Blame HuntTalk.

I do "choke" down a lot of craft beer, I guess I now can't complain... I could start drinking bud light and take the extra craft beer money and use it to hunt :)....nope...can't do it...lol

You need to keep yourself out of the Surly facility???

That could be tough, getting to be alot of good craft beer in MN: Fulton, Liftbridge, Bent Paddle, Hammerheart (brand new in Lino Lakes)....

Nice to read that most of the guys in MT, CO, ID, and WY think they are spoiled. Let's face it, we are spoiled. We get to hunt elk a lot, and we don't have to enter a drawing to do so. We can do the limited entry option, but if we don't draw, we are still elk hunting. And if we choose to hunt certain weapon types, can hunt for a month(s).

I tell people we are living the "Good old days" of elk hunting. Even if I did not live in an elk state like Montana, I can hunt elk in three states every year my budget allows, without be subjected to the whims of the lottery luck; MT, CO, and ID. And if I play the point system in WY, I can hunt there every other year, or at least every third year.

Other than budget constraints, there is no reason a person cannot go elk hunting in this country. Unless, they want nothing but a glory tag. That is a remarkable change to what it was 20, 30, 40 years ago. There are more elk on this continent today, than at any time in my 50 years. Compared to what elk hunting opportunity was out there for our parents and grandparents, today is an embarrassment of riches; the good old days of elk hunting.

I do feel states need to re-think the notion of hammering NRs as the way to keep agencies afloat. I've said it many times and people probably tire of it. In MT, we pay $20 for an elk tag you can use for 11 weeks. Less than $2 per week to go elk hunting from early September to late November. Any MT resident who wants to complain about fees can stick it in their ear.

When you have a guy like Greenhorn state he would pay NR fees to hunt elk in MT, that gives some indication of the quality of the general elk tag here. I would also pay the NR fee for what opportunity that tag provides. It's that good.

I get to travel to every state in the west, hunting a lot of different species. If there is one thing I have observed in those travels, it is how much some folks would give anything to have the opportunity we have in states like MT, ID, WY, and CO. Yet, at least in MT, we seem to have a lot of residents who lack perspective as to how good we have it. I suspect the same could be said of the other three states. Anyone thinking elk hunting sucks in those four states, as far as opportunity goes, just travel to some other states and talk about how often/seldom they get to hunt elk, and when they do, how short their seasons are, how restrictive the weapon types are, and how much higher price they pay for resident fees than what we pay.

I hope everyone goes elk hunting this fall, no matter where they live.

You need to keep yourself out of the Surly facility???

That could be tough, getting to be alot of good craft beer in MN: Fulton, Liftbridge, Bent Paddle, Hammerheart (brand new in Lino Lakes)....

Yep and all the beer stores, I'm addicted to trying new beers all the time and yes, it is costly.

It would cost me a lot more than $1500 to elk hunt. The elk tag is what, $800+, gas, and hotels, I don't own all the camping stuff so I would need to do the hotel thing....so way more than $1500. I guess I need to start planning one and see how much I can save to someday try it. I know it just keeps going up and up.

Last edited:
One thing HuntTalk has given me is a real respect for those who don't live in the States of Opportunity, but still dedicate a ton of time and money into traveling and hunting as non-residents.

If I had to travel a thousand miles and spend $1500 to go hunting on a single trip, then hunting would have a very different role in my life. I know the argument can always be made that "if you really wanted to you could save that money", but I don't know if that is always true. Thousands of dollars, a fair amount of time off work, and time away from family isn't something many families can swing. I know that for sure. I think people would be surprised at how many "big time hunters" who live the in the States of Opportunity wouldn't hunt at all if they had to meet such demands to hunt annually.

Yep and all the beer stores, I'm addicted to trying new beers all the time and yes, it is costly.

It would cost me a lot more than $1500 to elk hunt. The elk tag is what, $800+, gas, and hotels, I don't own all the camping stuff so I would need to do the hotel thing....so way more than $1500. I guess I need to start planning one and see how much I can save to comeday try it. I know it just keeps going up and up.

