Rifle Sling vs Pack Gun Bearer

fmnjr

Backpack/mountain hunting, looking to cut gear/weight. Currently debating whether to forego the rifle sling altogether. Will be using a gun bearer/pack setup so why do I need a sling (or an attached bipod for that matter)? Seems unnecessary but checking in with other backpack hunters about this seemed a good idea.

I always use the gun bearer.
In this pic the rifle is in the bearer and my hands are free to shoot ptarmigan.
The way you sling the barrel off the backside is interesting. I've been slinging it to the front where the release can be flipped and the gun just sort of falls into my grip. I do see there isn't any sling which is what I'm going for. If you mind me asking, what is that terrain?

The way you sling the barrel off the backside is interesting. I've been slinging it to the front where the release can be flipped and the gun just sort of falls into my grip. I do see there isn't any sling which is what I'm going for. If you mind me asking, what is that terrain?
I only attached the barrel in the back because it interfered with me shouldering the shotgun. If I was only toting the rifle the barrel would be attached on the front side shoulder strap.
North Slope Brooks Range

I only attached the barrel in the back because it interfered with me shouldering the shotgun. If I was only toting the rifle the barrel would be attached on the front side shoulder strap.
North Slope Brooks Range
Sorta figures you had it arranged that way because of the shotgun.

I use the “Slik Sling”. Similar to the pack type setup in that it keeps the barrel out of your periphery, but quick and easy to get the rifle out when needed without removing your pack as with the gun-bearer style.

I use gunbearer but keep bipod and sling attached
Been using that setup but now I find it annoying and want to strip all gear that is not absolutely needed. Using the gun bearer for carry with the trek poles and pack as possible support is what I'm aiming for. Best of luck to you this season.

Is Kifaru the only one that makes the gun bearer? I see some people referring to style. I want a gun bearer but I have a rule not to support Kifaru as long as they are associated with that douche snyder

I use the “Slik Sling”. Similar to the pack type setup in that it keeps the barrel out of your periphery, but quick and easy to get the rifle out when needed without removing your pack as with the gun-bearer style.
I like this option, maybe I'll give it go....thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back