Bad thing?

In 1954: Schools (and just about everywhere else) were segregated, you couldn't marry outside your race, being gay could be used to throw you in prison, mental health has putting people in asylums & abusing them with electric shock, there wasn't a Clean Air or Clean Water Act and a huge swath of the Great Lakes were devoid of fish, let alone drinkable water.

But you could buy a Luger out of a magazine, so, yeah.
I never said it was perfect, but just look at us now. We've fixed it all, right? As long as it's PC, there's no problem. We "fix" one issue and create 5 new issues.

I'd argue that the issue of hate is just as real today

I never said it was perfect, but just look at us now. We've fixed it all, right? As long as it's PC, there's no problem. We "fix" one issue and create 5 new issues.

I'd argue that the issue of hate is just as real today

I'm just reminding us what the 1950's were really like.

Yes, hate is just as real and nothing is perfect, but where we are today is better than where we were then.

In 1954: Schools (and just about everywhere else) were segregated, you couldn't marry outside your race, being gay could be used to throw you in prison, mental health has putting people in asylums & abusing them with electric shock, there wasn't a Clean Air or Clean Water Act and a huge swath of the Great Lakes were devoid of fish, let alone drinkable water.

But you could buy a Luger out of a magazine, so, yeah.
And women's limited job and educational opportunities, the threat of imminent destruction via nuclear attack, pretty remedial medical care, suppression of clergy sexual misconduct, etc, etc,

But it was great for the white straight male protestant landowner in the unpopulated west, or so I'm told.

Time to start looking forward, not backward folks. None of our current problems are solved by a pollyannish remembrance of a past that never really was for most of the nation. Our schools need to be better for all students, fair treatment and opportunity for all needs to be better, our medical system needs to be better, our mental health system needs to be better, crony capitalism needs to be reigned in, our public lands better managed, our approach to crime and punishment needs improvement, the current fascination with left and right extremists needs to go away, etc etc etc. - the policies of 1954 don't give us any of that in 2022.

And women's limited job and educational opportunities, the threat of imminent destruction via nuclear attack, pretty remedial medical care, suppression of clergy sexual misconduct, etc, etc,

But it was great for the white straight male protestant landowner in the unpopulated west, or so I'm told.

Time to start looking forward, not backward folks. None of our current problems are solved by a pollyannish remembrance of a past that never really was for most of the nation. Our schools need to be better for all students, fair treatment and opportunity for all needs to be better, our medical system needs to be better, our mental health system needs to be better, crony capitalism needs to be reigned in, our public lands better managed, our approach to crime and punishment needs improvement, the current fascination with left and right extremists needs to go away, etc etc etc. - the policies of 1954 don't give us any of that in 2022.

I will say that Eisenhower's tax structure was brilliant during the 50's though. Much better for building the middle-class, encouraging homeownership, etc. Imagine if we went back to taxing corporations at a real rate!

I will say that Eisenhower's tax structure was brilliant during the 50's though. Much better for building the middle-class, encouraging homeownership, etc. Imagine if we went back to taxing corporations at a real rate!
That too is an illusion - but we will save that for another thread (or maybe hopefully not).

I'm just reminding us what the 1950's were really like.

Yes, hate is just as real and nothing is perfect, but where we are today is better than where we were then.
Is it? It’s different but what defines better? Some glaring social issues such as race relations are way better.

Other issues are arguably worse.

Honest conversations around poverty, the sanctity of human life, individual and social responsibility and a myriad of other issues are difficult to come by when people separate themselves into political camps and aren’t willing to address the strengths and weaknesses of the way they approach the morality and feasibility of the problems and solutions.

Last edited:
View attachment 213252
I think if we got back to our grandfathers and grandmothers principals and morals we’d be a lot better off that includes marketing. 60-80 years ago .22’s and the like were marketed right at youngsters “boys rifles” etc. it’s 100% a people problem not blame the firearm problem.
Show and tell is definitely different....

Back