Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Gunstocks Inc. - Beware.

Four22

Warning about Gunstocks Inc.

http://gunstocksinc.com/index.html

I ordered a stock for an old hammer double that I’ve had for years but the stock was split as most are.

stock came in a timely manor and upon arrival everything looked ok. So I set it aside until I had more time to work on it.

almost 2 months go by and I get some time to start working the project and the stock is clearly crooked and not straight muzzle to butt plate. See pictures below.

contacted Gunstocks Inc and was told:

“Any issues should have been explained before any fitting was started. Also as explained in the return/refun policy agreement,

All defective items and return requests must be reported and returned to us within 7 days after customer received the item.”

I tried discussing further and sent quite a few pictures of the Miss alignment and was basically told to pound salt because I was outside of the 7 day period.

I asked if there was anything they would do and to correct this and was told:

“The return/refund policy is very specific, all issues are to be brought to our attention within 7 days after you received the order not approx. 2 months later.”

I agree it is outside the 7 day period but there CLEARLY is some sort of error/crookedness.

I didn’t alter the stock in any way shape or form in the pictures below and it’s over 1/2” out of straight at the breach.

lesson learned as I wasted $144 bucks on a crooked piece of wood and a forend that was too short...

buyer beware of Gunstocks Inc. and not standing behind their product.

Attachments

• E0995E74-279F-486B-9F27-9BE9EB6B1F63.jpeg
    E0995E74-279F-486B-9F27-9BE9EB6B1F63.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
  • CE52C3DC-FC44-4430-B402-E2AD8075684D.jpeg
    CE52C3DC-FC44-4430-B402-E2AD8075684D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
  • B2CF6582-3B68-4EA0-97EE-FF3B0B0D18B9.jpeg
    B2CF6582-3B68-4EA0-97EE-FF3B0B0D18B9.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
  • 025FB651-A2D9-45DF-94EB-2FEC4804B13F.jpeg
    025FB651-A2D9-45DF-94EB-2FEC4804B13F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
Well, it looks as though your stock as some cast off to it. That would not be surprising. I have several guns like that. One with at least 3/4" of cast off the other maybe an inch. Those two are excessive by I like them that way. I have other guns that have more normal 1/4-3/8" cast off. Unless you are a left handed shooter you may really prefer this and shoot much better. It appears that the toe is rotated inwards, which would be unusual for most right handed shooters, but not implausible. Cast as well as drop at comb and heel should have been listed with their description of the stock.

European varieties of walnut can often be easily bent. American black walnut is harder. I'm not an expert but I have bent english guns with English walnut.

I cannot tell if your tang is fully inlet or not but you may be able to work with this to some degree.

It looks like the fore end fit could be cleaned up. Appears to not be cut very straight. Is there enough clearance in the locking piece channel to allow for trueing up the end and closing the gap? I agree with Brent. Go ahead and fit the buttstock to the gun and see how it works for you. You're stuck with it so may as well. Might even fit you better than before. If not, it's not a particularly difficult thing changing the cast, drop, etc. by bending the wood. But probably something best left to a gunsmith. Does it have a straight grip?

Understood on the cast off but the original stock was straight and not twisted at the butt plate

the forend has the locking latch inletted snd is installed for the picture and the forend is short. Moving things foreword would leave a gap around the exposed

Understood on the cast off but the original stock was straight and not twisted at the butt plate

the forend has the locking latch inletted snd is installed for the picture and the forend is short. Moving things foreword would leave a gap around the exposed
Re the fore end locking slot: I suspected such might be the case. Too bad. Really, they should have left too much wood rather than too little. Inexcusable. Thanks for putting out the warning. Perhaps email them a link to this thread. Yes, I'm sure the old stock had no cant or twist but this might work. Will there be a checkering issue if you try to match the new stock to old fore end?

I feel your pain. A couple years back I ordered a Champion (formerly Ram Line) synthetic stock for my A5 Magnum. Both the original wood stock and fore end broke down due to design flaws that should have been remedied after the guns went into production 120 years ago. I hunt hard and no maintenance worries appealed to me as did lightening the weight of perhaps the heaviest twelve gauge ever made. The stock fit fine but the fore end required a lot of modification before it would work. The magazine channel was WAY too narrow. No magazine cap locking pin in the plastic fore end, only a nubbin that wore off in short order, so I had to salvage the pin from old fore end and fit it into the plastic one. Champion has since stopped making that stock set (no surprise). Some are still floating around for sale but anyone interested in one should be capable of making alterations. Plastic material is a bitch to work with. Super hard.Black Beauty 2.JPG

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back