Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Bipod? Shooting sticks? Backpack?

OhHeyThereBen

Hey all. I'm heading out this fall on an antelope hunt (pending a draw, my first western rifle hunt) and am wondering what you all recommend for a rest for shooting a rifle? I probably won't shoot much over 300 yards, but that for me is still a long shot. I'll of course get a bunch of practice in this spring and summer, but am just looking for advise.

It seems that a tallish bipod would be a good option for a sitting shot. Shooting sticks could be about the same, but involve carrying a couple of sticks around the whole time. Shooting off of a backpack frame seems like a likely candidate that I've seen Randy and the Meateater crew use many times, but for some reason I am skeptical that this would be a good enough rest for a 300 yard shot. Maybe I'm totally wrong though. I would think that the brush most of the time would prevent a fully prone shot with my backpack as a rest, but could be completely incorrect.

-Ben

I prefer a good bipod for sure. But I also carry shooting sticks for when the grass doesn't allow the use of a bipod.

Backpack and I carry stucks. I'll never have one of those clunky bipods on a rifle. mtmuley

In my backpack, I always pack a compact spotting scope and a lightweight tripod with me when I am rifle hunting. I decided to ditch the shooting sticks and go with a shooting yoke that slides right in the top of my tripod so I can shoot prone or sitting. I just pack the shooting yoke in my jacket pocket.

Start practicing with what you've got at the range and see what you are most comfortable with. A backpack in the prone or kneeling position will work just as well as a bipod in my opinion.

I use what I have with me. I can't tell you how many animals I have shot off my spotting scope tripod. I have also used my binos from a prone position. I lay my hat or something soft under the lenses and they make a great bipod.

In my backpack, I always pack a compact spotting scope and a lightweight tripod with me when I am rifle hunting. I decided to ditch the shooting sticks and go with a shooting yoke that slides right in the top of my tripod so I can shoot prone or sitting. I just pack the shooting yoke in my jacket pocket.
Mr. Ringo beat me to it. What I have found through trial and error is #1. shooting prone off bipods (like Harris) is best. #2 Sagebrush is tall, we have shot off sticks, monopod, combo of sticks with monopod to form tripod, backpack, and QD yoke attached to tripod. Of all we shot with prone unavailable removing a spotting scope and using a yoke on tripod was the best by far. The tripod was already in use to scope animal and set in position. Quick detach and shooter is up. Obviously not gonna be practical every time.
IMO the most accurate shooting has been:
1. Prone on bipods
2. Prone on any other available rest, pack, log, etc
3. Seated on Tripod, then kneeling -can't recall ever fully standing
4. Seated, kneeling on stick monopod combo to form tripod
5. Sticks-telescoping
6. Pack-I don't carry a frame pack, but I could see a rigid pack being equal to sticks in some cases
7. monopod-this is trekking pole with shooting yoke attached

Thanks for the information gents. I don't have a spotter as of yet so the tripod, although a great idea, won't be an option for me. I can imagine that shooting prone on the pack would be best, and will definitely practice sitting using the pack frame. I always have trekking poles with me so I'm thinking they would work just fine for shooting sticks.

I generally just throw down my backpack, but I've killed animals shooting off a bipod before too. Either way is good, but a bipod can make a rifle a tad uncomfortable to carry on a sling.

I've shoot off sticks before and don't like it. Everybody has their preferred method, though, and there are a lot of folks that swear by shooting sticks. I'm just not one of them.

I have never liked the idea of a bi-pod. Pay a bunch of money to get a light weight hunting rifle then hang one of those things on it? I did give the sticks a try, sort of. Made my own set with some hardwood dowel. Didn't hold very steady with they so leaned the rifle on them when resting and didn't have to lay it flat on the ground. Never fired the first shot with them. One more thing, even if I hauled a pack around with me, they wouldn't fit in it so I'd be stuck carrying them. One thing I have noticed about them is that most people using them are pretty sloppy about their body in shooting position!

I don't think anyone teach's the proper shooing positions any more other than the military, maybe!

Harris bipod and Kifaru Gunbearer. Works great.

12-26" swivel model is what we use.

I have a bipod on my rifle for when I am out and about. If I am on a short stalk I really like my trigger stick tripod.

Bipod for me. With antelope hunting you will find yourself belly crawling prone anyway, so it makes sense that this will be how most of your shots happen. Some guys like to use a pack for a rest, but I don't want the extra movement of unbuckling my pack, taking it off, pushing it up in front of me and then getting a rest. When you are cresting over a ridge trying to get a shot angle, your margin for staying hidden vs skylined can be only a few inches.

When hiking in the mountains though I rarely use one. I can usually find a log, branch etc for a rest, or just use my pack.

Regarding belly crawling, the bipod makes it easier to keep the rifle out of the dirt. I really like stabilizing the butt of the rifle with my left hand when prone, but that is impossible to do with sticks. I also leave my backpack behind when I start crawling (because it makes me more visible) so it isn't available as a rest. But considering the weight and clumsiness, I only bring a bipod if I'm expecting long shots.

Backpack and I carry stucks. I'll never have one of those clunky bipods on a rifle. mtmuley

This ^^^

In the timber for elk a bipod is as useless anything you can carry. Now maybe on an antelope hunt,,,maybe.

Bipod for me, it adjusts to be able to shoot prone or sitting. It’s the most accurate for me personally. I’ll deal with a little extra weight to be accurate.

I used to use a bipod a lot...haven't used one now for a long time. I find everywhere I go, I have a pack for a rest, and some ground to throw it on.

I do carry a lightweight rear bag.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
240shooter
Back