because most of the pigs killed would be done so by people already doing so. Private land in Louisiana you can shoot them day or night year round with any weapon, yet the population keeps increasing and expanding. I don't see less restricted rules on public land significantly lowering the population. This is just my speculative opinion so take it for what it's worth.

Yesterday evening I went to a small WMA by the house. I brought my .17HMR since it is nutria season. Bow only for deer, but sat on a pipeline to see where and when deer were moving. Watched a doe and fawn feed for about 10 minutes. Then heard the pig grunts approaching the pipeline from the east about 50 yards from me. About a 120lbs boar. One shot to drop it, and another a point blank to finish it. I made the decision to take the heart and leave the rest. At that point it felt more like killing a domestic animal than hunting. Living on a farm it's a necessity whether it is for meat, nuisance, or well being but I have never cared to do it. I justify it by now at least there is more food for that doe and her fawn. Still don't feel good about the kill. But with full freezers, two pigs in the fridge, and hard to find people to take it, I don't know of a better option.

Last edited:
I can't say it's better as I have never been in a kayak. It's definitely not has sturdy when paddling. I do feel it is more solid built than kayaks so I'm less concerned about dragging it over logs and cypress knees to get to certain areas. Also if I'm going in by boat then paddling to an area, it is less cumbersome to throw it in the boat than most kayaks. The only times I've cursed my pirogue is when trying to get out of it along a steep bank, or when I put in from a bank and the side lip of it catches a cypress knee that is just barely underwater and I'm left hung up on it while trying to get off it while balancing. Not fun.

I agree they are frustrating, but I also see merit to the rules. And just recently while talking to a co worker this morning made myself understand why there is even a recreational season, limit, and carcass requirement for nutria.

Nutria example: Sept 1- Feb 29 limit 5 per day for an invasive specie that also has a federally and state funded bounty if someone enrolls in the Coast Wide Nutria Program (CNCP)
I love eating them and kill them largely for that reason. But wouldn't want people chasing them year round disturbing rookeries and other sensitive areas.

Same thing with pigs. If someone hates them or loves them enough to take advantage of the small game seasons and hunt them, then they will. Myself and many others do this. Allowing everyone that wants to use a rifle will greatly increase pressure on the landscape. I think the risk vs reward if allowing open season on pigs on public land isn't worth it. To refer back to nutria...within the CNCP 90% of the nutria are killed by 10% of the hunters. I think if you had more relax laws on pigs on public land you would have 1) Dramatic long term increase in pressure on many public tracks 2) More pigs killed but not a significant number killed because most of the pigs killed would be done so by people already doing so. Private land in Louisiana you can shoot them day or night year round with any weapon, yet the population keeps increasing and expanding. I don't see less restricted rules on public land significantly lowering the population. This is just my speculative opinion so take it for what it's worth.

Yesterday evening I went to a small WMA by the house. I brought my .17HMR since it is nutria season. Bow only for deer, but sat on a pipeline to see where and when deer were moving. Watched a doe and fawn feed for about 10 minutes. Then heard the pig grunts approaching the pipeline from the east about 50 yards from me. About a 120lbs boar. One shot to drop it, and another a point blank to finish it. I made the decision to take the heart and leave the rest. At that point it felt more like killing a domestic animal than hunting. Living on a farm it's a necessity whether it is for meat, nuisance, or well being but I have never cared to do it. I justify it by now at least there is more food for that doe and her fawn. Still don't feel good about the kill. But with full freezers, two pigs in the fridge, and hard to find people to take it, I don't know of a better option.
I understand your point and see the validity. I guess I would just point to National Forests in those same areas, where it usually is a year-round rifle free for all on hogs. The times I've hunted both the WMAs and the National Forests in Alabama, there really weren't a lot of other guys out after them.

Regardless, I do love hog hunting.. Good luck with the rest of your season!

I understand your point and see the validity. I guess I would just point to National Forests in those same areas, where it usually is a year-round rifle free for all on hogs. The times I've hunted both the WMAs and the National Forests in Alabama, there really weren't a lot of other guys out after them.

Regardless, I do love hog hunting.. Good luck with the rest of your season!

Can't lie it is a fun hunt which is both good and bad. If you ever want to kill some in Louisiana it can be easily done with the purchase of a $100 NR season long small game license or $30/day small game day pass. With as dry as it has been, now is prime time to pattern them.

Reactions: LCH
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back