Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

BHA-Buzz Kudos!

“I think the process worked,” said Buzz Hettick, chairman for the Wyoming chapter of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers. “We all live in Wyoming for the outdoor opportunities it provides, and public lands are very important to the local economies.”

THIS is why my membership continues. Great people working for a great cause! Thanks Buzz for your representation as a leader within BHA for our public lands.

Happy to send my support to this from MT. I will probably never see this land, but worth it to fight for it.

I really appreciate the thanks, but to be honest, the thanks has to be with ALL the sportsmen/women that got involved with this.

It would be impossible to be effective in stopping things like this if not for the comments and time that many sportsmen put into this. There is power in numbers.

From what I understand, there has never been a land exchange proposal that received more public comments than this one. The Laramie meeting was attended by more people than any other public meeting for a proposed exchange. The binder that held all the comments was 3-4 inches thick, and the entire land board had it sitting on their desks at the meeting Thursday. Also know that the Wyoming Game and Fish Department wrote a key letter that stated managing elk in that area would be more difficult if this exchange went through. They didn't say they opposed the transaction out-right, but the tone of the letter spoke for itself. The Albany County Commissioners, and in particular Tim Sullivan, also played a key role, both behind the scenes and in public testimony.

That's not something that any one person can take much, if any credit, for. Its a group effort and I believe that a pretty strong message was sent to the State Lands Director, and the land board, that State public lands are important to hunters, and to the economy of the surrounding areas. Those state lands that provide legal access to other pieces of public are even more important.

My hope is that we can sit down with the land board and our elected officials and revisit how we prioritize what is considered with these exchanges. Right now, the OSLI, doesn't even have to consider public access, hunting, hiking, etc. Director Hill, while following her legal requirements, made it very obvious her office only considers the top 3 priorities. Economic impact to local economies, hunting, fishing, public access...aren't in the top 3. Another reason why I am a staunch supporter of keeping federal public lands in the control of the federal government and NOT the States.

I fully understand that revenue for the state school trust will always be a top priority. However, I would like to see more consideration given to outdoor recreation and the impact that public lands have on local economies. The Wyoming Wildlife Federation conducted an economic impact for Albany County related to hunting and fishing...25.3 million a year. That needs to be a consideration for things like these exchanges. It also demonstrates the vital role that public lands provide economically to local communities.

Back