Bronco beater.

I have a life long no import vehicle policy. mtmuley

Life long Ford truck owner and no reason to change (and have a Jeep TJ) but on wife's car's/SUV's we've been severely let down by Ford and Chevy on reliability. Will be switching to Toyota, probably Highlander for her and I would buy a Forerunner but man, those are pricey.

We had a Jeep Wrangler. Bought it two years old with 7000 miles on it. I did all the maintenance, and it rarely left the pavement. Completely stock. Ball joints were shot at 40k miles and one axle seal was starting to leak. Maybe that was an anomaly, and it might have been fine after $1300 in repairs. It’s gone. We now have a Toyota and a Honda.

I sold a 1992 XJ 4.0 to a buddy in WA (he and his kids have about 35 jeeps of varying description and levels of assembly between them) in 2003 when I went to Europe and couldn't take it. He has driven that damn thing every where (including a visit down here to me) and just went over 400k miles. It had 120,000 when I sold it to him. They have their own set of issues due to the Jeep/MOPAR half-assed attitude toward quality control but XJ are great trail rigs and the 4.0 a great engine for a truck-ish thing that size.

Funny. The 4.0 is one of the most reliable engines ever made. Had a few myself. Kinda like picking a bullet. mtmuley
I would agree that straight 6 is pretty reliable. That wasn't usually the issue (see JLS's post above) But to each their own.

Both of our sample sizes are too small to draw much of a conclusion, kinda like bullets.

Some jeeps do look cool. But I know I work hard enough for my money I don't plan to piss it away on repairs and depreciation.

View attachment 146262
You might want to look at how those are measured before you put too much stock in them. They really aren't "reliability" surveys at all. I'm an American-made guy, but even I know that Acura doesn't belong at the bottom of the list with Alfa Romeo (Cadillac really shouldn't be there either) and Dodge doesn't belong in the Top 10.

The issue is with Purchaser's Bias making buyers of certain vehicles (like luxury vehicles) more likely to self-report a "problem" than the buyer of an economy vehicle with lower expectations. Buyers also subconsciously consider cost-to-benefit and a preconceived notion of expected reliability which doesn't give a true unbiased accounting of "reliability" as most of us think of it (such as with major repairs or breakdowns).

Last edited:
You might want to look at how those are measured before you put too much stock in them. They really aren't "reliability" surveys at all. I'm an American-made guy, but even I know that Acura doesn't belong at the bottom of the list with Alfa Romeo (Cadillac really shouldn't be there either) and Dodge doesn't belong in the Top 10.

The issue is with Purchaser's Bias making buyers of certain vehicles (like luxury vehicles) more likely to self-report a "problem" than the buyer of an economy vehicle with lower expectations. Buyers also subconsciously consider cost-to-benefit which doesn't give a true unbiased accounting of "reliability" as most of us think of it.
Sure, plenty of faults on the collection, but it still represents data points. Cars are hard because there's too much money in the industry to allow to apples to apples third party reliability comparisons without lawsuits, and they are so expensive and generally last so long that many people only interact with a couple handfuls in their lives.

Also, here's an article that says Mazda is most reliable brand for 2020 from Consumer Reports?

It also says, "Subaru, Toyota, Kia, Ford, and even Tesla performed well among consumers and with the CR engineers. The competition is fierce in the reliability category, making Mazda’s recent honor that much sweeter of a victory."

Also, here's an article that says Mazda is most reliable brand for 2020 from Consumer Reports?

It also says, "Subaru, Toyota, Kia, Ford, and even Tesla performed well among consumers and with the CR engineers. The competition is fierce in the reliability category, making Mazda’s recent honor that much sweeter of a victory."

The data clearly isn't so clear because both articles are claiming the same data and coming up with different results.

I don't know anyone who would try and argue that Jeeps are more reliable than Toyotas. You see a lot of Tundras on the road around here because they are made to a larger % in America than Dodge Ram or Chevy, and they last a long time with a minimum of repairs and recalls.

The Tundra has 75% North American parts content. In the second quarter of 2008 Toyota moved all Tundra production to the Texas plant. All Tundra engines and transmissions are built in the United States.

One thing to add....AS a Dodge (good ol Doug ) owner. Dodge/MOPAR aren't (and haven't been for sometime) "American" cars in that MOPAR has been foreign owned, even excluding the "partnership" with Mercedes, by Fiat since 2011. Additionally, you can now Peugeot as a part owner as well. Add to that the Ram trucks made in Mexico.........Food for thought

Ford, at least isn't saddled with these issues.

I would agree that straight 6 is pretty reliable. That wasn't usually the issue (see JLS's post above) But to each their own.

Both of our sample sizes are too small to draw much of a conclusion, kinda like bullets.

That's why I'm keeping my 2006 TJ with a straight 6. Doing better than my 2012 Chevy Equinox with 90,000 miles.

I have owned 2 XJ’s and 2 MJ’s (Comanche) they were great vehicles and I knew them inside and out, but fords new offering with Dana 44’s front and rear with locking differentials is going to be pretty dang tough to beat. I would have to read more about the resurrection of the XJ to be convinced of capability. If the new XJ stands a chance against the Bronco it is going to have to be value oriented on a true to XJ unibody frame. Conceptually the Bronco is just a significantly more capable vehicle.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back