Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Calling all coffee snobs...

Well this was the thread that actually got me to register. As a genuine coffee guy whose complete coffee system costs more than his truck - I've got a system. I've tried instant, packing a grinder for French press, tea, and others but so far this is my favorite approach.
First, pull some fresh espresso shots, I do around 3/day. If you don't have a good espresso machine you can pick up shots at your favorite coffee shop. Next, if you want sweeteners, add them to the espresso. I skip this but to each his own. Finally, cool it down and put a daily batch of espresso into a single serve squeeze pouch. The squeeze pouches are available for doing things like making your own baby food, apple sauce etc.
When youre ready for coffee, pour it into a cup, hit it with hot water, instant Americano. You can add creamer if you like.

Well this was the thread that actually got me to register. As a genuine coffee guy whose complete coffee system costs more than his truck - I've got a system. I've tried instant, packing a grinder for French press, tea, and others but so far this is my favorite approach.
First, pull some fresh espresso shots, I do around 3/day. If you don't have a good espresso machine you can pick up shots at your favorite coffee shop. Next, if you want sweeteners, add them to the espresso. I skip this but to each his own. Finally, cool it down and put a daily batch of espresso into a single serve squeeze pouch. The squeeze pouches are available for doing things like making your own baby food, apple sauce etc.
When youre ready for coffee, pour it into a cup, hit it with hot water, instant Americano. You can add creamer if you like.
Best first post ever??

Any of those squeeze pouches reusable? This is a brilliant solution, but I feel my wife won't want to adopt it based on the waste. Also, yes, I agree with Cheesehead; that may be the best first post I have seen.

I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion, but I don't drink coffee in the mountains. I take 100mg caffeine capsules instead, being a caffeine addict, because I need it or I'll get splitting headaches. (I can quit anytime I want to!)

I steer away from coffee because it's a diuretic and it's already easy enough to get yourself dehydrated hiking up hill.

I hate instant and bring with a pour-over and filter. If I'm not backpacking far I'll even throw in my Stanley insulated french press. My wife and I even have our own backpack-able coffee grinder. I realize that's the real snob way to do things, but I just can't abide any instant that I've tried when I'm hunting. It's the one thing that I choose not to be uncomfortable with.

The past couple years I have used small pour over coffee filters from Coughlan's camping brand which hang on a stick on your cup. I then have a baggy of fresh ground coffee grounds. Its awesome to have fresh pour over coffee anywhere in the woods. You do need two cups one to heat water one to pour over into. I am giving the BRCC instant a try this year they are really good and it reduces a cup i need to carry. Will see after the first few days if I add the cup back or continue.

I carry a protein shaker bottle and I mix a shake and Via before leaving camp to drink when I’m stationary.

I’m a tea guy in my everyday life but I’ve heard so many people talking about those vias that i splurged and picked up a pack at the store today to throw in my backpack.

What a warm welcome, thanks folks it's been a heck of a year and it's awful nice to talk hunting, coffee, and things that are pleasant for a while.

Any of those squeeze pouches reusable? This is a brilliant solution, but I feel my wife won't want to adopt it based on the waste. Also, yes, I agree with Cheesehead; that may be the best first post I have seen.

There are reusable squeeze pouches but they use a Ziploc style closure and sometimes they leak. If you're worried about waste you can always just put the espresso concentrate in a water bottle or flask, it just becomes a question of getting the dosing right in a pre-coffee state. You usually won't under dose, but if you aren't careful it gets mighty difficult to hold the crosshairs steady. Last year my hunting partner complained he was seeing the future..😂

I’m not a huge coffee drinker but I like the kuju.
Randy also talked about elk horn coffee roasters on elk talk live and they have a promo code “Randy” and it will save you 15% on all order $35 or more. But they don’t have pour overs or anything so would be good for guys using a French press.

I’ve used both Black Powder Sticks and the tea bag style from BRCC. Both are good. I stick to the instant because of price.

As far as availability, how hard is it to place an order on your home and wait three days for a delivery?

The past couple years I have used small pour over coffee filters from Coughlan's camping brand which hang on a stick on your cup. I then have a baggy of fresh ground coffee grounds. Its awesome to have fresh pour over coffee anywhere in the woods. You do need two cups one to heat water one to pour over into. I am giving the BRCC instant a try this year they are really good and it reduces a cup i need to carry. Will see after the first few days if I add the cup back or continue.

Never heard of the pour over filters, just found some and gonna give this a shot!

Big fan of Starbucks Via, as close as you can get to brewed in an Instant form.

Tried the pour-over type that you balance on your cup a couple weeks ago while camping.........meh. Takes some practice to get the technique right for it to taste good, kind of a pain in the ass in my opinion for backcountry coffee.

For car camping I prefer a French Press, actually this is my favorite coffee altogether.

I just received a shipment of Via and BRCC instant. And I can say that the BRCC instant is much better than Starbucks Via. The Via has a chemical aftertaste in my opinion.

Point of clarification, I think this got lost.

I like a decent amount of milk and sugar in my coffee, probably would be making myself a vanilla latte every morning if I had my druthers.

So the question, does anyone make a better instant vanilla latte than Via, the BRCC isn’t really comparable as it’s apples to oranges.

(Also before the latte wisecrack, I started drinking coffee a couple of years ago after my wife dropped the hammer on 40 redbull a month habit, so let’s just call it process)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back