Camera action while being outdoors enjoying the fresh air and adventure. Feel free to add yours too.

I am not an entomologist. If there is anybody out there that wants to add some educational color to these photos please do so. Butterflies, bees, and flies, is as deep as I can take us. Wildlife with no red meat! but are beneficial as pollinators to help sustain the plants needed for our hunted game.
View attachment 142527
View attachment 142528
View attachment 142529
View attachment 142530
View attachment 142532
View attachment 142534
View attachment 142535
View attachment 142536
Photos 2-5 have a lot of great color in them. Unfortunate that the plants being pollinated is a noxious weed(leafy spurge).

Thank you, I had know idea what that plant is and the impact it can have. Your reply is very educational for those that look up what leafy spurge is.

Thank you, I had know idea what that plant is and the impact it can have. Your reply is very educational for those that look up what leafy spurge is.
Multiple different apps out there you can get that require taking photos of plants in the field that help identify them.

Looks like orange hawks beard. Never seen it in person, but it’s a noxious weed in many places. I believe it was introduced as an ornamental.
Thanks for the help on identification. With what I have run into for plant life the past ten days (poison ivy, leafy spurge, and now hawks beard), I could be considered a hazard.

A fair number of times the noxious weeds tend to be the ones people will look at and say those are pretty. Not saying all noxious weeds are the more vibrant looking plants, but chances are higher.

Cottontail Rabbit out in 90 degrees F heat. Hot and humid for the last 11 days here in the UP. Not typical weather at all for us. We usually have hot weather for a streak of 2-3 days then the wind switches and comes off of Lake Superior for a cool down.
DSC_2172_303.JPG

Vasodilation (enlarged blood vessels) for body cooling is quite visible in the rabbits ears.
DSC_2170_304.JPG

I know this one as orange hawkweed (Hieracium aurantiacum) and certainly the same plant mentioned by Hunting Wife. As she said, it's not native to NA.

It's amazing to see how much is out there now that I know it is not a native species.

@huronmtns despite the eastern bluebird being the state bird of Missouri, I hadn't seen many here until I walked some trails that had bluebird nesting boxes put in by MDC about every 100 yards. If you want to attract some I can send you a picture of the nesting boxes. Beautiful birds, love their singing.

@huronmtns despite the eastern bluebird being the state bird of Missouri, I hadn't seen many here until I walked some trails that had bluebird nesting boxes put in by MDC about every 100 yards. If you want to attract some I can send you a picture of the nesting boxes. Beautiful birds, love their singing.
If you would like, please post the nesting boxes pictures on this thread. There may be others interested on attracting and increasing their numbers too.

If you would like, please post the nesting boxes pictures on this thread. There may be others interested on attracting and increasing their numbers too.

Best light for photos was the box closest to the beginning of the trail. Hand and wrist for scale, 9 1/2" from where my wrist is touching to the tip of my middle finger. The wire guard extends out about another inch, height to the top of the pole ranged from 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 feet for all of them. The hinged section is a pretty good idea for cleaning them out. Most had those predator baffles on the pole, and spaced at least 10 feet from tree branches and hardy brush.

Saw a few indigo buntings yesterday as well, they've done a good job attracting birds and other wildlife.

1.jpg2.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Is there a preferred material to use inside the house to initiate nesting?
I know wood ducks liked wood shavings in their nesting boxes.

Not that I found from a quick glance at the Missouri Bluebird Society and Audubon websites, but the Audubon site did say for loose base material the females often lay down strips of bark, pine needles and dry grasses. The Audubon site gets pretty detailed about the birds themselves and their habits, and has plans for a Peterson box. https://www.audubon.org/news/how-build-bluebird-nest-box

Back