MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Blame HuntTalk.

Jwill

I'm in. Closer we got to last call, the better it looked... See ya in November. :)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 2,342
They'll always be a surplus with the fees they charge.

That's funny, I don't know of a better deal anywhere for a non-resident..

The 2015 Archery Season runs Sept 5–Oct 18.
2015 General Big Game Season runs Oct 24–Nov 29
Big Game (Deer & Elk) Combo License—$991
Youth Big Game Combo License—$500.50
Elk Combo License—$841
Deer Combo Licenses—$587

Combo licenses also include a fishing license, upland game bird license & Hunting Access Enhancement Fee.

That's funny, I don't know of a better deal anywhere for a non-resident..

The 2015 Archery Season runs Sept 5–Oct 18.
2015 General Big Game Season runs Oct 24–Nov 29
Big Game (Deer & Elk) Combo License—$991
Youth Big Game Combo License—$500.50
Elk Combo License—$841
Deer Combo Licenses—$587

Combo licenses also include a fishing license, upland game bird license & Hunting Access Enhancement Fee.

Truth, access, opportunity, weapon choice and flexibility to hunt when you want is well worth the premium.

Given how the leftover numbers have decreased steadily over the last three years indicates people are finally catching on.

Truth, access, opportunity, weapon choice and flexibility to hunt when you want is well worth the premium.

Given how the leftover numbers have decreased steadily over the last three years indicates people are finally catching on.

It also indicates a better economy.

Most western states saw a decrease in NR hunters during the recession, IIRC.

The more you look at it, the more you realize that CO just has better marketing.

It's not that great of a deal when you look at it from a NR perspective who can only take one week of vacation. I'd venture to guess that 99% of those who buy the combo never wet a line or shoot a bird on their elk hunt.

Montana can charge whatever they want. I have no say in it. But, the cost of the license is the biggest reason I have not elk hunted there yet. Maybe someday I will. It sounds like I'm missing out.

Good luck Jwill!! Post a story when your hunt is over!

It's not that great of a deal when you look at it from a NR perspective who can only take one week of vacation. I'd venture to guess that 99% of those who buy the combo never wet a line or shoot a bird on their elk hunt.

I'm a 1%er on this, grouse is good camp meat.

Even if you can only take 1 week of vacation, layer that against a state like Colorado that has four weeks of continual pressure on the animals. With the 11 weeks in Montana you can carve out some time in the middle where pressure has calmed a bit or play the weather if your job allows you flexibility when taking time off.

I'm coming up you MT sissy lala's and I'm not leaving until the rivers flow red with my carnage.(Or until my wife calls and tells me it's time to come home)

I'm a 1%er on this, grouse is good camp meat.

Even if you can only take 1 week of vacation, layer that against a state like Colorado that has four weeks of continual pressure on the animals. With the 11 weeks in Montana you can carve out some time in the middle where pressure has calmed a bit or play the weather if your job allows you flexibility when taking time off.

This Exactly ^^^ (especially the grouse part)

Would love to hear where guys are finding an guaranteed elk license of equivalent quality, for less $.

You get what you pay for.

Of course, even with Obama in office ;)

There's even some guy on TV who keeps telling his viewers how awesome it is too.

What a jerk.

;)

Yeah, he's more than a jerk.

Would love to hear where guys are finding an guaranteed elk license of equivalent quality, for less $.

You get what you pay for.

I say it whenever I am asked, "The Montana general elk tag would take 4-6 points to draw in most other states to get a similar quality hunt, with none having anywhere near the length of seasons as Montana."

Tonight you will see me hunting a Limited Entry elk tag in UT. I think I had 5 points and was picked as an alternate. Cost was $65 license, plus $800 for the permit. Total of $865.

Season starts August 15 and runs through September 11th, just about the time the rut is getting in gear. You only get those days and you have to pick your weapon. That's 27 days, but the first two weeks are almost useless, unless you like hunting elk over a waterhole.

This year, 35 non-residents applied for that same UT tag I drew last year. There are two bonus tags awarded to the applicants with the most points. One tag when to a guy with 9 points, the other went to one of the two applicants with 7 points. Add to the $865 that I paid, the cost of 7 years worth of licenses and application fees, and those guys have well over $1,300 invested in that elk tag.

As to quality, this unit in Utah is considered run of the mill, further supported by the fact you can draw it with less than 10 points. I spent one day scouting and five days hunting. The quality of bulls I would have found on a Montana general archery hunt is normally better than what I saw on this Utah hunt. Maybe my experience is just an anomaly.

That experience further supports my opinion that the Montana general elk tag would take many points to draw in other states, when considering the 11 weeks you get on a Montana elk tag, plus your ability to switch weapons, the fact the general tag gives you most the state to hunt, and the quality of the bulls is very good.

Below is the B&C Typical elk entries, by state, for the last decade. Most of the Montana bulls are coming from general units you can hunt with the leftover tag. Locals are happy when folks see MT as an "opportunity" state.

B&C elk.jpg

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back