BLM and fencing

Eagle County and areas around Craig in Colorado are having major problems with landowners locking gates on BLM land and claiming ownership, including tearing down BLM property markers which is illegal. If your map shows it as BLM and it is marked otherwise, report it please. I had to call the Sheriff on a landowner last time I hunted the Craig area because the landowner actually threatened me with a gun. That landowner was promptly arrested and did some time. Not sure how much, but I spent time in court when this landowner was prosecuted for that. This was in the 90s way back when I was a Colorado resident.

There's a good chance it's just a pasture boundary with the BLM included in the private pasture, and if they do also lease the FS for grazing, then it's just another pasture divided by the fence. But if they have it posted so the BLM appears to be off limits it's worth double checking with BLM, although if there's public access to the national forest then it's not landlocked BLM, so unlikely to qualify for the exemption Oak stated above.

Be aware that grazing permits is not a lease. BLM charges by AUM (animal unit month) for grazing fees. Without a separate lease, grazing permits is just another "public use" of BLM land by permit not a lease. Most exclusive control leases are granted for mining and oil drilling, not grazing.

It’s looks like just a pasture fence to me. Fences are installed based on land use, not necessarily property boundaries. It’s often one and the same, but there are lots of exceptions. The BLM looks skinny, and too small to be managed separately...I imagine it is part of the same allotment as the private, hence the fencing. Unless it’s posted as private (which would be shady), this looks pretty normal and I would hunt it.

You don't mention the land being posted, so the fact that it's fenced doesn't really signal anything. It's likely that the private ranch leases the BLM grazing rights, in which case the fence encompassing both the private and the BLM makes perfect sense. Go ahead and hunt it, just be careful you don't wander onto private, since it looks like there's not a fence delineating the two.

I think he said he wants to camp on it. Might be sleeping with cows. That is always fun.

Ya until you get up at night to take a piss and either step in a freshy or startle a sleeping giant. Both of which will ruin your restful night sleep.

Ya until you get up at night to take a piss and either step in a freshy or startle a sleeping giant. Both of which will ruin your restful night sleep.

Worse when they rub your tent poles at 2am. Woke up knowing it was a grizzly.

I was in Utah, but at 2am, everything had a grizz

Just remember your on x gps is probably only accurate to within maybe 10-30’. Some times that accuracy level might be a bit tighter, but your not dealing with a survey grade piece of equipment.

Worse when they rub your tent poles at 2am. Woke up knowing it was a grizzly.

I was in Utah, but at 2am, everything had a grizz

Or you're dead asleep in the rooftop tent after a long and difficult hunt, with a freshly butchered speed goat in the cooler in the back of the truck, and a cow decides to start leaning on your truck and sniffing loudly, and you're positive its a mountain lion in the bed of the truck.

It’s looks like just a pasture fence to me. Fences are installed based on land use, not necessarily property boundaries. It’s often one and the same, but there are lots of exceptions. The BLM looks skinny, and too small to be managed separately...I imagine it is part of the same allotment as the private, hence the fencing. Unless it’s posted as private (which would be shady), this looks pretty normal and I would hunt it.
I know of several places just as Hunting Wife described. I would bet that this is another example.
Also keep in mind that may of the fences out west were built long ago when the property owners were more concerned about putting the fence in a convenient place then on the line.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back