California blacktails

hunt1up

So I've had to make two business trips to north and central California in the past month. I must say that that country really changed my ignorant opinion of California. It doesn't take long to escape the crappiness of the cities and be in some pristine wilderness. Each time I drove through those northern mountains I was doing my usual animal search. I saw a fair amount of deer and some elk.

Anyway, I've been looking at the regs and a blacktail/bear DIY hunt is very feasible. It's my understanding that pressure can be an issue, but that happens anywhere. Success rates aren't spectacular but we're talking about an OTC tag.

Has anyone tried a northern CA deer/bear hunt? Seems like it could be a possible early season option.

I'm headed out for the day, but where will you be in NorCal? A-Zone and B-Zone are probably your best bets, with B-Zone being a better option if you want to add in a bear hunt. Areas to consider to get away from the pressure would be the Snow Mountain Wilderness, Yolla Bolla Wilderness and Trinity. Though there is plenty of country outside those spots too.

There are some opportunities south of the Bay Area as well, but black bear would be more limited. We have long seasons so if you are making multiple trips chances are you can hunt a couple of times. A-zone archery opens mid-july and runs for about a month, and rifle mid-august and runs to late September.

I used to hunt A-zone down SLO way. Took some great blacktails. Used to be good in the Big Sur Mtns/coastal range. Private ranches were always better. So was North coast.Sonoma up
Sierra mulies.
I do not miss the weather in A-zone!

I sure don't see the deer in numbers here in NM I used to see in CA. Not many,but some good ones .Wish I could find one when I have a tag....
The elk are everywhere,just about.

I'm headed out for the day, but where will you be in NorCal? A-Zone and B-Zone are probably your best bets, with B-Zone being a better option if you want to add in a bear hunt. Areas to consider to get away from the pressure would be the Snow Mountain Wilderness, Yolla Bolla Wilderness and Trinity. Though there is plenty of country outside those spots too.

There are some opportunities south of the Bay Area as well, but black bear would be more limited. We have long seasons so if you are making multiple trips chances are you can hunt a couple of times. A-zone archery opens mid-july and runs for about a month, and rifle mid-august and runs to late September.

I was thinking B-zone as my initial thought. I drove the 101 from Portland to SF and got a pretty good feel for what the A-zone would be like. Last week I took the backroads from Sacramento to the coast and saw plenty of country there too. I've at least got some grasp of what to expect.

If I happen to be back out there for business I'd definitely use it as an excuse to tack on a hunt. Otherwise it'll be a dedicated trip.

thanks for the replies so far.

I lived in CA for 9 years and hunted B zone blacktails for 8 seasons. You will find what you are looking for up the Swift Creek and Coffee Creek drainages in the Trinity Alps wilderness. Hunt as far back as you can, as high as you can. Don't let the weather fool you either. Iv'e had it be 95 in Redding, then snowing on us in the Trinity's on our pack in on the same day during the Mid-September opener. I do miss that country sometimes, but it doesn't even compare to Colorado...Good Luck!

A multi day, backcountry B Zone wilderness trip will get you what you're looking for. Probably your best option for a bear/buck combo would be the Yolla Bollys with the Trinities a close second. Shoot me a PM if you want any further info.
-Dave

Thanks everyone for the prompt and helpful replies. This is a hunt I plan on doing, it's just a matter of when. My next hunt or two are already tentatively in place, but this one is going on the list.

While CA definitely has it's shortcomings.......it truly is a beautiful state. I've talked to a lot of people out west, who think of CA as basically "Baywatch". I have lots of pictures, that would change minds. Good luck on your pursuit of blacktails. They sure are not easy, and it is usually hot & dry, but i bet you will have fun.

While CA definitely has it's shortcomings.......it truly is a beautiful state. I've talked to a lot of people out west, who think of CA as basically "Baywatch". I have lots of pictures, that would change minds. Good luck on your pursuit of blacktails. They sure are not easy, and it is usually hot & dry, but i bet you will have fun.

I'm from Illinois so I understand the mindset people have toward California. Everyone things IL means Chicago, when in fact the vast majority of the state is rural, hunting, back roads, and sensible people.

My thoughts are the same on the Yollo. Bolly area, I've never hunted this area ,but I have buddies who have and done extremely well. Keep in mind the closer you get to the coast I'd have a pig tag in my pocket also. Also the areas west of Willows those mtns. Have a lot of pigs also .

Good post,I'm thinking of same trip this or next year.I'm leaning a little towards Oregon though for those dark choc. horned bucks.I didn't realize there was such an early rifle season in Ca,and big wilderness.Guess I have that "Baywatch" mentality

My thoughts are the same on the Yollo. Bolly area, I've never hunted this area ,but I have buddies who have and done extremely well. Keep in mind the closer you get to the coast I'd have a pig tag in my pocket also. Also the areas west of Willows those mtns. Have a lot of pigs also .

Unless you have access to private land, you'll be hard pressed to find a huntable population of wild pigs in Northern Ca. You're better off taking that money and buying a lotto ticket. ;)

A few scenery and buck pics to give you an idea. All Trinity Alps Wilderness.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Blacktailbc, those are some great pictures. I have family in CA and have been looking at making a side trip while out there to hunt blacktail. I have been looking at the B zone and specifically trinity alps. How far do you have to get in to get away from other hunters/hikers? I have been looking at going in about 6 miles.

b zone

Be careful if you are hunting public lands in B-zone east of Laytonville. The public land hunting in national forest near the Covelo area is known for Marijuana growers. They guard those illegal grows very well, you don't want to stumble across one of those. Make sure you contact the Sheriff Department in whatever area you decide to hunt in B-zone before you plan your hunt , the MJ growers are no joke.

Blacktailbc those are some great pics and bucks. Congrats!

Jumping in this thread a little late but could not help myself. I'm an East Coast Guy that grew up hunting Whitetails in NH and MA then later on in NC. I moved to the Eastern Sierras for work last summer and tried my hand at Mule Deer/Black Tail hunting this last season and now I'm hooked. Like other guys said above, CA is not typically grouped with the traditional Western States but I would argue it ranks right up there in beauty and opportunities. The availability of species and overall size isn't the same but it is still an absolute great place to hunt.

I hunt the D3-D5 zones (OTC) right in the heart of the Sierras. It’s a pretty cool area because on the Eastern side of the zone you can catch mixed conifers with High Desert Sage brush (Mainly where I hunt) and the Western side is more large conifer forests. From what I have been told, the Mulies favor the east and you are more likely to find the Blacktails on the west. Like anywhere, I encountered fairly heavy pressure from the Jeep/4Wheeler crowd right off the roads but with some walking was able to get miles to myself.

I shot this guy on the 2nd to last weekend of the season and there was a slightly smaller buck about 10 yards behind him. I have not got any scientific verification or opinion but the taxidermist thought he might be a Muley/Blacktail hybrid.

Attachments

• Buck 25 Oct.jpg
    Buck 25 Oct.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 2,376

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back