Caribou Gear

California Buck Down

Lyfter1013

Left town Friday morning for the weekend
Hunt and had camp set up around 2. Decided to go out for a quick evening hunt to check things out.

My Girlfriend and I hiked up to the first spot I like to glass and only seen one lone doe. After a few more minutes I ask her if she’s up to head a little further in and see if we see anything in the deep canyon I like to glass. And she says ok. (Keep in mind This is the first time she’s ever been hunting in her life and first time in this kind of terrain)

We hike another 3/4 of a mile to my other glassing spot and as I’m trying to get us set up against a rock wall out of site she says there’s 3 Right there. As she says this All 3 deer take off and the only one I see is a decent buck I get on him shoot and down he goes about 325 yards away. But starts kicking his front legs and gets into a thick tree line out of site.

As I start looking at our options to get down to the deer I realize we have 2 options drop off a steep rock face and crawl our way down into this canyon or hike about a mile and a half around to the opposite side and try to pick our way down that side which would be dark by the time we get there. We went with option 1.

It took us about 40 mins to pick our way down and when we get there no blood in the area. I start moving through the trees he went through and can hear him but not see him. Finally I find where he’s trying to move with just his front legs and put him down for good.

We got him quartered out well after dark and attempted the pack out. I made it about 100 yards up the side of the canyon with all 4 quarters and decided to put 3 in a tree and just take 1 quarter and back straps and trim out. Made it another 100 yards and didn’t feel safe doing it at night. So stashed the last of the meat in another tree. It was too steep and dark and I didn’t feel it was safe for us. We ended up back at the truck a little after 11pm and drove back to camp.

The next morning we slept until about 8am and took our time Around camp and got back to trailhead at 11. We got back to the quartered out deer and spent the afternoon taking our time and packing the deer out. After we got him out of the steep canyon it was fairly easy pack out and took us about 4.5 hours to get back to the truck. we enjoyed the scenery together and talked and laughed about it and joked how if dragging her down there to do that didn’t scare her away nothing would.

It was a great hunt even though it was short and definitely kicked my butt and reminded me I got more to do to be in shape for elk season next month
EF72B376-45AF-40AA-9A32-0B47623CE302.jpegABECC3A9-D0EA-4745-9563-19C9B4611111.jpeg
46A23D4E-81B4-42BC-B2AD-9EA210F73F95.jpeg

Last edited:
Congratulations @Lyfter1013

In hindsight, would you have pulled the trigger again had you known about the pack out issues?

What was your girlfriend‘s assessment of your trip?

Thanks all for the replies it is some beautiful scenery I’ll go through the pics she took and see if I can find some that won’t give the location away. I know the chance is slim but my luck someone would figure it out

Congratulations @Lyfter1013

In hindsight, would you have pulled the trigger again had you known about the pack out issues?

What was your girlfriend‘s assessment of your trip?
If you asked me that Friday night at 11pm or even Saturday morning at 11am I would of said no way in hell would I pull the trigger again. Now after the pack out Saturday I definitely would pull the trigger again. I had a nights rest and was more prepared mentally to take it on. Friday I wasn’t expecting to run into a buck and it all happened quick and I wasn’t prepared. I didn’t mention we brought no food and about 20oz of water Friday evening because I thought we’d just go enjoy the evening and the scenery more than hunt so I wasn’t as mentally there as I should have been.

She was good with it she said she wanted to go again just needs actual hiking boots next time. She is a little unsure about that particular spot though which is understandable haha. She even helped with one of the quarters for a good portion of the pack. She was positive and upbeat the entire time even when we were crawling out of the canyon bent over on hands and knees trying not to slide back down. Having her made the pack out more enjoyable and when we needed a break we sat down next to each other and just enjoyed the view while we rested and joked about how we weren’t seeing anyone else because no one else was this stupid go down there.

Hunt and had camp set up around 2. Decided to go out for a quick evening hunt to check things out.

My Girlfriend and I hiked up to the first spot I like to glass and only seen one lone doe. After a few more minutes I ask her if she’s up to head a little further in and see if we see anything in the deep canyon I like to glass. And she says ok. (Keep in mind This is the first time she’s ever been hunting in her life and first time in this kind of terrain)

We hike another 3/4 of a mile to my other glassing spot and as I’m trying to get us set up against a rock wall out of site she says there’s 3 Right there. As she says this All 3 deer take off and the only one I see is a decent buck I get on him shoot and down he goes about 325 yards away. But starts kicking his front legs and gets into a thick tree line out of site.

As I start looking at our options to get down to the deer I realize we have 2 options drop off a steep rock face and crawl our way down into this canyon or hike about a mile and a half around to the opposite side and try to pick our way down that side which would be dark by the time we get there. We went with option 1.

It took us about 40 mins to pick our way down and when we get there no blood in the area. I start moving through the trees he went through and can hear him but not see him. Finally I find where he’s trying to move with just his front legs and put him down for good.

We got him quartered out well after dark and attempted the pack out. I made it about 100 yards up the side of the canyon with all 4 quarters and decided to put 3 in a tree and just take 1 quarter and back straps and trim out. Made it another 100 yards and didn’t feel safe doing it at night. So stashed the last of the meat in another tree. It was too steep and dark and I didn’t feel it was safe for us. We ended up back at the truck a little after 11pm and drove back to camp.

The next morning we slept until about 8am and took our time Around camp and got back to trailhead at 11. We got back to the quartered out deer and spent the afternoon taking our time and packing the deer out. After we got him out of the steep canyon it was fairly easy pack out and took us about 4.5 hours to get back to the truck. we enjoyed the scenery together and talked and laughed about it and joked how if dragging her down there to do that didn’t scare her away nothing would.

It was a great hunt even though it was short and definitely kicked my butt and reminded me I got more to do to be in shape for elk season next month
View attachment 195731View attachment 195730
View attachment 195738
Nice buck!

View attachment 195731View attachment 195730
View attachment 195738
New california hunter, seeing these pictures gives me hope. Congrats brother!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back