Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Beware the Portland Pizza

Due to all of the complications of my liver, and prior blood clots, the surgeon is deferring the surgery until Friday, when he can do it in the hospital rather than as outpatient surgery. The good news is he said these tendons and muscles can be reconnected with 90+ percent success. He was pretty optimistic. He warned me I have three months of recovery. That could impair my Alaska bear hunting.
He is bang on the money, when I cut through a tendon it took 3 months off work, physiotherapy, and in between visits to hospital self physiotherapy.
My arm was in a removable cast so I could massage the tendon twice a day.

No pizza involved, cutting off a deers head in the dark with a blunt knife did for me.😂

Yikes! I’m sorry @Big Fin hoping for a great recovery and some therapy in the hunting woods.

Many reasons to avoid Portland. Adding this to the list.

Thanks to some foul Portland pizza, I got to spend eight hours Thursday nights in the ER, jostling with the crowd of homeless and drug-addicted that take refuge in local ERs on cold nights like Thursday night.

Around 11pm I texted Matthew that this pizza might be the end of me. Little did I know how prophetic that might be.

An hour later my body had a pizza rejection. I’m the worst at vomiting in the world. Which is why I’ve only vomited about three times in my adult life. But, there was no holding back.

I stood over and the toilet spraying foul pizza. Three successive blasts that felt like I was being gutted alive. Then the room started spinning. Evidently the exertion was too much for someone with inherently low blood pressure and a resting heart rate near 45.

When awoke I was laying in the shower in a pile of broken glass that once was a shower door and glass curtain. I looked over and remember seeing some puke on the side of the toilet. Damn, I better get that cleaned up. On my hands and knees I crawled over, only to realize my right arm wasn’t working.

Looking down I noticed a lot of blood and much of it was coming from two big holes in my right forearm. Oh oh. This looks like a problem.

View attachment 265269
Dang, I better get this taken care of and get to the ER. So I wrapped a towel around it and walked down to the lobby of the hotel and asked where the nearest urgent care was. The lady said you look like you need more than urgent care, and our driver will take you to the ER. So I did.

Now I’m patched up, stapled up and in a sling. Doc says I have a lot of tendons and muscle that are severed in my right hand/arm. I am scheduled for hand surgery Monday morning in Bozeman. Hoping that goes well.

Moral of the story - beware of the pizza in Portland
Beware of anything in Portland. It's a literal dump there. Why they continue to have that show there is beyond me. They need to move it somewhere sane before the locals do something crazy.

Wish you a speedy recovery @Big Fin hope Everything heals quick. That’s a scary thing to happen

On a side note after reading this and hearing your chili story from New Mexico I’m thinking someone needs to take away your decision making privileges when it comes to picking new places to eat.

Isn't that in Tonopah?
Yes, Tonopah. I used to travel out to the test range a lot for work, but changed departments and no longer go out there. I had promised myself I'd stay there my next visit, just saying that freaked out most of my coworkers.

From a report from a friend that stayed there, nice clean, not-fancy-at-all-but-adequate rooms.

David
NM

The one in PANAMINT SPRINGS is west a bit of DEATH VALLEY......its about 45-50 miles north of TRONA Cal.....another ''place'' thats interesting to say the least !!!

Home now. They could fix two of the three tendons, the two most important ones. He said he thinks the muscles repairs will be fine. Cant lift anything over 5# for twelve weeks My POW June bear hunt is in question. No beaver trapping. Cancelled the Havasau sunfish trip in April. He thinks I'll be ready for hunting season.

Thanks for all the kind thoughts.

Home now. They could fix two of the three tendons, the two most important ones. He said he thinks the muscles repairs will be fine. Cant lift anything over 5# for twelve weeks My POW June bear hunt is in question. No beaver trapping. Cancelled the Havasau sunfish trip in April. He thinks I'll be ready for hunting season.

Glad your doing better. What a nightmare that must of been.

Should I order you some rosa's Pizza? Too soon?

I think i may stay away from pizza myself for awhile after this thread.

Curious, what will the unattached tendon mean for you?

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back