Cabelas optics - buyer beware

rogerthat

In 2019 on a Colorado deer hunt, my spotting scope fell out of my pack riding a four wheeler back to camp. The next morning I looked everywhere to no avail so in a rush to get a spotter I jumped on cabelas online and bought their cx-pro 86 mm straight spotter for $899.99. I think made by meopta. It beat me home and I was ready to keep deer hunting in Montana.

Fast forward to elk season 2022, my second week of hunting(I pack my spotter everywhere) I whip the scope out of my pack to get a closer look at a big bull I had been seeing glimpses of all season and something had moved internally. Scope looks flawless but the view is not circular nor will it focus.

I call cabelas customer service they tell me to take it to a cabelas location. So tonight I do that. They tell me tough luck. That I bought the scope after Bass Pro Shops bought cabelas and the lifetime warranty that their optics had is now gone. All they have is a 90 day return policy. I asked the gal well why would anyone buy a cabelas rebranded optic if they don’t get any warranty. Her response “they shouldn’t”.

I kept after it and right now they are going to call meopta for me or look into giving me some partial purchase store credit but damn I wished I would have just bought direct from meopta.

I’m actually not sure who makes this scope now that I started looking into it. Anybody know?

I’m actually not sure who makes this scope now that I started looking into it. Anybody know?
I think its an Athlon. I bought a used Athlon rifle scope for cheap, I suspected that it might have a problem, but wanted to test their CS. They started a return for me immediately and sent me a new scope as soon as it came in stock. Hopefully its actually one of theirs, and they give you the same great service.

In 2019 on a Colorado deer hunt, my spotting scope fell out of my pack riding a four wheeler back to camp. The next morning I looked everywhere to no avail so in a rush to get a spotter I jumped on cabelas online and bought their cx-pro 86 mm straight spotter for $899.99. I think made by meopta. It beat me home and I was ready to keep deer hunting in Montana.

Fast forward to elk season 2022, my second week of hunting(I pack my spotter everywhere) I whip the scope out of my pack to get a closer look at a big bull I had been seeing glimpses of all season and something had moved internally. Scope looks flawless but the view is not circular nor will it focus.

I call cabelas customer service they tell me to take it to a cabelas location. So tonight I do that. They tell me tough luck. That I bought the scope after Bass Pro Shops bought cabelas and the lifetime warranty that their optics had is now gone. All they have is a 90 day return policy. I asked the gal well why would anyone buy a cabelas rebranded optic if they don’t get any warranty. Her response “they shouldn’t”.

I kept after it and right now they are going to call meopta for me or look into giving me some partial purchase store credit but damn I wished I would have just bought direct from meopta.
So Cabela’s sucks and they don’t stand behind their warranty. Search on here and you will find my thread regarding my Cabela’s Moepta warranty experience.

Short story is Cabela’s was worthless. Meopta was at first a little slow to help, but in the end they fixed my binoculars for free. Only cost me shipping to send in and they even covered my return shipping.

Don’t trust Cabela’s employees to do anything besides stock sports bras and Under Armour gear. However, you should contact Meopta. At minimum they will fix it and even if you have to pay, it will be less than you think and less than a new one.

Back in the 90s and early 2000’s I used to be the Cabelas poster boy. I think I had a weekly stock order 15 years. Started down hill in my opinion in about 2005-7. Final straw for me is when BPS took over. I started discovering smaller specialty retailers with online options as well as direct from the manufacturer.

Yeah cabelas is a big joke now. Scheels seems to be nice to deal with
Yes Scheels is great. A good friend of mine bought a Cooper rifle from them. He had to send it to Cooper 3 times and Cooper couldn't get it right. Scheels said bring it in and they would refund his money or let him exchange for another gun no questions asked.

I used to always go to Cabela's. Haven't been in probably 3 years. I now go to Scheels and Sportsmans Warehouse and lean towards Scheels as they usually have better stock of quality stuff.

Sooo where did you lose that original spotter...??

I think its an Athlon. I bought a used Athlon rifle scope for cheap, I suspected that it might have a problem, but wanted to test their CS. They started a return for me immediately and sent me a new scope as soon as it came in stock. Hopefully its actually one of theirs, and they give you the same great service.
I think this is correct, it sure seems to look like a few different athlons.

Older stuff was definitely me opts but I’m thinking they changed things up with becoming bass pro

I used to always go to Cabela's. Haven't been in probably 3 years. I now go to Scheels and Sportsmans Warehouse and lean towards Scheels as they usually have better stock of quality stuff.

Sooo where did you lose that original spotter...??
Wyoming Colorado border. It was a cabelas big sky hd. Loved that spotter. Not sure if I got lucky with the glass in it or what but my brother had a big zeiss diascope and he used to get pissed when I could resolve mule deer antler structure and points when he couldn’t. It was awesome considering I paid $600 and he paid $3000

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back