Blame HuntTalk.

We all get different things from hunting. If you enjoy antlers, and having a dead head on the wall. Montana may seem like a good deal.

Personally, I enjoy the hunt, filling the freezer, and paying $49 for it. Plus, I can do it every year.

Different strokes etc.

Interesting. From what I've seen the antlers typically come from a hunt, and with meat for the freezer.

I do it every year also, for $20. You're getting ripped off in Colorado. :D

How much more expensive is it than an alternative license, that's guaranteed, and lets you hunt 10 weeks, either weapon, for endless amounts of places to hunt for XL bull elk, with no restrictions on hunting in wilderness, and gives you the option to gun a big rutting buck for an extra $170. Kinda sounds like a no-brainer to me.

It sounds like a no-brainer that residents would be willing to pay more than what they are.

We all get different things from hunting. If you enjoy antlers, and having a dead head on the wall. Montana may seem like a good deal.

Personally, I enjoy the hunt, filling the freezer, and paying $49 for it. Plus, I can do it every year.

Different strokes etc.

Different arguments, we were discussing NR fees and opportunities, no?

Last edited:
It sounds like a no-brainer that residents would be willing to pay more than what they are.

I'd pay the $871 to get my elk/deer license, if need be. Sadly, I'm able to get them for almost free.

I haven't done the combo in MT yet.. maybe next year. Been to Wyoming the last 3 falls for something or other. Drive time is the killer for me, as western MT adds another 8 hrs and a tank of gas each way for me over Colorado or Wyoming.

I have eaten 2 consecutive MT bear tags though..

I originally applied for Wyoming special tag, 2nd choice general and didn't draw. From what I have read, this is the first year that not all of the people making this choice didn't draw a tag. It would have cost me $1071.00 if I remember correctly. This was what I thought was a "guaranteed" elk-only tag. To me, the Montana elk/deer combo has always been the backup. It may turn out that I would rather hunt Montana if I have chosen my hunt areas wisely and have some luck. I would like to do an Idaho deer/elk general OTC hunt sometime, but it is a lot of extra drive time through some really nice Montana elk/deer country. To each his own, I guess.

I spoke with hundreds of NR hunters during this years' harvest survey. They all had a good time and plan on coming back. Only a handful complained about the tag price, and they were very gracious in doing so. Very appreciative for the opportunity. Nice folks.

Just listen for "Stranglehold" blasting off an ATV radio, I'll be no more than 10 ft from it.

I think I'm sitting out on Alaska this year :( Can I join you at the trail cam? It would be a good year for the 2 of us to finally get together. I've got a couple wheelers and new package of smiley gummies what could go wrong?

I think I'm sitting out on Alaska this year :( Can I join you at the trail cam? It would be a good year for the 2 of us to finally get together. I've got a couple wheelers and new package of smiley gummies what could go wrong?

Just don't block the road. I like to slow down, but not stop as I bugle. I can cover more ground that way.

Maybe a good deal when bundled with a deer tag. Lets not lose site of the fact, its still $991 for a non resident to hunt an elk in Montana. That's a lot of money for a working stiff like myself. What does and elk tag cost a resident?

Common tactic in some parts of Montana. A 4-wheeler works best. mtmuley

Don't have one, and I can drive faster than I can ride my mountain bike. Plus, I won't spill my beer as easy.

Busch Light is still the official beer of roadhunters, right?

Schmidt a close second. And 4-wheelers make beer go flat fast. Good thinking. mtmuley

I wish I could choke down the cost of non res elk tags, an elk tag for a resident in MT is $20 if I'm reading the site correctly. This is why I doubt I will ever go elk hunting, and the fact I refuse to do it alone, so now try finding others that want to spend $1000 for a combo license. :(

I wish I could choke down the cost of non res elk tags, an elk tag for a resident in MT is $20 if I'm reading the site correctly. This is why I doubt I will ever go elk hunting, and the fact I refuse to do it alone, so now try finding others that want to spend $1000 for a combo license. :(

I save for it year round. $30 a week is $1560. Most guys spend more than that in one week on eating out and/or booze

That last part, IME, here in the midwest is harder than coming up with the $1K for the tags. Price and time away from work/home keep alot of folks on the couch.

I save for it year round. $30 a week is $1560. Most guys spend more than that in one week on eating out and/or booze

I do "choke" down a lot of craft beer, I guess I now can't complain... I could start drinking bud light and take the extra craft beer money and use it to hunt :)....nope...can't do it...lol

I just accept the fact that it is going to cost me around $1500 to go elk hunting. It is something I love doing and I start an "elk fund" the week I return from hunting.

I cant say I agree with the R vs NR price structure, but that isn't for me to determine. I plan to do it as long as my body allows... with friends or alone.... Montana, Colorado, Idaho, Wyoming, Arizona, Utah..... don't really care it is all beautiful country and provides a lifetime of memories.

Just me.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back