Caribou Gear Tarp

Poisonous Pods to Hunt With? Seriously?

So question about these pods will they pretty much kill a critter regardless of where you hit them?
That would be something you would have to consider. You would think that a shot in a spot with low blood flow would, at the minimum, delay the effects. So maybe a shot in the lower leg might take a couple of hours to kill, causing the loss of an animal that otherwise would have survived with a limp.

From what I understand, a skim type shot like hitting the lower left or a low or high shot that grazes the animal doesn't actually get enough poison isn't the blood stream to do anything. So it still requires a decent shot to get a kill. Exception would be a direct shot into the hammy.

From what I understand, a skim type shot like hitting the lower left or a low or high shot that grazes the animal doesn't actually get enough poison isn't the blood stream to do anything. So it still requires a decent shot to get a kill. Exception would be a direct shot into the hammy.
That's pretty much it. A skim or an area with little blood flow will be affected just like it was shot without a pod. A shot that passes through or into a muscle with good blood flow would allow the anectine to get into the system.

So If it's a less than great hit then are they going to die maybe the next day? Is it that exact of a science?

So shot placement still matters? Maybe we should create these for rifle hunters also since obviously they wound as well and the number one concern seems to be making sure animals are recovered no matter how

I had never heard of this before but it looks like it has been around the 60's and the Fred Bear was even a proponent of it...I'm stunned
Yes, old stuff. But I thought Fred was opposed, not promoting. Must have misjogged my memory. Doesn't sound very Fredlike, however.

I had a LONG debate years ago with a guy named Adriene something, supposedly an expert and he sent me a book he wrote. Was interesting. He claimed Bear was privately for it but knew publicly it would ruin him

It works essentially by freezing muscles, so the animal dies of suffocation while fully alert. It has to get into blood, so those "void" hits in the backstrap would likely become fatal, any hit to the butt becomes fatal. It supposedly won't effect the meat and in the right dosage for a deer it's not enough to kill the hunter if an accident happens

Was an eye opening discussion and book but it's a hard no for me. I've seen deer die quickly when hit with an arrow they don't appear to know anything is wrong. But to take a deer that may have lived and essentially suffocate them while alert?? That's a hard pass from me

As a person that blood trails deer for the public I can tell you that you wouldn't believe how many of those shots are taken anyway.
It saddens me to read this, but I don't doubt it one bit. Are you able to bite your tongue or do you speak your mind?

Also, you should start a thread about your experiences and tips!

It saddens me to read this, but I don't doubt it one bit. Are you able to bite your tongue or do you speak your mind?

Also, you should start a thread about your experiences and tips!
When we find the deer, the hunters are usually so excited that it's hard to speak my mind. I will share pictures and stories of similar shots that didn't end in a recovered deer. Neck shots or high shoulders with gaping wounds on camera, 3 legged deer, deer missing lower jaws from botched headshots. I have seen that the ones taking those shots are newer hunters and usually figure out why their shot was not the best choice.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardMargarine
Back