PEAX Equipment

Bipods?

DRS

Thinking about getting a bipod for one of my rifles. One of my brothers had a Harris bipod way back in the 1970s and 1980s and that's the extent of my knowledge about them. Is that a good brand and are there any others that are currently popular?

Harris is good. I have their tallest version. I have had it for 15 years with zero issues. Recently got a knock off 9-13 off Amazon. It is not as good, but is pretty close. It was less than half the cost though, so I wanted to give it a try. A little Loctite on one nut and she is great.

Chinese Harris knockoff with locking pivot for half the price and has worked fine for several years now.

Thanks very much for the input. Another naïve question I have is what height would be best for general hunting purposes?

Thanks very much for the input. Another naïve question I have is what height would be best for general hunting purposes?

9-13" would be the hunting prone model, the issue being if you are in sage brush country or similar 13" is not enough in some cases to shoot over vegetation. 6-9" are the bench and tactical models so ignore those. The 20"+ ones are for shooting from a sitting position.

On the RokSlide forum, they recently did a field test of several bipods. You may want to check that out as there were ones that I have never head of. They looked at ease of use, weight, cost, etc....

9-13" would be the hunting prone model, the issue being if you are in sage brush country or similar 13" is not enough in some cases to shoot over vegetation. 6-9" are the bench and tactical models so ignore those. The 20"+ ones are for shooting from a sitting position.
this right here.. I have a 9-13" that is ideal to shoot prone.. only real problem is the places we hunt are not the range. its not too difficult to block your view in the wild. we switched to the 13-26 (I believe) and shot 5 animals from the sitting position 2 from the prone (it is a little taller than my smaller bipod so it helps to be just over the edge of a ridge or have a little dip to lower the barrel when prone

I have a Harris works well for me I've had it for 20 years.

I also have a Harris bipod and it has worked well for about the last 25 years. The only thing I would do different is to get the swiveling model.

I used to use Harris and Atlas.

Tried an Evolution modular bipod and ditched my Harris and my Atlas. The Evo is light, strong, and the legs are modular, so you can switch between long or short legs in a few seconds.

http://www.evolutionbipod.com/

This guy has a pretty thorough review of them here: [video=youtube;Y09TE3it2iQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y09TE3it2iQ[/video]

I think Harris is the best value for a hunting bipod. Although nice looking I can't justify spending $300 plus on the new wave bipods out now. If that is what a guy likes and wants then no problem and more power to them but the Harris gets the job done very nicely at a third of the price easy.

I have a Snipepod and have been very happy. Of you aren't familiar they are made in Montana, are super easy to switch between rifles, large length of adustablility for shooting prone or sitting. Their website is horrible, but the product is great.

Last year, when I readying myself for my Lope hunt, I asked a similar question. The experienced consensus was.... no bipod, sticks. I'm glad I listened.

The sticks pulled multiple duty as rifle rest, walking sticks, Bino rest, etc. and I could do it from a sitting, kneeling or full standing position. Didn't change the weight ratio on my rifle either.

About 1/2 the price too.

Last edited:
I believe its a V2 sitting 30". Call them and they can recommend a size, depending on your height and what you want. I personally end up taking more shots while sitting down.

Last edited:
Lots of great advice above. I gave up on bipods based on the topography I usually hunt..it restricted me too much to a certain elevation....also didn't like the weight it added......I now use some featherweight aluminum bipod (Coldwell standing model bipod-Amazon)multi section bungee tethered that collapses into my backpack if not needed...but can quietly open to any length....prone, sitting or fully standing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back