Calling all coffee snobs...

jlong17

What is the best instant coffee?
I'm going to leave the beans, hand grinder, and aeropress in the truck this year. I consume 2 cups daily, especially when in the backcountry. I'm wondering what you folks do to get your fix?

Gonna say it you can disagree all you want Starbucks Via.

At home I like a medium roast, hot frothed milk, and a table spoon of honey in my coffee... Via is the closet for the least amount of hassle I’ve found, and I’ve tried a bunch.

That sounds delicious. I'll have to grab some and try it... of course i'll have to conceal the brand by pouring the contents into a ziplock hahah!

So far Im down to the coffee in tea bags by folgers. I tried several freeze dried coffees and they were disgusting. Not saying folgers is the height of good coffee but for packing in it was pretty good.
Folgers instant coffee and some Levi gets things moving for me in the morning
I find all of the instant coffees taste terrible in their own unique way. Of the terrible instant coffees I like the cheap tasters choice version the best. Why pay $6 for Star Bucks Vias when I can pay $.99 for the same disappointment.

Ya I hear you guys. A few years ago I would make a breakfast coffee/shake when on the trail. I used Folgers instant coffee, and mixed in a packet of Carnation breakfast essentials. It was actually half way decent. It was an all-in-one drink. It'd wake me up, fill me up, and empty me out all in a timely fashion haha!

I find all of the instant coffees taste terrible in their own unique way. Of the terrible instant coffees I like the cheap tasters choice version the best. Why pay $6 for Star Bucks Vias when I can pay $.99 for the same disappointment.

I’m probably just doing caffeine pills at that point.

Which honestly I often do when hunting... just less to deal with in the morning + no headache.

Especially for colder rifle hunts I really like bringing tea with no caffeine or maybe some hot chocolate mix. Something I can make in the evening while glassing. Then just caffeine pills in the morning with a breakfast bar.

BRCC just came out with instant and the coffee version of a tea bag. I’m gonna try out the instant and will report back.

Edit: mulvadi instant Kona coffee is decent. Took that last year

I literally just saw that on their website! I have a box in my cart... but i"m being stingy about pulling the trigger on $25 worth of instant coffee haha

Check out these guys good coffee in single serve bag or pourover and certified conservation supporters.

Not instant, but a Dripkit from Stumptown Coffee Roasters is approximately 250,000 times better than any instant I've ever tried. It is a single use cardboard frame with a filter and ground coffee included for pour over. It doesn't take me much more time to make this than instant.

The best instant coffee out there is Verve by far. I'd dare say it is better than many whole bean/fresh ground coffees. The downside for hunting is that it isn't cheap and the packaging is large. This is why I run Via for hunting, I don't think it can be beat in terms of price, taste, and lightweight packaging.

Check out these guys good coffee in single serve bag or pourover and certified conservation supporters.

I'll second this, love the single serve bags, good stuff!

Gonna say it you can disagree all you want Starbucks Via.

At home I like a medium roast, hot frothed milk, and a table spoon of honey in my coffee... Via is the closet for the least amount of hassle I’ve found, and I’ve tried a bunch.
This. If you’ve only tried the cheap instant coffee at least give the Starbucks Via a try. I know it’s expensive But it’s made different. I worked for Starbucks in college during the roll out of Via and they taught us how it’s made differently then other brands and made us do multiple blind taste tests with the Folgers and Tasters Choice. The cheap ones are freeze dried, but the Via is brewed coffee that is spun in a machine that pulls all the water out with centripetal force. It makes the taste substantially better.

Back