PEAX Equipment

Calling all coffee snobs...

Any of those squeeze pouches reusable? This is a brilliant solution, but I feel my wife won't want to adopt it based on the waste. Also, yes, I agree with Cheesehead; that may be the best first post I have seen.
Oh yeah, you can get reusable ones. We have a set for the little ones. Dishwasher safe and all. Only thing is don't let anything dry out in them or you'll never get it out. Maybe not a problem with coffee but we lost a couple because we didn't rinse em out right away after the kid slurped it.

A lot of people said they liked it, they are way delayed on shipping right now. My order is shipping today. I believe I placed the order on the 28th.
I wonder if this thread has anything to do with an increase in instant coffee sales for BRCC. I ordered their instants, I will say in a taste test I would consider it to be better then Starbucks Via but not by a longshot or anything like that. I'll mix one up now and see if my mind changes at all.

I wonder if this thread has anything to do with an increase in instant coffee sales for BRCC. I ordered their instants, I will say in a taste test I would consider it to be better then Starbucks Via but not by a longshot or anything like that. I'll mix one up now and see if my mind changes at all.
Nice. I know Via has been 'the standard' in the past. I was going to just bring a small french press for my JetBoil but I don't like the cleanup and water 'waste' from that. So was looking for something and saw the BRCC add on youtube while watching some backpacking tip videos.

Black Rifle Coffee Company.
blackriflecoffee.com

Grinds Coffee Pouches
getgrinds.com

Not coffee but I just grabbed this at Costco to see if it was any good. Tried it out this afternoon - not brilliant for 90 degree weather but I think it would be just the thing after a long cold day.

15993363346572317617036949882036.jpg

I am a coffee snob and I have to say that Starbucks is the best option for me. It’s a bit pricey but tastes good and is compact. The packaging is convenient

Not coffee but I just grabbed this at Costco to see if it was any good. Tried it out this afternoon - not brilliant for 90 degree weather but I think it would be just the thing after a long cold day.

View attachment 153036
I tried these as well on our last outing. It was great having something tasty and warm other than coffee to drink.

Starbucks Via. Heck I drink it home sometimes in a hurry out the door and don’t want to brew a pot

I drank the Black Rifle Coffee Co Instant Coffee for 12 days and it wasn't bad. I don't normally drink my coffee black so I was a little glad to have the small handful of diner coffee creamers I grabbed but it was very doable. My wife is more of a coffee connoisseur and she said she thought it was as good as the Via - but she tried it at home not in the field. Just my experience.

I just realized that I forgot to leave a review of the different coffee options I tried while hunting this last fall. So here it goes...
I hunted roughly 30 days this fall, and wanted to taste test as many of the options you guys recommended as possible. I was able to sample 10 different brands/styles and the results are as follows:
INSTANT COFFEE
Black Rifle Instant Coffee Packs: My favorite instant option. Not sure if it's because of the brand, and knowing that I'm supporting a great company, but I really enjoyed it. I double the dose each morning (pour two bags in hot water), and it seemed to make it taste just right and achieve the desired affect. Additionally, during warm afternoons I mixed in a bag with ice cold creek water and it mixed well for an iced coffee. 2 thumbs up for BRCC.
Starbucks VIA Instant Coffee: My #2 pick. It was a toss up between this option and the BRCC option, but I think most of us on here (including myself) would rather give their money to anyone other than Starbucks. As much as I despise this company, they make a great instant coffee that was equally convenient as it was delicious.
Dark Timber Vapor Packs: I sampled the Mount Baker Mocha Vapor Pack, and it was really good. If you are the type that enjoys a sweet coffee over black, than this would be your go to. To be honest it tasted more like hot cocoa, but still achieved the desired affects (energy and GI movement). This is another great company that supports outdoor conservation.
Verve Instant Espresso: These tasted great, but the cost is all I could think about while drinking it. A 6 pack cost $15, making it a pretty pricey back country coffee. The flavor was smooth, and it did not leave behind that classic instant coffee film in your mouth. If these were cheaper they would be a contender for the top spot on my list.
Cafe Bustelo Instant: This was not a terrible option, but not the best either. The powder mixed well and had a good, strong flavor. I actually preferred it iced on warm afternoons. I think the best feature is that you can use the bright yellow can to zero in your rifle.
Medaglia Doro: I was pretty surprised with this one. I forget who mentioned it on this thread, but I had never heard of it before. I was so used to doubling the dose of the other brands that the first time I made this it was way too strong. Just follow the recommended serving size for a tasty and strong cup of instant coffee.
Folgers Instant Coffee: I tried out the instant coffee bags, and it wasn't the best part of waking up for me. It left a nasty flavor in my mouth. Maybe I let it steep for too long in my hot water, but I wasn't willing to give it another shot.
Tasters Choice Instant Coffee: I have a negative bias against this one. When I am out working on wildland fires we are given sack lunches to eat over the course of a 24 hour work period... and in that "sack nasty" we are given tasters choice packets of coffee. Maybe I'm just too much of a coffee snob, but these things are impossible to drink by themselves. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I used to add a packet of Carnation Breakfast Essentials. However, that was before I became picky over my coffee.
OTHER OPTIONS
Pre-made espresso shots:
This was at the recommendation of another member on here, and it was solid advice! On a few of my hunts I would get some espresso shots made before leaving the house. I then poured those shots into a small, reusable liquid pouch (check out amazon and get the kit that has the funnel included). When afternoon coffee time came around, I boiled up some water and poured the espresso into my cup... perfect americana. This isn't an instant coffee that you can take into an extended hunt, but it is perfect for 1 or 2 days. Plus, you have the luxury of bringing high quality espresso on the hunt.
Beans, Grinder, Pour-over: This is by far my favorite of all the options. I only use this method when I'm not too concerned about weight... which is rare. I own a Hario V2 and an old hand grinder. Before you go hating on me, think about the reasons you love bowhunting... and some of those reasons are why I like having my backcountry coffee in this fashion.

