BLM and fencing

bushman13

Curious to how various people would interpret this. What do you guys do when BLM has public access but is fenced off and made to look like private property? Without OnX or similar info, it would look like the ranch property starts at the BLM, it has signs and fencing. For the people that say , go ahead, is there a possibility the ranch has leased the hunting rights? Is there anyway to proceed safely without contacting the ranch?

1581703734132.png

The fencing is not across the county rd, it simply parallels the road and goes along the NF border.

Sometimes the data layers on onx do not overlay or match up perfectly. When in doubt don’t assume you are on public. Do more research.

Contact the BLM office. Virtually no chance the ranch has leased hunting rights to BLM. Much greater chance that the mapping is off. Is there fence along the BLM/private boundary? Given the info, I'd probably hunt it.

I'm not 100% sure I understand the scenario on the map, but there are fences on BLM all the time. Sometimes on the borders and sometime right through the middle. The BLM is public, so as long as you are on BLM you are fine.

The fencing is not along the BLM/Private boundary. It is extended out to the BLM/NF boundary to give the appearance the private starts at the westerly BLM border.

Contact the BLM office. Virtually no chance the ranch has leased hunting rights to BLM. Much greater chance that the mapping is off. Is there fence along the BLM/private boundary? Given the info, I'd probably hunt it.

BLM generally marks the entrance to each fenced off lot with a circular metal sign (that is frequently removed by neighboring property owners). If a BLM sign exists at the entrance, that plot is open for public use unless it is under an exclusive control lease which is sometimes done for grazing cattle. I would not go hunting, hiking and sometimes not even fishing without my GPS and Hunt-X maps. Unless the land is marked, you will not know what is private and what is open BLM land and that is your responsibility to know.

There are only a couple of situations of which I'm aware where hunting access to BLM can be restricted by a landowner. In Colorado ranchers can include landlocked BLM lands in the acreage they enroll in the CPW Ranching for Wildlife program. That essentially renders unit-wide tags invalid on those lands. There is a similar situation in UT with their CWMU program, and often those enrolled BLM lands are not landlocked.

Very good point, the Ranch is a RFW member in CO

There are only a couple of situations of which I'm aware where hunting access to BLM can be restricted by a landowner. In Colorado ranchers can include landlocked BLM lands in the acreage they enroll in the CPW Ranching for Wildlife program. That essentially renders unit-wide tags invalid on those lands. There is a similar situation in UT with their CWMU program, and often those enrolled BLM lands are not landlocked.

It definitely is a range fence, I'm just going to feel a little strange jumping it 😬

In this situation, it's still unlikely that the BLM land is enrolled. It's more likely that the fence is just a range fence.

I would go into the local BLM office and ask them and get a copy of the latest BLM map for the area that shows all BLM land open for public access.

Here is the statement from the BLM website. They say 99% of BLM land is open to hunting. You may have found the 1%.
"Unless specifically prohibited, public lands managed by the BLM are open to hunting. Always check with your local BLM office in the region you plan to visit to inquire about closures, restrictions and safety tips before you plan your trip."

Someone correct me if I am wrong on this theory, but the rancher may have grazing rights for the BLM section and just put the fence there to give the cows access. He may also have grazing rights on NFS land, but he couldn't put the fence there.?

Here is the statement from the BLM website. They say 99% of BLM land is open to hunting. You may have found the 1%.
"Unless specifically prohibited, public lands managed by the BLM are open to hunting. Always check with your local BLM office in the region you plan to visit to inquire about closures, restrictions and safety tips before you plan your trip."

Someone correct me if I am wrong on this theory, but the rancher may have grazing rights for the BLM section and just put the fence there to give the cows access. He may also have grazing rights on NFS land, but he couldn't put the fence there.?

I have run into this before. As a general rule, if the land is BLM and DOES NOT have signs marking it as exclusive control lease or otherwise prohibiting hunting or other access, it is open to public access including hunting, fishing, camping, etc. If BLM grants an exclusive control lease, part of their lease agreement requires leasees to post the land accordingly. However, again, contact the local BLM office to double check. The regional office having jurisdiction over that land is the best one to contact and they are good at providing accurate information in person and over the phone.

Also, if you run into BLM land that has a locked gate and there is no sign restricting access, report it to the regional BLM office giving accurate GPS location and they will send someone out to enforce access.

How Much distance is the actual discrepancy?

200 yds? quarter mile? Doesn't seem like a Huge difference....Unless there is a nice buck getting ready to jump...

I hear you, what I really want to do is park and camp on it.

It's only 200 acres

How Much distance is the actual discrepancy?

200 yds? quarter mile? Doesn't seem like a Huge difference....Unless there is a nice buck getting ready to jump...

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back