Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Bury instead of bugs

I've been burying them but the last two came out with really bad mud stains. I may have had them in the ground too long IDK.

I tried burying one once. To avoid the rodents chewing the antlers, I just buried the whole thing, antlers and all. Luckily it wasn't that big, for an elk you would need a backhoe... In the end it worked (head was skinned before burying), but the antlers were a little discolored. I usually just throw them in the pond for a couple months, tethered to a dock. The finished product isn't quite as nice as boiled or beetled, but it sure is simple and cheap.

I learned the hard way about the mice. I buried a deer skull but left the antlers sticking out. Most all the tines were chewed down to numbs by springtime.

I'll stick with giving them to the taxidermist.

I have buried them in the ground a few times but I usually put them in the ground in Oct Nov depending when I get them. I have to leave them in the ground until late spring because the insects aren't as active in the fall when it starts to freeze. But when I take it out of the ground in the spring its clean of all tissue but is darker in color so you can still simmer for a few minutes and then start with the whitening process. Only thing is I keep a black bag over the horns or they will lighten with the sun over the winter or stick a barrel over it to protect it. I would keep it in a fenced yard so critters or neighborhood dogs don't drag it off! hope that helps

Okay things to think about. First you run a high risk of the soil permanently staining the skull. Second, you also run the risk of someone deciding they want the skull more than you and stealing it. Third, it might not work as well as you thought it would and then you have a really nasty, half decomposed rotten skull to deal with. Lastly, it is very common for other kinds of insects to get in the skull and build cocoons and really screw things up. That last problem is something I've had to deal with a lot here in Montana when someone brings me their home project and want me to fix it. I can't remember which kind of ant is attracted to rotting skulls but they sure do screw them up once they find them. It is impossible to get all the little cocoons out of the skull.

Boiling does work well to a degree. The negatives are it's a LOT more work than beetles and usually not every speck of tissue is removed. The other issues with boiling is if you even slightly over boil it (which more people do, than don't) it damages the delicate nasal passage bones. Plus over boiling often causes seems to expand. The seem expansion affects the measurement on skulls like bears, cats, and whatever else might be scored by their skull size. For deer, elk, and antelope that's not a big deal. However I've lost track of how many boiled skulls of those animals I've seen that the skull is heavily separated right down the center of the muzzle. Read split right down the middle.

If those things don't bother you, and many sportsman it does not, then go ahead and boil the skulls. I did it for years before I got my own beetles. Now that I have beetles I will never go back, they are the most fool-proof, least damaging method out there.

Buzz that settles it!! Ive been debating on what to do with my next antelope (granted I draw a tag this year). EURO MOUNTED ANTELOPE LOOK AWESOME IN THAT PIC

Since this was linked to a newer thread and I plan on 'cooking' a few skulls this weekend, what's the actual product you need for the whitening? Do I have it right that one wants peroxide and creme developer from the beauty store? I have the sal soda, which is Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda. I was able to get 175oz of this off Amazon for $25. I've nixed the idea of using a turkey fryer and built a 'gizmo' this weekend off plan I found online. It's basically an 18gal plastic tote from Home Depot that I drilled a hole in and mounted a water heater element in. I have about $30 in the setup. After running for a bit it was way too hot to stick one's hand in! Either way, I think I'll be able to get in plenty hot enough clean the skulls.

Plus, with it being Halloween, I figure I can do it in the driveway and no one will notice too much! :D

This is what we use for bleaching:

http://www.sallybeauty.com/creme-developer/SLNCAR63,default,pd.html#prefn1=type&prefv1=40+Volume&start=1

This has the peroxide in it, so you do not need to add any additional. IMO, easier to work with than the liquid stuff.

And if you want to counteract any yellowish cast, you can add a little of this to the cream:

http://www.sallybeauty.com/powder-lightener/LOREAL12,default,pd.html

It doesn't take much. Mix them up in a bowl first - you'll get a sort of lavender-colored foam - then brush it on. It doesn't take very long, but be careful not to get any on the antlers. It bleaches like crazy!

I bet your buddy buried it in an ant mound... don't just bury it in a hole in the yard! the ants will pick it clean as well, it just takes much longer and you run the risk of having a critter pack them off if you're not careful.

Last edited:
I've nixed the idea of using a turkey fryer and built a 'gizmo' this weekend off plan I found online. It's basically an 18gal plastic tote from Home Depot that I drilled a hole in and mounted a water heater element in. I have about $30 in the setup. After running for a bit it was way too hot to stick one's hand in! Either way, I think I'll be able to get in plenty hot enough clean the skulls.

I need a new set up as well. Mind sharing the plans on this set up? I'm intrigued.

I need a new set up as well. Mind sharing the plans on this set up? I'm intrigued.

A bucket and aquarium heater works pretty good if you have somewhere to store it, will get way stinky in a hurry. I really like it for doing skulls that will fit completely in the bucket so you can put a lid on it. You're going to end of with a bucket of pure disgusting, but it makes for a good looking skull.

In my experience, if the water is not boiling it will not get the job done, and I am always afraid of having the skull in too long. Are you guys just using hot water? If so how long are you leaving the skulls in?

Nevermind. Just read Buzz'z post number 22. I have always boiled them and never for more than 45 minutes. Sounds like that is not the way to go. I will try his recommendations moving forward.

Gizmo didn't work as well as I'd hoped. I think if I'd have stuck to a smaller bucket (deer/pronghorn) it'd be fine, but I made mine with a 18gal. tote. Didn't get quite hot enough, but the tote did get hot enough that I punched a whole through it... :eek: Since I have all the stuff, I may except the bucket, I'll probably try a smaller one with flat backed bucket.

Here's a link to where I got the idea.

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=539553

Had 3 "golden pots" working 2 Saturdays ago. Sunny day, some beers and you can have a pretty good time.

The other folks involved shot their bulls in archery and they were plenty rank, they were boiling and pressure washing which seemed the way to go with the real stinky stuff. Although they were wearing face helmets and full rubber rain gear:eek:

I pressure washed one once and it flipped over and I took a bunch of color off the back of a elk main beam and it pissed me off so I've never done it since.

I use calcium hypochlorite...you can literally have a white and clean skull in one day. Potent stuff. You still will need to do some detail work around the antlers because you can only get it so close.

Hey Dink, for nasty stuff, a little Vicks under the nose helps. For really nasty stuff, a cheap dust mask smeared with Vicks works. mtmuley

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back