In closing, my love of coffee has grown in these last few months. I purchased a roaster and upgraded my home espresso and brewing set up. If there are any of you HT'ers that would like to try some of my roasts, feel free to reach out. Thanks for reading!

**Full disclosure: The only morning I didn't drink coffee while hunting was the morning I shot my biggest buck. I spotted him the night before, and with limited supplies (no coffee) I camped on the side of the mountain only a few hundred yards away. So, maybe I need to stop screwing around with coffee while I am hunting??

I just realized that I forgot to leave a review of the different coffee options I tried while hunting this last fall. So here it goes...
I hunted roughly 30 days this fall, and wanted to taste test as many of the options you guys recommended as possible. I was able to sample 10 different brands/styles and the results are as follows:
INSTANT COFFEE
Black Rifle Instant Coffee Packs: My favorite instant option. Not sure if it's because of the brand, and knowing that I'm supporting a great company, but I really enjoyed it. I double the dose each morning (pour two bags in hot water), and it seemed to make it taste just right and achieve the desired affect. Additionally, during warm afternoons I mixed in a bag with ice cold creek water and it mixed well for an iced coffee. 2 thumbs up for BRCC.
Starbucks VIA Instant Coffee: My #2 pick. It was a toss up between this option and the BRCC option, but I think most of us on here (including myself) would rather give their money to anyone other than Starbucks. As much as I despise this company, they make a great instant coffee that was equally convenient as it was delicious.
Dark Timber Vapor Packs: I sampled the Mount Baker Mocha Vapor Pack, and it was really good. If you are the type that enjoys a sweet coffee over black, than this would be your go to. To be honest it tasted more like hot cocoa, but still achieved the desired affects (energy and GI movement). This is another great company that supports outdoor conservation.
Verve Instant Espresso: These tasted great, but the cost is all I could think about while drinking it. A 6 pack cost $15, making it a pretty pricey back country coffee. The flavor was smooth, and it did not leave behind that classic instant coffee film in your mouth. If these were cheaper they would be a contender for the top spot on my list.
Cafe Bustelo Instant: This was not a terrible option, but not the best either. The powder mixed well and had a good, strong flavor. I actually preferred it iced on warm afternoons. I think the best feature is that you can use the bright yellow can to zero in your rifle.
Medaglia Doro: I was pretty surprised with this one. I forget who mentioned it on this thread, but I had never heard of it before. I was so used to doubling the dose of the other brands that the first time I made this it was way too strong. Just follow the recommended serving size for a tasty and strong cup of instant coffee.
Folgers Instant Coffee: I tried out the instant coffee bags, and it wasn't the best part of waking up for me. It left a nasty flavor in my mouth. Maybe I let it steep for too long in my hot water, but I wasn't willing to give it another shot.
Tasters Choice Instant Coffee: I have a negative bias against this one. When I am out working on wildland fires we are given sack lunches to eat over the course of a 24 hour work period... and in that "sack nasty" we are given tasters choice packets of coffee. Maybe I'm just too much of a coffee snob, but these things are impossible to drink by themselves. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I used to add a packet of Carnation Breakfast Essentials. However, that was before I became picky over my coffee.
OTHER OPTIONS
Pre-made espresso shots:
This was at the recommendation of another member on here, and it was solid advice! On a few of my hunts I would get some espresso shots made before leaving the house. I then poured those shots into a small, reusable liquid pouch (check out amazon and get the kit that has the funnel included). When afternoon coffee time came around, I boiled up some water and poured the espresso into my cup... perfect americana. This isn't an instant coffee that you can take into an extended hunt, but it is perfect for 1 or 2 days. Plus, you have the luxury of bringing high quality espresso on the hunt.
Beans, Grinder, Pour-over: This is by far my favorite of all the options. I only use this method when I'm not too concerned about weight... which is rare. I own a Hario V2 and an old hand grinder. Before you go hating on me, think about the reasons you love bowhunting... and some of those reasons are why I like having my backcountry coffee in this fashion.

In closing, my love of coffee has grown in these last few months. I purchased a roaster and upgraded my home espresso and brewing set up. If there are any of you HT'ers that would like to try some of my roasts, feel free to reach out. Thanks for reading!

**Full disclosure: The only morning I didn't drink coffee while hunting was the morning I shot my biggest buck. I spotted him the night before, and with limited supplies (no coffee) I camped on the side of the mountain only a few hundred yards away. So, maybe I need to stop screwing around with coffee while I am hunting??
Great write up!
-VIA fan but ready to mingle

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back