Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Blame HuntTalk.

Are crossbows legal during archery up there? Lighted nocks? I get confused:D;)

Absolutely! You can check your trail camera's and keep track of the elk herds by video streamed from your Drone too. Now where exactly will you be camped, and area your going to be hunting? You know just so I don't bother your hunt. ;):eek:

Value is in the eye of the beholder.

I could hunt Idaho cheaper than Montana on an OTC tag. I would, however, have to choose a zone and a weapon preference. My seasons would likely be a little shorter and offer me less flexibility.

I could hunt Wyoming cheaper than Montana, but I would spend as much additional gas money as I would to buy a Montana tag instead. Same with Utah or Colorado.

NoWiser is likely correct, in that a very high percentage of NR hunters will never use the fishing license and/or upland bird license. It's always thrown out as "added value", when in reality it's a feel good measure for most. I am fortunate enough that I live close to enough to take advantage of these.

When you look at combined prices for deer and elk, Montana is very competitive and somewhat of a bargain (if there is a $1000 "bargain") relative to other states when you look at what you can get without accumulating a number of points. To buy both in Idaho you are looking at about the same price, with the caveats listed above.

Absolutely! You can check your trail camera's and keep track of the elk herds by video streamed from your Drone too. Now where exactly will you be camped, and area your going to be hunting? You know just so I don't bother your hunt. ;):eek:

Just listen for "Stranglehold" blasting off an ATV radio, I'll be no more than 10 ft from it.

The closest thing I can see would be WY, and you pay $577 for your bull and $312 for your deer. Sounds like $889 and you aren't even guarateed an elk tag every year?

I love WY, great seasons like MT, good populations, but it is pretty tough to quibble over prices when you really look at them.

Sorry, but all I see is $841 for an elk tag. I don't consider that a good deal. I don't need a fishing license to go with it. I have enough fishing right here. I'm sure i'm not alone with these thoughts.

I have no need to leave Colorado for elk hunting, but I have friends who used to go to Montana, and won't go now because of the tag increase in price. Not that they can't afford it. It's a principle thing with them. My memory is fuzzy, but didn't the fee jump $200-$300 in one year, and that's when the big number of leftover tags started?

You couldn't give me $841 to come to Colorado to hunt elk at all during the fall.

Yeah I blame all you S.O.B.'s every dang year. My tale hurts each time I order tags and that is about anywhere out west these days. But I guess I am a 1% also on the birds I love to hammer them after spending time chasing elk/mulies.

However I do gotta agree on one point here most NR's can only take advantage of 1 week but they have several to choose from is the good part.:)

Attachments

• 1422408_10200825708070942_1655141250_n.jpg
    1422408_10200825708070942_1655141250_n.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 509
  • 1450168_10200825715591130_446183466_n.jpg
    1450168_10200825715591130_446183466_n.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 500
Idaho will run you $530 out the door. 3 weeks of rifle, guaranteed tag, OTC. I would venture to say a similar quality hunt, with less private property, but maybe not as large of bulls. You would be able to come home with something as you can shoot a wolf, cat or bear with that elk tag.

You DO have to choose your weapon, which doesn't matter if you only have 1 week of vacation with no if's and's or butt's

I see where your coming from, as I wouldn't go to Montana to fish or hunt anything other than elk (regarding my opportunities here) If a guy has 2-3 weeks of vacation to blast up there it would be a really fun trip with lots to do.

But I will say that if your pinching pennies and stretching the budget that tight to make it happen, it might not be your year to hunt out of state.

Sorry, but all I see is $841 for an elk tag. I don't consider that a good deal. I don't need a fishing license to go with it. I have enough fishing right here. I'm sure i'm not alone with these thoughts.

I have no need to leave Colorado for elk hunting, but I have friends who used to go to Montana, and won't go now because of the tag increase in price. Not that they can't afford it. It's a principle thing with them. My memory is fuzzy, but didn't the fee jump $200-$300 in one year, and that's when the big number of leftover tags started?

Don't get me wrong, I love me some CO, but you realize if a NR comes to CO to hunt deer and elk the price for tags would be $997 and include a fishing license? The MT combo tag is $991.

Brownbear, a fellow Hokie? Cheers!

The price increase also happened to coincide with the start of the last recession.

Nothing wrong at all if you don't feel it's worth the money.

Colorado will run you $1003 out the door for just a deer and an elk tag. Considering the season length, I would consider MT a good deal for NR's.

Colorado will run you $1003 out the door for just a deer and an elk tag. Considering the season length, I would consider MT a good deal for NR's.

It has always puzzled me why an elk license alone in MT is so much more expensive than neighboring states. Again, you can argue season length and flexibility, but the price difference between an elk combo and a deer/elk combo is only 170 bucks. It's a small enough difference that it kind of makes it a no brainer to pick up the deer tag, which could certainly explain why a lot of 2 year old muley bucks die in November.

It has always puzzled me why an elk license alone in MT is so much more expensive than neighboring states. Again, you can argue season length and flexibility, but the price difference between an elk combo and a deer/elk combo is only 170 bucks. It's a small enough difference that it kind of makes it a no brainer to pick up the deer tag, which could certainly explain why a lot of 2 year old muley bucks die in November.

How much more expensive is it than an alternative license, that's guaranteed, and lets you hunt 10 weeks, either weapon, for endless amounts of places to hunt for XL bull elk, with no restrictions on hunting in wilderness, and gives you the option to gun a big rutting buck for an extra $170. Kinda sounds like a no-brainer to me.

For someone who lives in a state where there is no elk hunting, MT is the way to go. I could have spent years building PP's at a cost per year, and wait until the draw date to hope and pray I would draw, but I chose to turn on the computer, log on to MT DNR, pull out my credit card, hit "send", and wait for the mailman! Presto...done! Drove 2 days cross country, hunted 2 days into my 14 day DIY archery hunt in some beautiful country (didn't see another hunter besides my hunting partner) , killed what I consider a really great P&Y bull and come home.

After $850+/- for the tag, gas, two nights in a hotel while traveling. ...$1500-ish. $1500 for a hunt I'll never forget, in some of the most beautiful country I've hunted (coming from a NC guy), a P&Y bull. Yea, I'll take it and will thank Montana all day for such a bargain. I know, I may hunt the next 5 years and not kill another bull, but who cares!

However, I think everyone should avoid MT and choose another state. Those crazy license fees!:D

Last edited:
We all get different things from hunting. If you enjoy antlers, and having a dead head on the wall. Montana may seem like a good deal.

Personally, I enjoy the hunt, filling the freezer, and paying $49 for it. Plus, I can do it every year.

Different strokes etc.

What NO ELK HUNTING IN NC!!! ....you mean I shouldn't have (I mean couldnt/didnt ) hunt the elk around cataloochee valley on my way trout fishing?

Att: all wildlife officers surfing the net...this is a joke

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back