Make a trip up to Hammer Heart. From what I have tasted it will be worth the trip. Their "Flaming Longship" Scotch Ale is pretty awesome.

Now back to elk hunting.....a little craigslist shopping for camping gear, gas and groceries to CO, and $564 for a tag in CO, and you could be in business.

A little how to, from one of our own.
http://www.rmef.org/TheHunt/Before/PlanforGrand.aspx

I wish I could choke down the cost of non res elk tags, an elk tag for a resident in MT is $20 if I'm reading the site correctly. This is why I doubt I will ever go elk hunting, and the fact I refuse to do it alone, so now try finding others that want to spend $1000 for a combo license. :(

If I let myself get fixated on price differential, I'd be so pissed I'd never buy a NR elk tag again. I'd tell the residents to shove it where the sun doesn't shine and figure out a way to fund their own F&G agency.

However, every year I sit out elk hunting in Montana reminds me how much I appreciate the opportunity for what it is and the fact that it's worth it to me to save that money up. With kids approaching college it's getting harder, but I guarantee you that I'll be doing my darnedest to save up enough coin for a good quality archery hunt.

I'd never skip an elk hunt simply because I had no one else to go with. Or, any hunt for that matter.

My first year I hunted MT was as a nonresident living in ND with a big game combo. If I was still a nonresident, I would find a way to come up with the money every year to come over for a week or two. I've been a resident now for coming up on 8 years, and my dad and brother come out most years and don't complain about the price even though neither are wealthy. I've argued with co-workers and other locals though that us residents do need to contribute more. I think we could raise the fees at least somewhat without making it too expensive for the average family to afford all of the hunting/fishing opportunities Montana offers. I almost feel guilty walking over to the sporting goods store paying only $20 to be able hunt rutting muleys.

I love living in Elk Country. I tried to talk the wife into moving to Montana but she wouldn't move that far from family, so we settled on Western Colorado. Still only three hours from home and the opportunity is so much better than Utah. If I had a choice of hunting any state, it would be Montana but it isn't worth the extra cost, to go to another state. Plus, I love hunting close to where I live. Nothing beats afternoon scouting trips.

My first year I hunted MT was as a nonresident living in ND with a big game combo. If I was still a nonresident, I would find a way to come up with the money every year to come over for a week or two. I've been a resident now for coming up on 8 years, and my dad and brother come out most years and don't complain about the price even though neither are wealthy. I've argued with co-workers and other locals though that us residents do need to contribute more. I think we could raise the fees at least somewhat without making it too expensive for the average family to afford all of the hunting/fishing opportunities Montana offers. I almost feel guilty walking over to the sporting goods store paying only $20 to be able hunt rutting muleys.

Then you should feel even more guilty that you DONT pay $20...you pay $16.

Nice to know that the Montana adult priced resident buck deer A-tags have gone up a whopping $14 over the price of my first youth deer A-tag that I bought in 1980 for $2. In 35 years the average "fee increase" per year is about 30 cents (assuming the adult fee was $4 in 1980). You know, the fee increases that people bitch about every time a resident fee increase is mentioned at a public meeting.

At 12 years old, in 1980, I mowed enough lawns that I would have come up with $16 for a what is now a full priced deer tag for a Montana Resident deer hunter.

What a joke.

It's all about how much you want it and willing to sacrifice, although life does/can put a kink in the plans. Before, I wouldn't have been able to do this. Now, my kids are grown, so there's no problem with leaving children at home with the wife, which was one reason I didn't do it until recently. I have right now 248 hrs of vacation to use, and that's after already being on two other vacations this year, so time isn't a factor. My wife takes trips that she enjoys (Israel in Oct), so she can't complain. The $1500 figure doesn't include equipmen for camp or hunting, because those are things that will last well after the two week hunt.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some CO, but you realize if a NR comes to CO to hunt deer and elk the price for tags would be $997 and include a fishing license? The MT combo tag is $991.

