Caribou Gear Tarp

Cabelas and corporate america

Don Taylor

I was at cabelas this past weekend with my Dad and brother and was told by the checkout girl as she rang up over 1000.00 worth of merchandise that the cabelas return policy had been drastically changed. A person can no longer return any item after 90 days. Now cabelas has never been the cheapest place to purchase anything but I overlooked that because of the return it anytime policy, so If you purchase a pair of boots 80 days prior to a hunt and they blow out on that hunt your stuck with them. Im sure they must have some reason other than good old american greed to do this but I think this company will suffer the consequences of their actions. I for one will seek products else where if im taking chances with a product I might as well do it cheaper.

I have heard of folks who are going on hunts that are "hunts of a lifetime" (or at least hunts that they do every few years or so) buy a bunch of stuff that they really never use except at these times and then return them when they come back from the hunt. No defects, no wrong sizes etc., they're just finished with them and don't need them. On one hand, I have a problem with this practice, on the other, it makes the Bargain Cave more interesting.

There is a difference between fairness and charity, a company has to draw the line somewhere to still make money. I was an assistant manager in retail for 3 years and you cannot believe the expectation of some customers. These customers like the ones mentioned above ruin it for everyone else.

My experience the last few years with products has been poor, and this last year, they have really gone down hill in terms of order fulfillment and customer service. I wish they would hire me. (Been a loyal customer for over 20 years. Their status as the #1 outfitter is no longer true in my book.)

Prior to last seasons hunt, I placed an order of over $500. ->They were out of 30.06 ammo? durnig hunting season???, and then sent me the wrong ammuniation for my .300. Ended up buying both locally. It took them 2 months to resolve and refund me for the wrong ammuniation order? I placed an order this spring for a new reel, lures, etc. More back order issues. I finally have my new reel after a month??? On top of that, they had to cancel my card because the little rat who took my order over the phone, stole my number and tried to buy an Xbox?

There is a difference between fairness and charity, a company has to draw the line somewhere to still make money. I was an assistant manager in retail for 3 years and you cannot believe the expectation of some customers. These customers like the ones mentioned above ruin it for everyone else.

I say, 'black list' those customers and keep it real for the gold /premier status guys and gals who have been and are great customers, spend lots of money, bring them our friends to spend even more money.....signing up more of the right customers? Like a good driver discount, a good buyer discount.

Customer dishonesty is the problem. Too many free loaders and people that take advantage of any situation. Hey just look at our country.

I've bought stuff through the Sportman's Guide before and they have a 100% guarantee anytime forever with a receipt. Too me that seems crazy but it works for them. I had to return a pair of Merrell boots that started leaking after 6 months and I felt kind of guilty. They still had lots of miles obviously left in them but were leaking bad. The guy said not too worry that's what the policy is for. He did say that people will wear the item for like 5 years and totally wear it out and then return it demanding a refund or exchange. He said he has to honor it because it is their policy. That's just plain fraud on the customers part.
I think the only way they can support this policy is because a lot of their merchandise is overstock or older models from big manufactures. They buy at a screaming deal and have better profit margin than say Cabelas. Just my guess. They do have some great deals come through there on occasion and you can buy name brand stuff for a great deal. I believe they are a sponsor to this show as well. I recommend them highly.

Boots totally worn out, clothes that had faded from dozens of washings and refunds expected. It is like ordering a steak in a restaurant, eating three quarters of it and then telling the waiter that there is something wrong with the meal and they should not have to pay. I know people that do this.

I think Cabelas has gone downhill also, but not just the return policy. Orders take longer to receive and are wrong a lot of times now. I just ordered a cot with a free nightstand a few weeks ago. I got the nightstand, but never got the cot. I called them and they said that they had neglected to ship the cot, they did not neglect to charge my card though. They shipped it then but I had to wait an extra week to get it. I think the quality of some of their products has slipped some too.

I have experienced similar issues with backorders and mistakes made on orders recently. I would guess this is a corporate "just in time" inventory system that allows them to operate with less inventory. Somebody propably go a big bonus for coming up with the idea. From the consumers point of view it means lots of backordered items.

About 6 months ago there was a story on here about Cabelas screwing a customer over on their tag application service for a New Mexico tag. I also found an article about Cabelas screwing several hundered applications in Arizona because they missed the deadline for allications and tried to file a lawsuit to allow the applications in the draw. They lost and several hundred people got screwed.

Ive been buying from MidwayUSA instead. They seem to have great service so far.

I think Cabelas has the best mail-order customer service but their in store service sucks. I really want to know the qualifications to be an "archery expert" because ours here couldn't tune a bow if you paid him a grand tO do it. Sometimes I'll just ask an associate a question that I already know the answer to just to test em... Fail almost everytime. Sportsmans Warehouse here is the opposite. Almost every guy in there I've talked to is an actual OYO guy and they know the local area... It feels as though it's just a small shop atmosphere with the bonus of having massive stores... SW all the way!!!

Its unfortunate there return policy changed, but I understand why it had to. There still responsive and will stand behind quality issues in my experience, its a shame that other people had to ruin it for us, but really it was, in a way stealing what some people were doing. I cant name a problem I've ever had buying from or ordering from them and whatever I buy always ships to my door within 2 busisness days after I place an order, there in-store pickup is great to especially with items that cost alot to ship. There sales associates leave somthing to be desired, but they dont pay enough to retain employees with that kind of knowledge and skill, and there prices reflect that. Besides 99% of the time I know what I want and have done the research on it. Just another business model change that has come about because of the internet.

There is no doubt the policy needed to change with so many people taking advantage of them but I think they tightened the screw to much and they are becoming hard to deal with.

In fact a couple years ago I got put on the blacklist for returning to much stuff. I had to explain to them if the store would carry it so I could try it on I wouldnt need to return everything.

Last year they had a promotion where if you spend X amount of dollars you got a certain amount off, your typical cabelas promotion. I had to go round and round with them because I wanted to get a leupold superslam scope but they never had one in stock to buy and they kept asking me to come back another day and see if they had one in then. I finally called corporate and had a nice talk with them and they sent me a certificate to off set the amount that I should have had off.

Hopefully they will correct their mistake and find a happy middle where they can still take care of their good customers

Buy it on a credit card. You have 60 days to dispute it, by law. In the mean time, use it to your best. If it's going to fail you'll see the signs by then usually. I have never had a credit card dispute challenged, and have even had a representative go two-on-one, with me, to a " Free Credit Report dot Com" company taht was cahrging me monthly . She got me every cent back.

I have noticed a decline of Cabelas' customer service that coincided with the decline of the economy. I think they like everyone else had to cut overhead and do business more effeciently. Too bad that makes for a poorer buying experience for us.

Without great customer service, the Cabela's experience is not all that great. Their prices are usually the highest in town. They send sale flyers out but usually don't have an adequate stock of those sale items. Sale items online may be available in the store but not at the sale price. I bought a crappy pair of boots a few years ago from Cabelas and had to threaten them to get a full refund. The sole split from the toe to heel after a few months use. I went to buy a box of Barnes TTSX bullets last Friday in Billings. They had a $ 5.00 rebate coupon for these bullets set up on the shelf above the bullets. Unfortunately, the rebate expired last year but they left the coupons up. They thought it was no big deal and I thought it was very deceptive. I prefer Scheels and go there first.

I have had alot of the same experiences as mentioned above. Stuff in the flyers is never in stock, out of stock on rifle bullets in November and delays on shipping ordered stuff. Truly believe it is the economy leading to lack of inventory. Lost our local Sportsman Warehouse a year ago and local Scheels is more fishing, clothes and school gear than hunting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back