Brownbear, a fellow Hokie? Cheers!

Cheers to you also my firend! Yes fellow Hokie, been displaced in Wild Wonderful WV for 3 years now. But waiting on my start date for transfer back to good ole VA as we speak! :D

I haven't missed an elk hunt in Colorado in the last 60 years. 45 of those years were as a NR. I drove 2000 miles round trip every year. So, I know what you NR are going through. I finally decided 15 years ago that I had enough, and moved here. So, it would be silly for me to go to another state to hunt elk now. I moved here to get away from that.

My only regret is not moving here sooner. Like 60 years ago.

It bothers me to see the NR hunters being gouged so bad.

I think I'm sitting out on Alaska this year :( Can I join you at the trail cam? It would be a good year for the 2 of us to finally get together. I've got a couple wheelers and new package of smiley gummies what could go wrong?

Uff sitting out AK is rough.

I'm not a very good wheeler

Gummies make it all better don't they? Are they cheaper or more expensive in Montana than Colorado?

I'm 28, and pissed off because I just now figured out how much I was messing up by not hunting a general elk/muley combo in MT every year. I will be rectifying that situation ASAP.

As some of the other "non-western living" hunters have pointed out, value of the tag is in the eye of the holder. 11 weeks of hunting means nothing if you're only hunting one week a fall. Any weapon means nothing if you have to choose the right week to hunt and there is no choice in your timeframe.

Montana is kind of like moving to that really sweet apartment complex with all the amenities. You convince yourself that paying more is worth it for all the extra. In the end, you paid extra for regular apartment and all those amenties are sitting unused. You never visit the pool, you don't play tennis, you don't book the party room and you don't visit the gym. In fact you probaly a have a gym membership anyways......

I'm another MN guy and living east of the MIssissippi helps a little, but the drive the the west side of Montana is farther than the drive as to get to anywhere in CO, WY or NM elk country.

The way I see it, I can hunt in in Montana, Colorado and Wyoming every year if I'm only interested in meat. The differences in tag prices are remarkable and requires consideration of many other factors. Montana has a lot to offer, but a 20-30% markup isn't quite justified. Even considering the opportunity to come back for a second opportunity later in the season, the gas for that trip alone will be another $400 and 2000 miles. I could get a cow tag in one of the other states for the price of another trip to montana. It creates a lot of choices.

I have everything I need to do a backpack or truck hunt, so the cost evaluation is very simple for me. As someone with no experience in MT, the price is a fairly strong deterrent. Especially since I still want to hunt deer and birds and fish in the state I already live in and own licenses for. And for anyone following tag prices, my MN resident deer tag is $26 and rising. My MN turkey tag is $23.

Last edited:
wyoming

I think wyo. is better. I just purchased , Area 37 left over cow elk tag $288. oct 1st-dec.20th. (You cant eat antlers)

Last edited:
This would be a great idea for Montana, here in Idaho residents pay $30.75 for an elk tag, if Montana would do the same and drop there non-resident prices by the extra they get from a resident license you wouldn't have left over combo license's I would assume..... Idaho price's are not bad for the 10 day non resident hunter and for almost all units there is no quota, $416.75 elk and $301.75 Deer, is $718.50, most units which ever weapon you come too hunt with both season's are open simultaneously, I don't think that you can get much better than Montana and Idaho for price too go elk hunting on a millions of acres of public land, lived here (idaho) for 15 years and haven't bought red meat in 12 of those years, take what I said with a grain of salt, Both are a great option, not sure why a bunch of western's hunters are complaining about what they LOVE too do? it probably wouldn't matter too 1/2 of the diehards if the price doubled for tag's or even tripled for resident prices, I would pay $500 for a tag(as a resident), oh wait I did last year for a second...... great opportunities in the western US....
Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caveman84
Back